Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
If it helps, Kirby is 8 inches tall, while Jigglypuff is 1 foot taller than him.

Anser said:
There's no way in hell King Dedede is that small.

I love that Rosalina is among the tallest characters, and the tallest female overall. It really does justice to her imposing persona.

... Some times I still can't believe she actually made it in the game...
I just don't believe King Dedede with that proportion to Kirby. IMO, he should be a bit taller, like around Pikachu.

txjG9uG.png

After all that Switch nonsense, here is my expected roster. Three things I wanted to focus on: Exciting newcomers with new mechanics (grass/flower element) and spear + ridiculous range. Also, amiibo were taken into account. The Ice Climbers were cut to keep 8 Player Smash, because those specs....

I still feel like that's too many. Your expected addition roster for a port of Smash is this list:

Daisy
Captain Toad
Waluigi
Midna
Waddle Dee
Wolf
Incineroar
Sceptile
Snake
Shovel Knight
Shantae

That's 11 characters. Even 5 sounds like it's too optimistic to me, so this is just insane to EXPECT the Smash 4 Switch version to have this many characters added. So even besides some disagreements I feel as a whole you're expecting way too much out of the Switch version

Not to mention that you're expecting this from a game that hasn't even been announced yet.

Has everyone just convinced themselves this is happening despite zero word on it from Nintendo?

I'm doubtful that we'd get one in all honesty

I still kind of enjoy a little speculation but we're absolutely not getting eleven new characters in a mere port

might post my own speculation things with reasons later

Magikrazy said:
Not to mention that you're expecting this from a game that hasn't even been announced yet.

Has everyone just convinced themselves this is happening despite zero word on it from Nintendo?

Again there were reports some months ago that Namco was working on a Smash for NX (It was still called NX at the time). It was way too soon for a true Smash 5. So everyone assumed it's a port of Smash 4. And the fact a MK8 port with extra features + characters was announced when the Switch was revealed only further convinced us that a Smash 4 Switch was coming.

memoryman3 said:

Going to go into a little more detail on my thought on each of the choices

3 Additional Mario characters: Of which I think only Captain Toad would have a shot, but even he is not necessarily that likely. Waluigi is still an Assist Trophy in Smash 4. I don't think they're promoting any Assist Trophies in a port, and not even going to get into Daisy again. We've beaten that dead horse of a discussion way too much. There's alot more important things we could be talking about the Smash Switch port at this point in time

Midna: Same with Waluigi. She's an assist trophy already.

Waddle Dee: Might be a good candidate should they find the need to give Kirby a 4th character but is not entirely a necessary inclusion

Wolf: To be honest while I'm sure Wolf is a possibility. I've kinda gotten burned so much expecting Wolf to be announced in Smash 4 that it's gotten to the point where I'm not actually sure if he will appear at all anymore. The release of Star Fox Zero plus Smash DLC gave Wolf the perfect opportunity. Yet it didn't come to pass. So the question has become if that didn't get Wolf back in Smash, then what will?

2 Additional Pokemon Characters: I think there would be only one more Pokemon character if any. And I would guess it to be a Gen 7 rep. Of which Incineroar is probably not the choice since we already have the fire type Charizard in the game. It almost seems like you have Incineroar and Sceptile just to be a bit of a troll for those who are thinking Decidueye. When it's probably a natural expectation based on what Gamefreak may want to add as a Gen 7 promotional character and a grass starter to complete the elemental trio that Charizard and Greninja compose 2/3rds of. Not saying Sceptile is completely unlikely for that choice, but if Gamefreak wanted Sceptile that badly to complete the elemental trio. I bet it would of been DLC to promote Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Snake: As much as I'd like him back. Konami's probably not going to change their stubborn ways soon enough to allow Snake back in. It's unfortunate but Konami has killed any possibility of Snake coming back anytime soon.

Shovel Knight and Shantae: As much as I wouldn't mind Shantae, I still have many doubts about indie characters. As much as Bayonetta has really broken the mold for 3rd Party inclusions. She's still a recognizable character amongst gamers. While Shantae could argue as such since Shantae's been around since 2002 she's never really been as big as many of the other mascots back then nor now. And Shovel Knight is way too new for a non-nintendo inclusion. Shovel Knight still needs a few more years and probably a proper sequel or two before he can really get in Smash

Some of these choices would be decent if we were to get at least 5. But if the rumor of only 2 is true there's several reasons to doubt many of these choices

The most recent SourceGaming podcast brought up an interesting idea.

How would you feel if a ported Smash for Switch transitioned to a title that received updates every few months or so. They have a solid engine and roster now and it would be hard to go back for a future game. I'm not saying abandon new Smash games all together, but instead build on Smash 4 with constant updates over the months and years. The game would receive updates like costumes and new characters and stages throughout its lifetime. Think like Overwatch or Splatoon.

Sorry, not exactly sure how to phrase this.

Sounds nice, but it seems like we're taking a gamble here, betting our 60 bucks if this update is going to be crap or not. I still think it's not worth forsaking mods though. But that's me, I'm in the minority who thinks mods are a huge deal.

the fighters they'll most likely add will be:

wolf (they really need to throw him a bone)
ice climbers (if the 3DS version shot down their chances in being in the wii u version, they'll probably have better luck for the switch port)
two newcomers (inkling considering splatoon was a success, and a representative from pokemon gen VII. I would say 7 pokemon fighters would be too much but the 6 fire emblem characters disprove that)

on the topic of mods, even if modders have to restart for the port, that doesn't mean they'll stop modding the wii u version. brawl mods
are still being made to this day, so why wouldn't it be the same case here?

Kamina said:
on the topic of mods, even if modders have to restart for the port, that doesn't mean they'll stop modding the wii u version. brawl mods
are still being made to this day, so why wouldn't it be the same case here?

uh who is arguing that?

i'm pretty sure modders will continue just modding the wii u version until it's easier to make mods for it (smashforge for example is still being developed on), it's easier to finish projects than start a lot of new ones.

Smasher Claus said:
I'm doubtful that we'd get one in all honesty

I still kind of enjoy a little speculation but we're absolutely not getting eleven new characters in a mere port

might post my own speculation things with reasons later

Actually, a port has the chance to get a ridiculous amount of content.

Northern Verve said:
I still feel like that's too many. Your expected addition roster for a port of Smash is this list:

Daisy
Captain Toad
Waluigi
Midna
Waddle Dee
Wolf
Incineroar
Sceptile
Snake
Shovel Knight
Shantae

That's 11 characters. Even 5 sounds like it's too optimistic to me, so this is just insane to EXPECT the Smash 4 Switch version to have this many characters added. So even besides some disagreements I feel as a whole you're expecting way too much out of the Switch version

Yes, I go against the status quo, and Mario Kart is reported to have 16 new tracks + new Battle Mode + new characters + new Double Items mode. Of course I would expect a bucketful of new characters for Smash Switch, and it can be done if there is a large team.

The difference is that characters in a Smash port are a much bigger deal. Even adding on character means balancing the whole roster. Adding a whole. Much makes the balancing process even trickier. Mario Kart is easier to just slap new content into because of the nature of the game.

I'll admit, my initial prediction of seven characters is probably a little much. I'd say three now, with five being the absolute most.

memoryman3 said:
Northern Verve said:

Daisy
Captain Toad
Waluigi
Midna
Waddle Dee
Wolf
Incineroar
Sceptile
Snake
Shovel Knight
Shantae

Yes, I go against the status quo, and Mario Kart is reported to have 16 new tracks + new Battle Mode + new characters + new Double Items mode. Of course I would expect a bucketful of new characters for Smash Switch, and it can be done if there is a large team.
yeah, smash bros isn't mario kart at all

while characters for mario kart, besides having different models, are all pretty much the same, making smash characters is very much harder. not only do you have to make different models, but they also need different physics, hitboxes, movesets, etc. so I think you're underestimating how time-consuming it is to make eleven fighters

First, that could have easily been one post. Second, completely per the above two. With how time consuming it is to create and balance a new character, along with the fact that there's other things that could be added as well, there's a much larger chance we'd get less or even no new content.

I'd love eleven new characters of course, but it's ridiculously optimistic. The absolute most I could see them adding is seven, which would match DLC, and even that seems a little like wishful thinking. I'd expect about three, if any.

GalacticPetey said:
The difference is that characters in a Smash port are a much bigger deal. Even adding on character means balancing the whole roster. Adding a whole. Much makes the balancing process even trickier. Mario Kart is easier to just slap new content into because of the nature of the game.

I'll admit, my initial prediction of seven characters is probably a little much. I'd say three now, with five being the absolute most.

The Double Item mechanic in Mario Kart 8 will require item balance tweaking, and new tracks take a ton of effort to make, as they need new assets and AI programmed for each track. Modelling characters to fit in every kart is easier than Smash, but not as easy as you guys make out to be. Plus, the DLC team was much smaller than the original Smash 4 team, and they still got out 7 characters in the span of a year. With a larger team and two years, I can easily see 10 or more new characters. You have to think about the value it has for the end consumer, not ''ohh balancing is so hard get over it!'

iirc it's been explicitly stated that development on smash 4 had stopped after corrin and bayonetta were released. do you really think they would secretly work on ten extra characters all this time, in a process that would take at least half a year?

Back