• Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
GalacticPetey said:
Tournaments have more power and sway in the community than a few bitter people on a message board. They're treating it as its own game.

The community doesn't decide what is a game and what is not.

That's like saying that if a fan-fiction is popular enough, it is it's own story, even though it is not published nor is it created by the people that created what was the origin behind that fan-fiction.

Project M is a very popular Modded version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl that is used in unofficial tournaments because it runs better in a tournament setting. Heck, even the creators of Project M call it a mod made by the community to make a smoother, better gameplay version of Brawl.

With all due respect, if you're referring to all the people on here "bitter" just because you're trying to argue the reasons why you feel that PM is it's own game without even refuting the arguments as to why it is not a game, then I believe you need to re-think your entire stance before trying to insult a bunch of people.

sto·ry1
ˈstôrē/
noun
an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment.
"an adventure story"

A fan fiction is by definition a story, even though it's based on something else. By what you're saying, a sequel shouldn't count because it requires an earlier story to exist.

What makes Project M stand on its own is the community. I'm not insulting anyone. You're getting upset over something trivial. By some technicality it may not fit the traditional sense of a "game" but it has such a fan base that it is, for all intents and purposes, its own thing.

I'm done with this discussion. I made my point clear awhile ago but others insisted on dragging this out. This is a Smash 4 thread.

If you are done, then I respect that, but I just want to set it straight that a lot of people were arguing over the fact that it does not qualify it as a game and instead as a mod due to the fact that it dependent on Brawl in order to exist, meaning that there has to be a Brawl file to make it it's own game, thus why people are calling it a mod and not it's own game. It is not published/approved by the creators, so if we are to consider it a game, it is simply a unofficial fan-game. I don't want you to mix up or twist my/their words into believing something I/they did not say.

GalacticPetey said:
Tournaments have more power and sway in the community than a few bitter people on a message board. They're treating it as its own game.

Those "few bitter people" you're talking about (me) know how Project M modifies game data and how it runs. I'm not even bitter, lol, I have nothing but praise for Project M, since I do understand the effort that goes into making the mod, and that it's an ungodly amount of times better than vanilla Brawl. It's ---ing hard work. However, I do know its limitations; hell, the limitations confined by Brawl's current engine is also another element into why it cannot be its own game.

But whatever, I don't want to drag this out any more. We can go debate in the Project M thread instead.

As for the topic at hand, mmmm don't be surprised if Shovel Knight comes in :]

Lapis Lazuli said:
GalacticPetey said:
Tournaments run it as a separate event and under a different name. It's its own game.

Oh yes, the almighty tournaments. I'm sure that having a modded game played there makes it completely official, even though it's still dependent on having a Brawl disc in it. I am so sorry that I even underestimated the merits of Project M and that if it appears in a tournament that it automatically makes it a game. Nope, has nothing to do with it just being a popular modded game that it's a lot easier to label it by itself than having to draw out things to people that already know about it.
That sarcastic attitude came out of nowhere. Don't resort to that when you're arguing with someone who disagrees with you.

GalacticPetey said:
Tournaments don't decide whenever a game is a standalone, at least as far as I know. As Stargazing pointed out, they separate Project M from vBarlw in tourneys because its gameplay and following is different enough. They don't say "we host Meele, 64, Barlw/Project M", they deliberately separate Project M for convenience. Its dependency on Brawl's engine makes it a mod. Finally, having a tourney following by itself isn't the difference between a mod and full-fledged game. It has no bearing on the game structure itself.

If tournies do insist that Project M is a separate game, then they're misleading people and I'll continue criticizing them for that. Sure, they're an authority figure, but a flawed argument is a flawed argument.

Project M isn't the only tourney option anyway. Brawl- has its own niche following in tournies as well, but people usually don't bring it up in discussions pertaining to their favorite Smash Bros. game. Would you consider Brawl- a separate game?

GalacticPetey said:
I'm done with this discussion. I made my point clear awhile ago but others insisted on dragging this out. This is a Smash 4 thread.
Not like your point was very strong, and we pointed out the flaws in your points. Don't be surprised that you think it's just "dragging it out".

The whole conversation was pretty monotonous anyway, Project M is treated as its own entity regardless of whether someone considers it a mod or a game.

I doubt Shovel Knight is going to be DLC from the Ballot. The Japanese side of things hardly knows Shovel Knight (That game is coming to Japan but it's going to be a little while until then) and there's too many possible 1st Parties and 3rd Parties that I think would get handpicked before Shovel does.

Outside that topic, for fun is another of those "Ask their Parents what they think each Smash character is". Maybe it's redundant by now. But this one is especially funny.

yAC3ZTc.jpg

Villager = Baby Mario

Really, dad? -_____________-

contents of the update are out:

Business Suit
Fox Set (Starfox) - Gunner
Captain Falcon's Outfit - Brawler
Toad - Brawler
Viridi Set - Kid Icarus - Swordfighter
Hunter Set - Monster Hunter - Swordfighter
Rathalos Set - Monster Hunter - Swordfighter

PLUS:
Super Mario Maker stage
Pirate Ship stage - omgggggg
Duck Hunt has been added to the 3DS version for free as well

viridi, toad and both stages are certainly bought once i get an eshop card lol

Pirate Stage is back. All is well in the world...somewhat...

Where's Magicant for Wii U? If 3ds can get duck hunt, there are 0 excuses to not shitting out Magicant and Mute City Version 2 on Wii U.

oh yeah the pirate ship stage is wii u exclusive for some reason. not related, but
the mii advertising the Toad costume is fucking terrifying

Gamefreak75 said:
Where's Magicant for Wii U?
coming Wave 5
i wish :'(

edit: both stages share music from other stages. on the plus side, this means any stage can probably return/be ported over because the "no shared music" rule no longer applies

...but Mario Maker has 27 songs and not one of them is the Mario Paint medley D: D: D:

So...Mario Maker comes with 27 songs, but 95% of it is reused from other Mario stages and none of the new songs are the NSMBW/U Bowser Castle theme and Pirate Ship doesn't even come back with the Molgera theme, let alone not having any new songs.

This is definitely the most half-assed dlc that we've gotten by far, and that's including two N64 stages. I would've been more impressed with a turd, because I'd at lest already know to expect disappointment. A shame too and it's quite insulting, imo.

It's a little underwhelming, but I think it's just to hold people over until the ballot is done.

On the plus side, this means that even if a stage's music is used, it can still come back. There's still hope for Fountain of Dreams.

The Mario Maker stage is perfect for a party-esque time with Smash. You never know if the stage is going to be jank as heck or if it will would actually create a viable stage for a good match (At least before it's possible the Hand puts in something that might mess even that up lol)

Glitchy said:
My mom thought Ness was Baby Mario and Olimar was Baby Luigi

Those two happen to be characters I use very frequently

I'm scared.

By the way, is teh Mario Maker stage 8 player smash compatible.

SmashWiki says the max is eight. Although I just want confirmation so we'll have another stage to abuse the crap out of.

Back