Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS Discussion

Which of the characters do you main?

  • Mario

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Luigi

    Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Peach

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Bowser

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Yoshi

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Rosalina

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Bowser Jr./Koopalings

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Wario

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Mr. Game and Watch

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Donkey Kong

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Diddy Kong

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Link

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Zelda

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Shiek

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Ganondorf

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Toon Link

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Samus

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Zero Suit Samus

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Pit

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Palutena

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Marth

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Ike

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Robin

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Kirby

    Votes: 9 23.7%
  • King Dedede

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Meta Knight

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Little Mac

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Fox

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Falco

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Pikachu

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Charizard

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Lucario

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Jigglypuff

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Greninja

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Duck Hunt

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • ROB

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Ness

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Captain Falcon

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Villager

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Pikmin & Olimar(/Alph)

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Wii Fit Trainer

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Dr. Mario

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Dark Pit

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Lucina

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Shulk

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Pac-Man

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Mega Man

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Sonic

    Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Mii Brawler

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Mii Swordsman

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Mii Gunner

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Mewtwo

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Lucas

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Ryu

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Roy

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Cloud Strife

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Corrin

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Bayonetta

    Votes: 3 7.9%

  • Total voters
    38

Dr. Mario

Mushroom Kingdom's OG Woo Meister
Well, I like a more concise name for Meele, but yeah, that joke always makes me smirk, I don't know why. I don't like Melee zealots either, who trash Smash 4 probably before it came out, and to a lesser extent, Project M. Or anything that isn't exactly Melee.
 

SonicMario

Star Spirit
Yeah I've heard some Melee fans are so crazy that they nitpick Project M too. Like saying they make the Advanced Techniques like Wavedashing and such easier to do so therefore Project M Pros are noobs to them. :S

Even when you try to appeal to those kind of people you get shat on for doing so
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
I imagine them not being able to enjoy literally anything unless it's Melee.

"Our soup of the day is chicken noodle"
"Is there wavedashing in the soup?"
"Excuse m-"
"Can the crackers l-cancel?"
 
ernesth100 said:
Okay guys we get it. Melee was the best smash game. Smash4 was a let down.

(Yet 80% of you bought it and play it daily.)
Honestly I still find Melee to be the worse in the series. There was just too much wrong with it. Smash 4 is definitely amazing, though only the Wii U; 3DS felt like a demo to hold us over for almost 2 months.
 

ernesth100

The Traveler, The Genius, The Scholar
Magikrazy said:
I imagine them not being able to enjoy literally anything unless it's Melee.

"Our soup of the day is chicken noodle"
"Is there wavedashing in the soup?"
"Excuse m-"
"Can the crackers l-cancel?"
This made me lol hard.

Wally said:
ernesth100 said:
Okay guys we get it. Melee was the best smash game. Smash4 was a let down.

(Yet 80% of you bought it and play it daily.)
Honestly I still find Melee to be the worse in the series. There was just too much wrong with it. Smash 4 is definitely amazing, though only the Wii U; 3DS felt like a demo to hold us over for almost 2 months.
I like Smash Series in general. All the games. I mean lets be honest it's the only series you'll be able to have Mario fight Megaman, PacMan and Sonic at once.
 

Dr. Baby Luigi

Mushroom Kingdom's Most Adorable Doctor
It's hard to choose between Project M and Melee because Project M has so much content packed in one little free mod (special mode includes All-Star, which lets you play as several characters standing in as stock, similar to the last match in Smash Tour; Stamina Mode has so much more options; it's open to music modding too).
I never EVER count Project M as its own separate entity. It's just a compilation of files in an organized fashion that takes advantage of an exploit in a game (via booting stage builder) or using homebrew or whatever and that you can alter the files' content to your own liking within a few clicks of select programs (like changing the DK icon series to a Harry Potter logo, changing flavor text, and crap like that).

I don't hate Project M. In fact, the Stamina, All-Star Special Brawl is enough to propel it as a favorite mod of mine. It's just that, well, Project M in my opinion should not be its own entity. Say what you want about other mods becoming games on their own (Dota comes to mind), Project M can easily be changed into whatever you like with BrawlBox and stuff and because of its unintended versatility it provides makes it into whatever stuff you like.

ernesth100 said:
Okay guys we get it. Melee was the best smash game. Smash4 was a let down.

(Yet 80% of you bought it and play it daily.)
what the hell, is it impossible to like a game AND find fault in its as well? i mean seriously.
 

Claude von Riegan

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Contra(dictory) said:
I can do 9 no problem...until Master Core.

Master Core is such a ridiculous spike in difficulty, no matter what intensity you're on. @_@
ugh ikr

though it's always Master Fortress that gets me. ridiculous core enemies w/ high flinch or high knockback attacks + danger zones everywhere = not fun

I've only managed to complete it with WFT

Wally said:
"After all we were planning on including so many characters, in the end this pace of announcing them was enough. Each and every character has fans, we wanted to drop as few as possible. About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don't have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage...even characters that we ended up including could have been left out if development had progressed differently. But even if one former character is left out, for the fans this is a huge thing. On our side, we are re-creating characters from the previous title, and keep on adding more, so the word 'reduce' is not appropriate. There are cases where we simply couldn't make it in the end, but on the whole we did a good job I think and the people at Bandai Namco Games did a great job. We had discussions on giving up on something many many times, Bowser Jr. was on the brink of being cut but the staff said 'We'll do our best!' and we made it." — Masahiro Sakurai

So Bowser Jr. was almost not in the game.
from the beginning of that interview
ND: When not you are not developing and there is a new title or character released, you are not thinking about "How about that one in the next Smash Bros?", right?

MS: Absolutely not! I'm always thinking that doing Smash Bros. again will be impossible. Impossible, impossible...is what I always think, but I ended up making it again (laughs). But once I decide to do it, I'm very fast about creating moves and such. For example Greninja, even before his name was decided I received several illustrations. I took them home in the evening and around midnight I had already done all his actions, normal moves, special moves and pose-pictures and sent them around asking "What do you think?".

ND: That's incredible speed! By the way, when deciding on which characters to use, are you looking into unreleased new games?

MS: At the very beginning I did that. This time our project-proposal is dated May 2012, at that time all characters were decided already. Then as production moves on we will say "We won't put that character in" and cut out low-priority-characters.

ND: That means in your project-proposal there are more characters than ended up in the game?

MS: Yes, but I won't tell which of course.
chorus kids [nobbc]:([/nobbc]

I still find it amazing how he planned most of Greninja's attacks in one night.
 

SonicMario

Star Spirit
Baby Luigi said:
It's hard to choose between Project M and Melee because Project M has so much content packed in one little free mod (special mode includes All-Star, which lets you play as several characters standing in as stock, similar to the last match in Smash Tour; Stamina Mode has so much more options; it's open to music modding too).
I never EVER count Project M as its own separate entity. It's just a compilation of files in an organized fashion that takes advantage of an exploit in a game (via booting stage builder) or using homebrew or whatever and that you can alter the files' content to your own liking within a few clicks of select programs (like changing the DK icon series to a Harry Potter logo, changing flavor text, and crap like that).

I don't hate Project M. In fact, the Stamina, All-Star Special Brawl is enough to propel it as a favorite mod of mine. It's just that, well, Project M in my opinion should not be its own entity. Say what you want about other mods becoming games on their own (Dota comes to mind), Project M can easily be changed into whatever you like with BrawlBox and stuff and because of its unintended versatility it provides makes it into whatever stuff you like.
Yeah I don't consider it seperate myself for a few reasons. Like in order to play Project M you need to still have a Brawl disc (The only exception really is if you use Dolphin to get an iso for Project M but that doesn't make it any more of a seperate game then the majority of Super Mario World hacks), and the character models and sounds of the game until you edit them yourselves are the same as Brawl's. I consider Project M more of a fanmade expansion pack that also allows you to change files and add different music.

Which is fun and all, as I haven't actually played Normal Brawl ever since I got Project M but the Melee-esque gameplay isn't the reason for that. Project M allows me to do stuff like have Classic Sonic be an alt, Give Sonic his Adventure series voice, make Wario's KO sounds into his "BWAAAH" and "D'oh I missed!" from the old Mario Party games, add an additional 32 stages, add music I love over Music in Brawl I didn't care for, etc. Why would I go back to regular Brawl with all that in mind?

Though in reality, I got Project M mainly to hold me over until Smash 4 arrived. The only times I'll be playing Project M soon is if my brother wants to play it or there's a new mod I really want to try for a liitle bit. (Ex: The Ridley and Waluigi PSAs that will work with Project M whenever they release) As while I can't mod Smash 4, I'm still enjoying the heck out of the game.
 

Cirdec

Celestial Guide
Finally, I beat 9.0 intensity with no life lost.
But there are still some ridiculous challenges to go, like doing All Stars on hard with every character...
 

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User
Cirdec said:
But there are still some ridiculous challenges to go, like doing All Stars on hard with every character...
that is a challenge

dear god no

im at 40/140 challenges have mercy with me
 

Claude von Riegan

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Glaceon said:
Cirdec said:
like doing All Stars on hard with every character...
I love how I've actually been doing that on the 3DS version.

It's not that hard, IMO.
On the 3DS version, easy.

However the AI on the Wii U version feels so much harder to defeat. I've barely cleared it on hard with one character.
 

Icemario

Star Spirit
Magikrazy said:
Quickest way to get gold? I spent it all on trophies.
I'm quite fond of 9.0 for this.

+2000 every fifteen minutes, but there's probably faster methods.

GBAToad said:
Glaceon said:
Cirdec said:
like doing All Stars on hard with every character...
I love how I've actually been doing that on the 3DS version.

It's not that hard, IMO.
On the 3DS version, easy.

However the AI on the Wii U version feels so much harder to defeat. I've barely cleared it on hard with one character.
I still need to face this AI, I can't notice the difference from videos.
 

NSY

Celestial Guide
Tiz Arrior said:
Magikrazy said:
Quickest way to get gold? I spent it all on trophies.
I'm quite fond of 9.0 for this.

+2000 every fifteen minutes, but there's probably faster methods.
you can lose a lot doing it as well and it can be very frustrating to get through. I would recommend doing this if your confident but if find it tricky then 8.0 may be a better idea.
 

MnSG

Cosmic Beauty
It costs 2200G to play intensity 9.0. If you get a game over too early on that intensity, you'll have a harder time getting back the gold that you've spent.

Of course, you're almost guaranteed to leave with more gold than you've spent if you manage to reach Master Core, but lose to it.
 

Dr. Mario

Mushroom Kingdom's OG Woo Meister
Tiz Arrior said:
Cirdec said:
like doing All Stars on hard with every character...
I love how I've actually been doing that on the 3DS version.

It's not that hard, IMO.
The 3DS All-Star on Hard is really pathetic, even my n00by friend who hardly uses aerial attacks and spams smash attacks has no problem on it.

Wii U is slightly different; the AI feel a tad more aggressive, but they aren't quite like level 9's.

How about play 17-minute matches with 2.0 ratio and/or 8-player Smash and stuff and... oh, that's how I do it. :p
 

ernesth100

The Traveler, The Genius, The Scholar
So I just did something fun. First of all I wrote my own story based on Super Smash Bros WiiU, ya know to make up for lack of an actual story mode.. I'd post it here but I wrote it on paper so I had to type it up and it took forever. I call it.

Smash Bros: Ganons Revenge

Basically I made a Mii of myself. In the story I get teleported into the Smash Bros World. I encounter wild Pokemon on the first level[Stage: Kalos Pokemon League].

Lucario: Level 5
Charizard: Level 5
Pikachu: Level 5

After defeating them he earns their help and goes on to defeat Ganondorf who has captured Pikachu[Stage: Temple].

Ganondorf: Level 8

(Note I am now fighting alongside Lucario & Charizard)

From there Ganondorf survives and sends his evil minions after us. MetaKnight and Dark Pit[Stage: Palutena's Temple].
(I switch to 8 player smash for this.)

RED TEAM
-Me
-Lucario: Level 3
-Pikachu: Level 3
-Charizard: Level 3
(Didn't want it to be too easy)

Blue Team
-Dark Pit: Level 9
-Meta Knight: Level 9

After provailing I go to face Ganondorf without my team who are ro injured from battle.
Me vs Ganondorf on Level 9[Took me FOREVER]

I'm thinking about making a sequel to the story. Centered around Bowser this time.
 

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
Contra(dictory) said:
Baby Luigi said:
my smash stories make ganondorf the main character of the game and the characters we use the bad guys
My counter argument to those who says Ganon needs a new moveset.

But seriously, that Warlock Punch riding on the boomerang and that 360 punch were amazing.
 

ernesth100

The Traveler, The Genius, The Scholar
Baby Luigi said:
my smash stories make ganondorf the main character of the game and the characters we use the bad guys
That'd be nice. Just develop it more make specific stages and you could have yourself an entire story to play through. Maybe even video tape it and put it up on youtube.
 
Top