Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Re: E3 2013 Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion

Baby Luigi said:
I don't think they'll cut Lucas either. He was about to replace Ness in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I don't want either of them to go.
Yeah, I think Earthbound needed a 2nd representative, so I don't want Lucas to go either. =P
And if someone pulls the "Oh Ness/Lucas are (semi-)clones" card, THEY ARE NOT. I'm not trying to make this sound condescending or sound like a fanboy, but if you consider them clones, you need a closer look. It really annoys me when people say this.

These are the only moves they share: All specials except for Neutral B (which is PK Flash/Freeze), Up air, Forward Smash and Final Smash. Those are the only moves they share, and even then, they all have NOTICEABLE differences.

Lucas is like a more ranged character with more power, but more lag since Lucas actually uses his PSI. He's not necessarily a slow heavy-hitter though. He also has more recovery options, as he can do techniques called Zap Jumping and Magnet Pulling which help him recover vertically and horizontally respectively, and he also has his Rope Snake for a tether.
Lucas is much more meant to be grounded since his aerials aren't that great, and his ground game is better.

Ness is shorter ranged and has a bit less KO power, but he can do better at comboing and his attacks aren't as laggy (particularly his grab lol). He has less recovery options though; he only has his Double Jump and his PK Thunder to launch himself. His recovery is worse than Lucas since he's launched a shorter distance and someone can be a meatshield to his PK Thunder or get canceled out. Ness is much more meant for the air since he has a fantastic ranged Forward air and has GREAT aerials. His ground game is rather sub-par, but workable.

In the end, they have a few similarities, but NOT ENOUGH to be considered clones or even semi-clones.

I can even argue the same with comparing Wolf to the other Starfox characters. :p
Sadly, I can't argue that for Captain Falcon/Ganondorf or Link/Toon Link.

I don't think Earthbound needed a 2nd character, really.

There are like what, three Earthbound games? Pikmin has three games and I doubt they'll get another character, so Lucas doesn't NEED to be there. If he is there, whatever, but I don't see there to be much reason for him there.

lucas probably showed up for the fact that mother 3 got some extreme praise and was highly anticipated.

Wouldn't surprise me if he returned, wouldn't bother me either since having a rep for mother 3 is always cool(personally id prefer kumatora but you know how that goes).

New Super Mario said:
I don't think Earthbound needed a 2nd character, really.

There are like what, three Earthbound games? Pikmin has three games and I doubt they'll get another character, so Lucas doesn't NEED to be there. If he is there, whatever, but I don't see there to be much reason for him there.

let's see, there's the president, louie, alph, etc

earthbound/mother: jeff, paula, ness, poo, kumatora, lucas, flint, duster, claus, etc

Baby Luigi said:
Here's hoping that Ness doesn't get cut...

on the official smash website, here's all the character copyrights and stuff

www.smashbros.com said:
© 2013 Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.​
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / CAPCOM CO., LTD.

creatures inc. developed both mother 1 and earthbound

so expect ness to be back

plus, with the upcoming virtual console re-release, why in the world would nintendo remove him

Refering back a page, am I the only one that was glad that they cut Mewtwo?

I'm sorry, but I just felt that Mewtwo was lame. There wasn't really anything going for it, it has a rather bad design imo (seemed too much Dragon Ball-ish), and didn't really seem to fit the Smash Bros. universe.

I'm hoping that they just give us a new Pokemon to enjoy rather than trying to bring back all these characters that were cut and not get to see past Generation IV with the series. I mean, there have to be some great new Generation V and Generation VI pokemon they can introduce into SSB4 instead.

I don't care much about Mewtwo either. I wasn't pushing for its removal or anything, but when it did get cut I didn't really miss it, and I don't care what happens to it in SSB4.

Baby Luigi said:
They shouldn't have removed Mewtwo from the first place

Exactly.

Don't effin' touch Lucas. He's my main D: Ness sucks as a fighter; Lucas is way better.

cryoAwakening said:
Refering back a page, am I the only one that was glad that they cut Mewtwo?

I'm sorry, but I just felt that Mewtwo was lame. There wasn't really anything going for it, it has a rather bad design imo (seemed too much Dragon Ball-ish), and didn't really seem to fit the Smash Bros. universe.

I'm hoping that they just give us a new Pokemon to enjoy rather than trying to bring back all these characters that were cut and not get to see past Generation IV with the series. I mean, there have to be some great new Generation V and Generation VI pokemon they can introduce into SSB4 instead.

Meanwhile, Gen III doesn't get any reps.

I remember being disappointed that my favorite generation had no representation when it comes to playable characters.

I fear Diddy Kong might get cut although I he doesn't.

R.O.B. and Mr. game Watch are two that need to go.

If Pac-Man makes this, I will throw a fit.(rather have someone from Tales of, like Lloyd or Yuri)

Also...Dixie Kong? I am so against this because I sense clone of Diddy. But hopefully not.

As much as I'd love to see Lyn... Chrom looks more viable...

*starts to create a tantrum*

I hate being pessimistic, and this may sound harsh and out of place since we have seen so little about this game, but I seriously have the feeling this is going to be the worst Smash Bros. ever. There's just too much criticism surrounding it already. There is already controversy about the characters and the features. I'm likely to be wrong since Sakurai is an excellent game designer, but I don't know... I just don't have a good feeling about this. This comment may be somewhat stupid for some here, but it's what I think.

Anser said:
I hate being pessimistic, and this may sound harsh and out of place since we have seen so little about this game, but I seriously have the feeling this is going to be the worst Smash Bros. ever. There's just too much criticism surrounding it already. There is already controversy about the characters and the features. I'm likely to be wrong since Sakurai is an excellent game designer, but I don't know... I just don't have a good feeling about this. This comment may be somewhat stupid for some here, but it's what I think.

Why are people criticizing about it when we know nearly nothing about this game in the first place?

Baby Luigi said:
Anser said:

Why are people criticizing about it when we know nearly nothing about this game in the first place?

Hence why I said "this may sound harsh and out of place since we have seen so little about this game".

Well there always will be complainers no matter what. It's no wonder that Sakurai is very stressed about this

people are being critical about it because last time they hyped the shit out of smash bros they did to such an extent that 90% of the fanbase was disappointed in brawl.

Brawl wasnt even that bad, but the fans were so damn hyped they expected TOOOOO much of it, and im sure same fans don't want that to happen again.

Rule number 1 of fighting games: dont hype them, always be disappointed.

same shit happen with kof12, sf4, and god knows how many others.

Yeah it's best to avoid being too hyped up so that you're not let down. Don't get your hopes up too high otherwise you'll be disappointed. Look what happened with Sticker Star and Mario Party 9, for examples. People had such high expectations, and in the end, it was a pile of trash. ;__;

Also, don't let others' opinions of a game THAT WE BARELY KNOW A THING ABOUT affect yours. Sakurai can't please everyone. Also, I think if he tries to go out of his way to please everyone, it'll just make things worse. Don't be so critical and demanding. =P

I think it's silly, at least we already know tripping and other ridiculous stuff like that are gone and the game is quicker than Brawl, so it won't be worse than that one for sure.

yeah im not sure how this game could be worse at this point, i mean they'd have to make every stage moving with little free movement as possible.

Baby Luigi said:
Well there always will be complainers no matter what. It's no wonder that Sakurai is very stressed about this

Yeah, but the complaints tend to appear when the game has been released, not two weeks after its mere announcement.

I don't know, I'm not very sure about what I'm saying. It's just that I feel so much negativity surrounding the game already... Beginning with Sakurai. He admitted he's "stressed to death" about the whole character situation. People are already mad there's not going to be any DLC content and that there will be no cross-console interaction. It's like what Timmy said, it's impossible to please everybody, but I think it's safe to say that there are much more people skeptical about the game than people who are actually excited about it because of the things that have already been announced.

Zae said:
people are being critical about it because last time they hyped the shit out of smash bros they did to such an extent that 90% of the fanbase was disappointed in brawl.

Brawl wasnt even that bad, but the fans were so damn hyped they expected TOOOOO much of it, and im sure same fans don't want that to happen again.

Rule number 1 of fighting games: dont hype them, always be disappointed.

same shit happen with kof12, sf4, and god knows how many others.

Brawl definitely was hyped, though it didn't deter my love for the game.

Timmy said:
Yeah it's best to avoid being too hyped up so that you're not let down. Don't get your hopes up too high otherwise you'll be disappointed. Look what happened with Sticker Star and Mario Party 9, for examples. People had such high expectations, and in the end, it was a pile of trash. ;__;

Also, don't let others' opinions of a game THAT WE BARELY KNOW A THING ABOUT affect yours. Sakurai can't please everyone. Also, I think if he tries to go out of his way to please everyone, it'll just make things worse. Don't be so critical and demanding. =P

MP9 had a lot of hype? I'm sure that it was more of a 'after seeing the car, all the fans hated it and then playing it, they were more like "meh, it's so-so" and was just like "it's not the best Mario Party, but not the worse."'. Sticker Star definitely was hyped a lot though, but yeah, it really let down a lot of Paper Mario lovers as it completely broke all the things in the previous installments of the game.

I am going to keep a positive mindset and just hope that this will be an awesome game, in both terms of Smash Bros., Wii U, and Nintendo. I'm sure that Sakurai would not disappoint us, and with all the hard work that he's doing and all his research that he does just so that he can please as many people as he can, I'm sure that he's going to make one heck of a game.

I'm looking forward to this game, and I can't wait to see what will be in the game. I know that whether or not I agree/disaggree with some of his decisions, I'll stay optimistic about his decisions, because I know that he's just doing his best.

Anser said:
Baby Luigi said:

Yeah, but the complaints tend to appear when the game has been released, not two weeks after its mere announcement.

I don't know, I'm not very sure about what I'm saying. It's just that I feel so much negativity surrounding the game already... Beginning with Sakurai. He admitted he's "stressed to death" about the whole character situation. People are already mad there's not going to be any DLC content and that there will be no cross-console interaction. It's like what Timmy said, it's impossible to please everybody, but I think it's safe to say that there are much more people skeptical about the game than people who are actually excited about it because of the things that have already been announced.

I've barely seen any negativity to SSB4. We can't possibly see everybodies opinion and compare them because they're everywhere so it's possible you're only seeing people that are being skeptical and missing all the optimistic people (Or the vocal minority, people are more likely to post their opinion on a game if they have complaints because there's actually something to talk about). Just wait a little longer until we see more information then base your opinion on what you've seen rather then what others are saying.

I think anybody would be 'stressed to death' if you were in charge of a game that has to live up to the potential of its predecessors. I think I heard something similar about Psy and how he was incredibly stressed because it was near impossible to live up to Gangnam Style's popularity. Same thing really.

Also, I don't see why people want DLC so badly. Don't they want a complete game before asking for DLC? DLC should always be an afterthought for the developers. But I can see why a number of people will be disappointed in no cross-platform play. I guess the upside of different stages for each game means it's worth it to buy both more so than it would be if they were exactly the same (besides graphics).

Crackin355 said:
Anser said:
Baby Luigi said:

I've barely seen any negativity to SSB4. We can't possibly see everybodies opinion and compare them because they're everywhere so it's possible you're only seeing people that are being skeptical and missing all the optimistic people (Or the vocal minority, people are more likely to post their opinion on a game if they have complaints because there's actually something to talk about). Just wait a little longer until we see more information then base your opinion on what you've seen rather then what others are saying.

I think anybody would be 'stressed to death' if you were in charge of a game that has to live up to the potential of its predecessors. I think I heard something similar about Psy and how he was incredibly stressed because it was near impossible to live up to Gangnam Style's popularity. Same thing really.

Also, I don't see why people want DLC so badly. Don't they want a complete game before asking for DLC? DLC should always be an afterthought for the developers. But I can see why a number of people will be disappointed in no cross-platform play. I guess the upside of different stages for each game means it's worth it to buy both more so than it would be if they were exactly the same (besides graphics).

You may be right. As I said, I'm not very sure of what's going to happen, but that's just the way I feel. Especially after reading this. So, the Wii U version is going to be limited because of the 3DS version? Come on, if Smash Bros was supposed to be a console seller then they shouldn't have made the 3DS version in the first place. Wii U sales won't go up that way, at least not as much as they need. They should have made a super-powerful game exclusively for the Wii U.

I don't even know what to think. I just feel so disappointed with everything Nintendo is doing lately. I may need to give them a chance, though (and I will).

It probably isn't coming out until next year sometime so they have enough time to figure out a way past the limitations of the 3DS. The only thing they're having trouble with in that link is dong justice for brawl stages, which isn't a big deal if they choose some simpler stages from Brawl (Pictochat, Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow). I think it's pretty obvious that they have to consider a lot when making decisions for such a system seller.

Back