Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
I think Nintendo tried to rectify the lack of Gen 3 in the roster by having the majority of the Pokeball Pokemon in Brawl from Generation 3. The problem is you can't have a rep for every Gen now. You have Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon and Jigglypuff (Mewtwo is kinda half G1 and half G6 because of the Mega form) for Gen 1, and Lucario for Gen 4. Having a rep for Gen 2 (Albeit we technically did with Pichu in Melee), 3, and 5 is a whole nother 3 reps. 5 (Technically 7 for Pokemon Trainer) spots is good enough.

they might do a 3rd gen remake...

thats the thing, they might.

Gen 3 has such bad reception though and was only liked in recent years to be frank with you.

Although i liked emerald, i dont feel a 3rd gen remake is gonna happen any time soon.

Baby Luigi said:
Randy Cunningham said:
Ganondorf said:
Cut Pokemon Trainer and put in Mewtwo.

With the Kanto starters being in X and Y, I doubt Pokémon Trainer's going anywhere. At the very least Charizard will return.

Because, Pokemon Trainer has a very unique playstyle (nevermind how competitively viable it is). I don't want him to go anywhere
Yes. A playstyle with a stupid stamina mechanic and forcing you to constantly switch Pokemon.

Either just bring Charizard back, or axe the trainer completely. Or better yet, replace him with Mewtwo. He too has a unique moveset. And before anyone says it, he is completely different from Lucario.

Sylveon said:
Mienfoo said:
Sylveon said:
*lucario rant*
*'3k post*
I know a certain someone who I am with who would be quite enraged if charizard was cut.

so since they have gained some space from not doing another subspace I would love to ever see pokemon trainer have the skin of that corresponding generation with the starter pokemon of each gen.

I mean it's effing possible.

so yeah 2nd gen: Totodile, Bayleef, Typhlosion

3rd: Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken

4th: piplup, grotle and infernape

5th: oshawott, servine and Emboar

6th: Froakie, Quilladin, Delphox

Northern Verve said:
I think Nintendo tried to rectify the lack of Gen 3 in the roster by having the majority of the Pokeball Pokemon in Brawl from Generation 3. The problem is you can't have a rep for every Gen now. You have Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon and Jigglypuff (Mewtwo is kinda half G1 and half G6 because of the Mega form) for Gen 1, and Lucario for Gen 4. Having a rep for Gen 2 (Albeit we technically did with Pichu in Melee), 3, and 5 is a whole nother 3 reps. 5 (Technically 7 for Pokemon Trainer) spots is good enough.

Eh, they could go another route when it comes to Pokemon :P

Fighter Zae said:
they might do a 3rd gen remake...

thats the thing, they might.

Gen 3 has such bad reception though and was only liked in recent years to be frank with you.

Although i liked emerald, i dont feel a 3rd gen remake is gonna happen any time soon.

I'm ok, that doesn't stop me from liking gen 3 the most out of all gens

Ganondorf said:
Baby Luigi said:
Randy Cunningham said:
Ganondorf said:

With the Kanto starters being in X and Y, I doubt Pokémon Trainer's going anywhere. At the very least Charizard will return.

Because, Pokemon Trainer has a very unique playstyle (nevermind how competitively viable it is). I don't want him to go anywhere
Yes. A playstyle with a stupid stamina mechanic and forcing you to constantly switch Pokemon.

Either just bring Charizard back, or axe the trainer completely. Or better yet, replace him with Mewtwo. He too has a unique moveset. And before anyone says it, he is completely different from Lucario.

A casual scrub like me doesn't care about that. Pokemon Trainer is very fun to play as and he's much more unique than Mewtwo thanks to his playstyle

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Gen 3 is the only game not to have playable representatives so far, so when it comes to representing games, I'd like to have Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon changed. I'm not dying for it, though. I just think it makes sense.

Gen 5 doesn't have any reps either. Understandable since Brawl was out before Black and White.

I wouldn't be so concerned about no Gen 6 reps since the game wasn't even conceived (I think) when Brawl was out.

I'm expecting a Gen 6 rep though.

Yeah, that's why I said, "So far". We will probably get some elements from Gen 5, no doubt. I still feel that there is a gap by leaving out Gen 3.

I don't know why people want to keep that flying chunk of reptilian fat as playable. I mean, I don't mind if it returns, but have Charizard return, but not care for the other two?

Even casual players I've talked to hate the fact that you can't just pick on pokemon and stay with them. Why should the game force you to change to a completely different character halfway through the match. At least with Zelda and Sheik, you could pick one and stay with them.

BOLDED FOR FUCKIN' ATTENTION

Sylveon said:
Sylveon said:
I know a certain someone who I am with who would be quite enraged if charizard was cut.

so since they have gained some space from not doing another subspace I would love to ever see pokemon trainer have the skin of that corresponding generation with the starter pokemon of each gen.

Sylveon said:
BOLDED FOR FUCKIN' ATTENTION

Sylveon said:
Sylveon said:

Skins don't work that way. That would require making new models and movesets for all those Pokemon.

Ganondorf said:
Even casual players I've talked to hate the fact that you can't just pick on pokemon and stay with them. Why should the game force you to change to a completely different character halfway through the match. At least with Zelda and Sheik, you could pick one and stay with them.

That's still not a good reason for Pokemon Trainer to be cut: there's room for improvement, and the mods showcase that it's entirely possible to just stay with one Pokemon. A bad mechanic doesn't mean the character should get cut, it means it should be improved. Similar to how the Ice Climber tag team duo has been improved in Brawl.

dude, fireevee, calm down. We probably overlooked your post.

Ganondorf said:

That's a major design flaw. While I understand that they're trying to stay close to Pokemon, this doesn't work. It's like making Mario die in two hits if he doesn't up-taunt or something. Pokemon Trainer has a high learning curve with little payoff, hence why Pokemon Trainer is one of the worst characters in the game. And I'm a casual player as well.

Luckily, there are codes that allow you to stick with one Pokemon.

Sylveon, I'm all for the 3rd gen one. They don't have to stick with 1st stage water, 2nd stage grass, and 3rd stage fire, but in Gen 3's case, they're all the best choices fitting my personal tastes. :P

Am I the only one who loves the variety of characters instead of sticking to one when playing as Pokemon Trainer?

Baby Luigi said:
Am I the only one who loves the variety of characters instead of sticking to one when playing as Pokemon Trainer?
Sounds good on paper, but what if you just want to stick with one?

Maybe if you removed the stamina feature, then it could work. You wouldn't be pressured to switch unless you wanted to.

Yes, I think removing the stamina feature is a great idea. Let me do whatever I want with the characters, game.

Well, it doesn't need to render two characters at once unlike the Ice Climbers so I think it could handle it.

Ganondorf said:
This may seem like a stupid question, but how well could the 3DS version handle the Pokemon Trainer?

*Blue screen of death* ERROR 404: FILE MISSINGNO.gif WAS NOT FOUND

Ganondorf said:
This may seem like a stupid question, but how well could the 3DS version handle the Pokemon Trainer?
If it can handle Zelda/Sheik, it can handle the trainer.

I don't think that Pokemon Trainer should be cut, but I will agree that the stamina mechanic needs to go.

Fatigue hurts Pokemon Trainer - there's no doubt about it. Once your pokemon is fatigued, its moves will do less damage, cause less hit stun, and most importantly, give less knockback. The game actually keeps track of a fatigue value for each of your pokemon throughout the duration of your match. This fatigue value ranges from 0 to 200, and starts at 0 for every pokemon at the beginning of your match. Each pokemon has their own fatigue value, and each value is unaffected by the values of the other pokemon.

Once your fatigue hits 120, your pokemon becomes visibly tired (the "tired" standing animation occurs). At this point, your knockback is at 80% of its full power. It remains at 80% until fatigue hits 130, at which point any more fatigue will cause your moves to slowly decline further. At 200 fatigue, your moves are doing 70% of their original knockback.

Fatigue increases every second a Pokemon is out and for every move a Pokemon makes (whether or not it connects).

Fatigue decreases by 1.67 (5/3) for every second that a pokemon is in its pokeball
Fatigue is multiplied by 0.3 when a pokemon is KO'd

To take an example, let's say you start Squirtle in a match - his fatigue value is then 0, as is Ivysaur's and Charizard's. You perform 40 attacks (that are not on the above list of exceptions) in the time of 80 seconds, which is a reasonable estimate. After that 80 seconds, your Squirtle's fatigue value is going to be at 120, so he will start showing that he's tired, and the power on his moves will drop to 80%. Let's say you keep him out anyways. Assuming the same rate of attacks, after just over 50 seconds your fatigue value should be at 200, and his power will now be only 70%.

A 30% knockback reduction is not fun. :/

I also agree that you shouldn't be FORCED to switch to the next Pokemon in line after dying. I was thinking that maybe if you want to switch, you hold the Shield button upon dying, but if not, you don't input the Shield button and you'll stay as the current Pokemon. =P

Well, there's a mod in our Brawl - that let's the computer either keep the Pokemon or switch it out right when the respawn platform appears.

Ganondorf said:
I'd rather see Jigglypuff go but since she was in the original 12, I doubt it's happening.

Back