'Shroom Spotlight

i don't see why the first image has a quality tag. I don't think it's that bad. Hell, a bunch of similar other warp pipe images has the same tag

Two people have basically purged the Dreamy Bowser trivia section before you can even announce it :P

(well admittedly, I purged it even further as soon as your section went up :|)

Well you've gone to the wrong topic. This topic isn't for if you want to write for the Shroom again, it's for Wiki matters that are brought up by the Shroom.

Go to the Sign Ups or contact a Core 'Shroom Staff, not here.

Baby Luigi said:
Two people have basically purged the Dreamy Bowser trivia section before you can even announce it :P

(well admittedly, I purged it even further as soon as your section went up :|)
That's usually the way with the trivia tag :P

About the rewrite-expand template on Skeleton Goonie: what's there to expand? The writing's a bit clunky, so I can understand the rewrite template, but is there a considerable about of information missing from the article? I'm not leading to another point, I'm genuinely asking.

Time Turner said:
About the rewrite-expand template on Skeleton Goonie: what's there to expand? The writing's a bit clunky, so I can understand the rewrite template, but is there a considerable about of information missing from the article? I'm not leading to another point, I'm genuinely asking.
Normally on articles about enemies which have appeared in multiple games, we seem to split off each game appearance into an individual section. Skeleton Goonie has not incorporate this general standard: we've simply rattled off all game appearances in the very first sentence of the article. There is very little information about individual game appearances.

I understand that between different games, there may not be huge differences in how the Skeleton Goonies function as an enemy. But a lot of information could still potentially be added: in what worlds and areas do they appear in different games? How to they attack Yoshi (in Yoshi's Island, Yoshi loses the baby. But in Yoshi's Woolly World, Yoshi loses health instead). Compare their appearance between games, too. Like do they move faster in one game, and slower in another. All this could go in different sections divided by game appearance. And maybe they appeared in Super Mario-Kun like most other things, I'm not sure. But it could be investigated.

Essentially what YK said, it is just a rattled off appearance list for the most part rather than an article.

A new edition has been released!

Please make sure to read up on our latest group of article focuses. If you think you might have something to contribute to these articles, regardless of how small, make them!

The Goal article seems sketchy to me. What exactly should it cover? Because we already have articles on the specific goals. Any goal that isn't covered?

I've at least tried addressing the problems with Fall. Nixed some bad wording, wrote about the cutscene (thanks YouTube video) and now I'm too tired (aka lazy) to search through possible palette swap changes on the World Maps. Would be sweet if someone had an emulator with a Super Mario World 100% save. Maybe I should ask Wildgoosespeeder idk

I was thinking of doing Snifberg actually so that's next on my list. I still want to do the images on Waluigi Pinball because that course deserves more love.

Btw the Shroom Spotlight is great, keep up the work. :thumbup:

Edit: Do we know Snifberg the Unfeeling's gender? Referring to it as "it" all the time is pretty annoying to write, same as writing "Snifberg the Unfeeling" all the time instead of just "Snifberg".

Ninelevendo said:
Edit: Do we know Snifberg the Unfeeling's gender? Referring to it as "it" all the time is pretty annoying to write, same as writing "Snifberg the Unfeeling" all the time instead of just "Snifberg".
If you don't know, use the singular "they". The pronoun "it" implies no pronoun at all, while "they" implies an undetermined/unknown/undefined gender.

Striker Mario said:
The Goal article seems sketchy to me. What exactly should it cover? Because we already have articles on the specific goals. Any goal that isn't covered?
The Goal article was previously a disambiguation page, although it seems to have been purely one user's call to make it an actual article. If constructed properly, I think it could be a very informative page. It should summarize every type of exit point or object which marks the end of a level throughout all games. Using the names of the different goals as headers, it could use a paragraph to describe how that object is used as a goal, with a short note of the series/games it is seen in. Each of these sections can link to the main article of that specific goal, where readers can read more detail on specifics according to game appearances.

Again, I strongly believe this would make a very informative page once complete. There are many different types of level/mission goals within our coverage: a disambiguation page with many entries, nor even a category could offer users the same navigation than an article with those entries summarized.

I think this will be our most challenging Spotlight goal for this month: I can't edit much today, but I could start us off on it tomorrow or the day after. Please post any thoughts and input on the page here, and perhaps we could work out the best way to structure such a page. Or if there's something I said about the page which you might not agree with, I want to know that too :)

Baby Luigi said:
I've at least tried addressing the problems with Fall. Nixed some bad wording, wrote about the cutscene (thanks YouTube video) and now I'm too tired (aka lazy) to search through possible palette swap changes on the World Maps. Would be sweet if someone had an emulator with a Super Mario World 100% save. Maybe I should ask Wildgoosespeeder idk
Great work BLOF, the wording on the article is much better now. I'd like to see the SMA2-exclusive changes being separated, as well as enemy comparison tables, and those images showing other areas shouldn't be too bard to track down.

Ninelevendo said:
I was thinking of doing Snifberg actually so that's next on my list. I still want to do the images on Waluigi Pinball because that course deserves more love.

Wow, well done on creating that article! Looks very complete and well written to me. Regarding gender, I do agree on what Time Turner said in the comment below yours: ""they" seems the most appropriate replacement to he/she when referring to something undetermined. But hopefully there's a source which actually does confirm the gender: does anyone have the player's guide?

We really appreciate your comments on the project :) But it is users such as yourself that truly deserve all the thanks!

Time Turner said:
Ninelevendo said:
If you don't know, use the singular "they". The pronoun "it" implies no pronoun at all, while "they" implies an undetermined/unknown/undefined gender.
Thanks, I've never used "they" as a singular (or at least I don't think so), I've edited the article however not sure if I've done it correctly, if someone could check that it would be appreciated.

YoshiKong said:
Ninelevendo said:

Wow, well done on creating that article! Looks very complete and well written to me. Regarding gender, I do agree on what Time Turner said in the comment below yours: ""they" seems the most appropriate replacement to he/she when referring to something undetermined. But hopefully there's a source which actually does confirm the gender: does anyone have the player's guide?

We really appreciate your comments on the project :) But it is users such as yourself that truly deserve all the thanks!
Thanks for the feedback, honestly it felt like a rushed job imo, I feel like things could be improved on, such as the repititive writing and certain statements seeming too obvious, for example "Snifberg the Unfeeling looks similar to their original from, an Ice Snifit." Could just be me but eh.

Thanks, although without the 'Shroom I wouldn't be motivated to make such edits, so you guys deserve the praise for any effort behind my work. ;)

Everybody hates their own writing :P It's certainly not bad enough to warrant any form of rewrite tag so feel good about that! But feel free to go back and rewrite if you want to.

I completely revamped the Goal article, so be sure to give that a look and add any other type of goals I missed. :)

Next, I will see what I can do on the Which-Way Labyrinth.

EDIT: Just did Which-Way Labyrinth. You're welcome. :D

Well done!

I am very impressed with how much involvement the Spotlight has received this month. We have already completed all of our main objectives. Congratulations everyone!

Alex95 and I have agreed on the structure of the Goal article and its gallery (Gallery:Goal). The goals are listed on the article by name and separated by game series. Each entry has a brief description of how it appears as a goal, with a mention of the game it appears or first appeared in. The gallery's screenshots are split into sections organised by the specific goal. For example, all screenshots showing a Goal Pole is placed in the "Goal Pole" section. Screenshots are ordered by game release date.

If only one screenshot of any type of goal is seen on the page, rather than getting its own section, it instead gets placed in "Other".

If anyone is able to contribute more screenshots to this gallery, or if you can think of more "Goal" entries for the article, please add them!

So right around this time, me and YK start floating ideas about Spotlight focuses at each other. A stub article found was Mr. Eraser. It was created with the stub template, which has never been removed. Neither of us are familiar with Super Mario Maker, so we were wondering if there was anyone who was who could say whether the article truly is missing information.

As far as I know there's not much more to the character besides what's on the page, I don't believe he has any significant quotes or deep lore behind him

I haven't played Mario Maker in a while though so if anyone else is more familiar with the tragic backstory of Mr. Eraser they should probably make a post about it lo

Back