Votes: 7 10.3%
  • It was okay

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Disappointing, expected it to be much better

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I hated it

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
I hate them too but I hate them the same way as I hate having these stupid LUA errors everywhere in Gmod

Baby Luigi said:
The Game Over is the ----ing biggest time waster in my life.
Mario Party X said:
Why the **** do we still have lives? This is 2010s, Nintendo.

so like what is even the point of replacing the swear word with "----" or "****" i mean everyone can still completely understand what its supposed to be in that blank and there's an automatic censor system which censors words like that anyway

Mario Party X said:
Why the **** do we still have lives? This is 2010s, Nintendo.

what does the decade we're in have to do with adding in a feature that doesn't really make a huge difference whether it's in or isn't?

Baby Luigi said:

yeah, it wastes ten seconds of your life what a crime

Pearl said:
so like what is even the point of replacing the swear word with "----" or "****" i mean everyone can still completely understand what its supposed to be in that blank and there's an automatic censor system which censors words like that anyway

You don't go around telling me what to type in my posts. This is my post, not yours, and I can type what I want in my posts. You're not the boss of me.

If you're going around like this, why can't I tell you to use your f---ing shift key and capitalize the first words of your sentences

Pearl said:

Oh yes, initially, it's only about ten seconds, but it freaking adds up. Maybe you should think before you post

Baby Luigi said:
Pearl said:

You don't go around telling me what to type in my posts. This is my post, not yours, and I can type what I want in my posts. You're not the boss of me.

If you're going around like this, why can't I tell you to use your f---ing shift key and capitalize the first words of your sentences

lol i'm not trying to boss you around or anything, sorry if it came across that way, i was just wondering why since i would have thought it would be quicker just to type the word since it wouldn't make much difference anyway
sorry if i offended you

Baby Luigi said:
Pearl said:

Oh yes, initially, it's only about ten seconds, but it freaking adds up. Maybe you should think before you post

i had already thought of that before i made the post and i still stand by my statement

Don't know why I feel this angry right now. I really don't know.

I can swear in my mind but I can never ever get myself to type the words. I just can't. So don't ask.

Baby Luigi said:
whoa there

calm down
Baby Luigi said:
is this war between the people who capitalize and the people who don't?

obviously, the "capitalist pigs" are oppressing the free-thinking "lowerclasses"

(get it? because capitalization = capitalism and lowercase = lower class?)

Pearl said:
what does the decade we're in have to do with adding in a feature that doesn't really make a huge difference whether it's in or isn't?

Well, in the '80s it makes sense to have lives in the ol' arcades. Lives should've been a thing of the past by now, since what, the '90s?

Pearl said:
Baby Luigi said:

Ten seconds? It should've been zero seconds. Honestly, why have lives in the first place? Lives aren't classic; they're outdated and they serve to slow the game down, which is a legit complaint for me. Still, nobody should go around using superlatives halfheartedly.

Mario Party X said:
Pearl said:
Baby Luigi said:

Ten seconds? It should've been zero seconds. Honestly, why have lives in the first place? Lives aren't classic; they're outdated and they serve to slow the game down, which is a legit complaint for me. Still, nobody should go around using superlatives halfheartedly.

sorry but i've had a bit of a poor grammatical education so umm, what's a superlative again?

Hawlucha said:
why have lives? isn't the alternative a "kirby's epic yarn" style of game where it's impossible to die?

well you could have games where you can die, but you don't have a life count

Hawlucha said:
Baby Luigi said:
is this war between the people who capitalize and the people who don't?

obviously, the "capitalist pigs" are oppressing the free-thinking "lowerclasses"

(get it? because capitalization = capitalism and lowercase = lower class?)

lol

A superlative is something like this: the worst thing ever, the best thing alive, the most awful music, etc.

No, the alternative is that when you die, you nearly instantly teleport to the last checkpoint, cutting away the music, animation, and other pains so you can retry almost immediately.

Oh, and you won't worry about getting a game over. Even if lives are pointless, the game tries really hard to make lives seem important by making these 1-ups shiny. Admit it, you're afraid to get game-overs, even if they're ultimately pointless.

Basically, you can die, but there's no life count.

Mario Party X said:
No, the alternative is that when you die, you nearly instantly teleport to the last checkpoint, cutting away the music, animation, and other pains so you can retry almost immediately.

Oh, and you won't worry about getting a game over. Even if lives are pointless, the game tries really hard to make lives seem important by making these 1-ups shiny. Admit it, you're afraid to get game-overs, even if they're ultimately pointless.

Basically, you can die, but there's no life count.
I thought the point of Game Overs was to make people feel bad and actually care about their deaths.

Because what's the fun if there's no risk of a Game Over?

The fun converts to making reckless maneuvers because being reckless and making leaps of faith knowing that there is no penalty is fun.

Mario Party X said:
A superlative is something like this: the worst thing ever, the best thing alive, the most awful music, etc.

oh i see, thanks

personally, i never have a problem with lives, i don't really care if they're there or if they're not there, it's all the same to me

also might be worth mentioning that i don't think i've actually had any game overs in mario games since, idk, the first time i played smg2? so i don't really remember how it feels to have that problem (although i haven't really played in multiplayer much during that time so that might make a difference, especially with the shared lives)

I'll tell you why they use lives still. Right now, it's another incentive to explore. After all, every secret that isn't a green star or a stamp is either a 1-up Mushroom or a lot of coins, which can give more lives. The game rewards you for taking time to look around and collect everything with more lives, which in turn makes the game easier.

And, let's be honest, if they take out lives, then they'll have to take out coins and 1-ups and then it will be a totally different game. You never have to grind for 1-ups ever in the game, so what's the problem?

Blof and lefty stop being so controversial and calm your tits pls and thanks xx

I do wish there was a punishment for getting a gameover (at least make them start the world over or something).

But I do like that you share lives so then nobody has to fight over the 1-Ups.

Dick Clark said:
Eric B said:
Since this is a 4 player game, then how does this work? If someone plays this fifth character then one of the others would be left over?

I also think Daisy never should have been a separate character. When that first came out, I wondered why they would use another princess. I guess it was originally supposed to be a separate universe or something, then they began crossing the characters over in the subsequent “ Nintendo Allstars” games.

Funny, when I first started seeing the name “Peach”, I thought it was yet another character, then I saw that it was a new name for Princess Toadstool. (I still wondered why the new name). So they probably should have just said Daisy was another name for Toadstool.
Dude, where the *bleep* have you been? She hasn't been called Princess Toadstool since Super Mario RPG.
I'm aware of that. "When I first started seeing the name 'Peach'" was sometime back in the 90's when all those Party and Kart games were coming out, and I would see the list of character names, and I only saw "Peach" for the Princess, and didn't know.
(After SNES, and SMW, the original SM Kart, and SM Allstars, I kind of got out of Nintendo gameplaying for a long time, and didn't get another system until the Wii and NSMBW)

Anyway, I got to play a couple of boards at Nintendoworld. Cool! (Now they have the demo so that you can only select a few levels, and the game doesn't continue when you clear it. I got there late, and got to play the first two, before it closed).
Timmy said:
IMG_0235_zpsa6d6a19b.png
This makes me wonder if this game is the final fruition of that Mario128 project, that was shown with multiple Marios running around. It was supposed to be the successor to Mario64, but we know the games that came out after it, while using some of the features, ultimately didn't use everything, including the multiple Marios.

Nabber said:
but if you have the white tanooki suit, the only way you can die is from bottomless pits, which you can easily avoid since you have the flutter jump or whatever

the point is, there's a reward system. if you have the skills to get past a level, you should be rewarded. if you suck, then you should die. little kids will not understand the consequences of sucking if they always win
What he doesn't tell you is that it's not a total unearned "bragging rights", because there's always stuff you can't do (earn, unlock, etc) if you've used the leaf. (Unless it's different in this game).

I think it's good for someone like me, who's limited in time, patience (and most importantly, the skill of dexterity), who likes running through the game (rather than playing for skill), but needs to get past certain really hard parts (that can take away from the enjoyment).

In many cases, it builds confidence, and allows me to practice the moves to get through that area, and then, once I've passed it, and perhaps beaten Bowser, at least, I can go back and focus on it, and get through without the leaf (right away, I think of World and Star Castles from NSMB2).

So there's something for everyone. If you're playing for skill, and total "bragging rights", then as he said, you can just pass the leaf by.

Mario Party X said:
Oh, and how you get 5 extra lives when you respawn, so I'm actually discouraged to grab that 1-up.

Nintendo, this lives system is a mess. Please remove ASAP or you'll never get past 8.5/10 from me.
what if everything in the game was perfect expect the lives system does that mean it only gets an 8.5/10

lol at the final battle, im still proud this game exists.

Seems like a bunch of fun.

Purple Yoshi said:
I'll tell you why they use lives still. Right now, it's another incentive to explore. After all, every secret that isn't a green star or a stamp is either a 1-up Mushroom or a lot of coins, which can give more lives. The game rewards you for taking time to look around and collect everything with more lives, which in turn makes the game easier.

And, let's be honest, if they take out lives, then they'll have to take out coins and 1-ups and then it will be a totally different game. You never have to grind for 1-ups ever in the game, so what's the problem?

Can they just make OTHER incentives to explore? You know, more stamps, increased functionality of coins, more green stars, hidden powerups. Lives is a poor incentive, and every time I find a neat area, it's just coins or lives, which makes is sorely disappointing.

More or less lives doesn't make the game easier or more difficult either. Good difficulty stems from level design, not from a brutal lack of checkpoints or scarce lives.

You guys can't be justifying the existence of outdated lives... are you?

New Super Mario said:
I do wish there was a punishment for getting a gameover (at least make them start the world over or something).

But I do like that you share lives so then nobody has to fight over the 1-Ups.

No, no punishments. This sort of stuff serves to increase frustration with the game, and making gamers frustrated over, what, nothing, is something you should avoid. World overs is a terrible idea and just prolongs the game. Sharing lives is a nice concept, but lives go down fairly quickly even if you have three at-least decent players. To accommodate for more players, there should be more opportunities to get lives, but no, Super Mario 3D World makes it hard to rebound after losing lives because more people can die at any given moment. Your lives lost can and WILL multiply if more people join, especially if Plessie dies with, like four people on board.

Pearl said:
also might be worth mentioning that i don't think i've actually had any game overs in mario games since, idk, the first time i played smg2? so i don't really remember how it feels to have that problem (although i haven't really played in multiplayer much during that time so that might make a difference, especially with the shared lives)

Super Mario 3D World is probably the first time my sister and I encountered a game over screen (our brother was with us, and he's a decent player; if you know about the Runaway Guys LPs on New Super Mario Bros., we're around the same skill as ProtonJon). Multiplayer DOES make a difference, as I mentioned above.

NSY said:
Mario Party X said:
Oh, and how you get 5 extra lives when you respawn, so I'm actually discouraged to grab that 1-up.

Nintendo, this lives system is a mess. Please remove ASAP or you'll never get past 8.5/10 from me.
what if everything in the game was perfect expect the lives system does that mean it only gets an 8.5/10

I was exaggerating, as I said in an earlier post.

But, c'mon, get rid of lives already. You'll spend less time programming 1-ups and game over screens and probably use this small, extra time and money for other more useful thing.

Daskarzine said:
Blof and lefty stop being so controversial and calm your tits pls and thanks xx

These adorable little birds are too cute to be calmed.
600px-ParusCaeruleus.jpg
479px-Lophophanes_cristatus_-Aviemore%2C_Scotland-8_%282%29.jpg
685px-Parus_palustris02.jpg

Of course it's outdated! But that doesn't mean they need to get rid of it. Unnecessary innovation can ruin a game (see: Sonic Lost World). You just need to think of the ramifications of what they'd have to change if they just removed lives.

They'd have to remove coins, because there would be no point to them if there weren't for getting lives. Strangely enough, Sonic Lost World also had this problem. 100 rings didn't give an extra life, so collecting rings was absolutely useless, considering you didn't even get ranked at the end of the level.

It also means the level design would change a lot. There would be a lot more leaps of faith and trial-and-error gameplay, because there is no consequence to you dying. Also, time limits would become unnecessary (although I didn't like that this game still had a timer), so they'd remove that, too.

And then you wouldn't have a Mario game anymore. The gameplay just wouldn't be a Mario game. It'd be, I dunno, Rayman Origins v3.

Back