Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Koopd Guy said:
Or maybe since it's a MK8 mod, I believe the modder put Dry Bones' textures on Koopa Troopa.

Or maybe not?

This is not a texture hack , this is a full model replacement.

PeDaRoYs said:
How about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Deluxe Clones? (instead of the 3 returning racers you liked and the Inklings, you get more clones)
I am disappointed that there's no Silver Luigi or Verdigris Daisy (green copper, like the Statue of Liberty). Or Vanish Luigi.

I want Green Molybdenum Baby Luigi please.

Is it possible to put any model over a character? So a character someone likes can be put overs character that someone dislikes.

I'd rather not put a character I like over one I dislike, because then the disliked character could appear as my favorite character if I ever play without the mod.

Then there should've been an option to actually choose which character is your favorite, something I should've posted in the MK9 thread.

Tiff said:
Is it possible to put any model over a character? So a character someone likes can be put overs character that someone dislikes.
The answer is yes, judging by Trash Daisy.

Tiff said:

My answer is going to be complicated.

The simple answer is, yes, it's entirely possible to put any model over any character if the model import program exists and works for it. The bare minimum you need to do is rig the model to at least one bone, and you'll be set. That's pretty much it.

However, if you want your model to look good and presentable, your character should have around the same physique as the character you're trying to replace for proper animations, unless animation modding is possible that subtracts all of your bone placements so that you can have a character also with his old bone set. Otherwise, you'll end up with static characters who float around the world and therefore not being good. Or you'll end up with distorted characters, like the infamous Manchu / Pikadorf.

Here's an example of what I mean. The left picture presents Baby Luigi using the Ice Climber's boneset placement, while the right picture depicts Baby Luigi with his normal bone placement, which I replaced the Ice Climber bone values with with his.

1200px-ShroomIceClimbers6.png

The hands are the most distorted, as they're the hand physique that differs the most from Baby Luigi's hands. It's also very distorted around the arm, where Baby Luigi has normally shorter arms than the Ice Climbers. See, even if your skeleton has the same bone placements as the original, you have to edit animations, as they'll default to the default bone placement, as that's how animation works.

So, unless simple, easy animation modding is possible where you don't have to edit every single frame of animation manually to get the result, your bones have to be in the closest spot as possible. In Mario Kart 8's case, Waluigi and Link have the closest boneset to regular humans like Captain Falcon, so they're the best choice. Chibi characters like Toad have the best bonesets for characters like Olimar, Ness, Lucas, etc.

I have been meaning to try this one day.

What a time to be alive. the "Luigi wins by doing nothing" franchise has expanded into Mario Kart

I'll never really understand the win by doing nothing ordeal, since typically, doing nothing will cause you to always lose. Of course, if you do nothing while everyone else disconnects, that does technically equal a win.

Thing is, no-one would think of doing nothing, so they end up killing each other and then Luigi is the only one left, but there is a catch into it, nobody should be after you.

I'm not particularly impressed, 50cc computers are awful.

Baby Luigi said:
I'm not particularly impressed, 50cc computers are awful.
100cc and 150cc could be done, but they require a lot of extra waiting for :luigi: to win a race.
200cc is a guaranteed loss when you do nothing.

The video doesn't count, because Luigi is still driving and turning, and he has to be doing ABSOLUTELY nothing.

I thought these videos meant that the player technically does nothing, which is what Smart Steering exactly is.

It does. the "Luigi Does Nothing" across all the games has no input from the player. anything built into the games are fair game.

Back