Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Fire Emblem Character said:
Also, I triple starred all cups on 200cc. What do I win?

the cpus are a joke aren't they?

Stargazing said:
Female Villager + City Tripper + Roller + Paper Glider

It is a learning experience, but it's important to keep note that the CPU racers can still be on the cruel side at times.

So far, I have gotten 3 stars in both Mirror Cups and AC Cup in 150cc. I am yet to get 3 stars in Bell Cup in 150cc as not enough time to win (it was midnight at that time). Since I wanted to win with Dry Bowser and Bone Rattler, it was a bit of a challenge. My impressions with all tracks:

Baby Park - Quite a simple course, and sometimes I lost track of the lap count mainly because the music changes are different from other tracks. I do like how you can slam on other people and get a speed boost. It does feel more rewarding to overtake other people in this course compared to most courses, I must say.

Cheese Land - I didn't expect this course to be a very hard track. It goes to show that simple layouts can be made tougher when the terrain is tricky. Sometimes those cheese potholes messed with my direction, which is my main problem with it. There are even a few times when the CPU even used the glider shortcut near the end, which was infuriating when I thought I would win! Speaking of shortcuts, this is problem a course where the shortcuts are the least obvious of them all.

Wild Woods - Surprisingly, it's a course that isn't too difficult. I guess it's because of the amount of straight paths here. Due to this, I like how relaxing it is to race here, except for that one time where a blue shell caused me to fail to get First.

Animal Crossing - I didn't expect to have trouble with this track, mainly because of catching up with a CPU in the first place. I guess it's because of my lack of experience with the way this track works, but still, some of the turns in this course are very tricky to navigate.

Neo Bowser City - If there is a retro game with courses I have the most trouble with, it's the tracks from Mario Kart 7. I don't know if that game has easy tracks, but I certainly have trouble with not only this one, but Music Park, Piranha Plant Slide, and to an extent, DK Jungle.

Ribbon Road - This colourful course is a fun to navigate, and it's also relatively easy to do so. A top-rated course from me.

Super Bell Subway - When looking at the map of this course, I am surprised at its layout. I think when people say this is akin to Ice Ice Outpost from DLC Pack 1, they are not kidding. Lots of dual pathways, though I never travel through those alternate paths before. Sometimes I made a wrong turn at the garden portion of this track, which slowed me down.

Big Blue - I was surprised by how fast this course is, even though I played Mute City earlier. A really fun course when I tried it in Mirror, but I haven't tried it in 150cc because I got 2nd on Super Bell Subway earlier.

Also, 200cc was really an experience! I only got 3-stars in Mushroom Cup so far, as it required a few tries because Sweet Sweet Canyon and sometimes Water Park was more difficult with the turns. My current configuration for this mode is Mario with a Sneeker (forgot the other parts).

Thanks for reading.

Getting the hang of 300 200cc? Try doing it with a Wii Remote + Nunchuk.

lol 300cc is that thing in Mario Kart Wii where you can't go through Mario Kart Wii's Rainbow Road without falling off. Literally.

I dunno, I keep calling it that because we've been playing 300cc in both DS and Double Dash, so I now subconsciously coin unnaturally fast speeds as this.

Baby Luigi said:
lol 300cc is that thing in Mario Kart Wii where you can't go through Mario Kart Wii's Rainbow Road without falling off. Literally.

the memories of using the 200 km/h hack

dk summit was so much fun

I like all of them. They're all amazing tracks, from Baby Park to Big Blue.

Dry Bowser looks awesome and Villager is kinda cool too. Haven't tried Isabelle yet.

200cc is intense, to say the absolute least.

I tried Mushroom Cup and got 1-2-7-1.

150cc Crossing Cup has given me absolute hell, so I tried a new combo and wrecked the shit out of it.

Today I tried using my 150cc combo (Dry Bowser/P-Wing/Retro Off-Road/Cloud Glider) on 200cc and did absolutely horribly. I'll stick with my Villager combo.

I'm really bad at Animal Crossing D:
I time trialed Baby Park, 1:11.282 with an 8.99x second lap (lap 4)
it was a one shroomer

I think DLC Pack 2 is better than Pack 1

Villager and Isabelle are far better characters than Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach while there are literally no dud courses (unlike Pack 1 which has SNES Rainbow Road, Yoshi Circuit, and Ice Ice Outpost), with maybe the closest one being Baby Park.

gotta say i love all of the designs for the city tripper

:pgp:'s one is perfect

Meh, I don't really like the puke-green color scheme for Baby Luigi

Final thought on courses:

Baby Park: The only time I raced on this before was MKDS but u seemed to enjoy much more here. Maybe this suits this game physics more or that there's more racers. Also this track is insane in 200cc.

Cheese Land: Big step up from Super Circuit. Proves they can make GBA courses not feel outdated in game. It took long enough.

Wild Woods: Having a non jungle forest track in Mario Kart is something I waited for. The sky guy treetop village it what makes this course stand.

Animal Crossing: Although I don't know much on AC I'll say it's looks a very good representation of a series turned into Mario Kart track. The element around having 4 different keeps it fresh and also stops this course from bore feat online since everyone picks it when it comes up.

Neo Bowser City: Wasn't a big of this track in MK7 mostly because it lacked in detail. Now that the detail is there I like this course a lot more even much really hasn't changed.

Ribbon Road: Like what I said about Cheese Land it's changed a lot. However not too big on the theming here and this course is a hell in 200cc.

Super Bell Subway: I like the idea and it's enjoyable to race but I felt they could of done a lot more. The lack of anti gravity is disappointing as well. I would put Sunshine Airport above this.

Big Blue: I wanted a sectioned course in this pack and I got a sectioned course. Very enjoyable and still keeps that F-Zero theme very well. I do put Mute City over this but I don't there's much between them.

Overall I think DLC pack 2 was very good, I liked all the tracks to some extent. I would put this with equal terms with DLC pack 1 because even though SNES Rainbow Road and Ice Ice Outpost were in that, so were Hyrule Circuit and the perviously mentioned
Mute City.

As for 200cc, I like the idea and the concept of it. I do think it's very intense as well. It works very well on some tracks including Baby Park, both F-Zero courses and Mario Kart Stadium. But the real problem is that it's too fast and it makes the races too short as well. It's said you need to brake in 200c but you almost have no time to do so. Some tracks (even some in this DLC pack) aren't designed to withstand 200cc. Good luck navigating the trees in Mount Wario, good luck staying on Ribbon Road, good luck on some of the more narrow courses. Breaking just slows down the action in Mario Kart. I will play 200cc online from time to time and also beat it on Grand Prix but 150cc feels like the class that suits the game the most and I'll mostly stick to that.

Fire Emblem Character said:
Baby Luigi said:

the memories of using the 200 km/h hack

dk summit was so much fun
Try coupling that with the Free Fly hack. :P

200cc is hard to love, but I think it's going to be the only way I play Mario Kart.

My DLC wishlist from another thread

Pack 1:
Cups: Shine Cup and Bob-omb Cup
Characters: Birdo, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr.
Vehicles: Warpstar, Gold Mantis, Mach Rider cycle, Birdo themed kart
New Tracks: Tropical Freeze themed track, Great Cave Offensive, Port Town Aero Drive, Bowser Jr's Playroom
Retro Tracks: Wario Coliseum, Choco Mountain, Waluigi Pinball, Shy Guy Bazaar

Pack 2:
Cups: Boo Cup and Spiny Shell Cup
Characters: King Boo, Dry Bones, Petey Piranha
Vehicles: Piranha Prowler, Poltergust 5000, Bowser's car from SM3DW, Excitebike
New Tracks: Woolly World track, Haunted Towers, Corneria, Pikmin themed track
Retro Tracks: Ghost Valley 3, Wario Shipyard, Toad Factory, Mushroom City

Ordering both packs comes with four new battle mode tracks, all in traditional battle mode style.

Hell, let's throw in some amiibo costumes. Pikachu, Ness, Jigglypuff, Zelda, Ganondorf, Falco, Marth, Inkling, Diddy Kong

Here's some new dlc I made.

Pack 1- Kirby x MK8

Characters: Kirby, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong

Vehicles: Warp Star, Koopa Clown, Barrel Train, Shooting Star

Warp Star Cup-

Green Greens- A race track around Green Greens, with Whispy Woods being at the end of the track.

SNES Ghost Valley 3- Completely revamped from SNES in terms of track design, now having anti-gravity sections and has an outdoor section.

GBA Sunset Wilds- More or less identical to its Super Circuit counterpart, aside from updated graphics.

Halberd- A tough track on Meta Knight's airship, the Halberd. Features many powerful hazards, and attacks from Meta Knight and his crew. The "highlight" track of the DLC.

Bowser Shell Cup-

Podoboo Path- A fiery race course in a lava-filled volcano with many podoboos. (I thought Mario Kart needed more fire tracks other than Bowsers Castle and Grumble Volcano)

DS Airship Fortress- More or less identical to its DS and 7 counterparts, aside from updated graphics.

Bowser Jr.'s Playroom- A race track set in Bowser Jr.'s playroom. Has hazards such as paint that makes you slip out.

GCN DK Mountain- More or less identical to its DD and Wii counterparts aside from updated graphics.

Back