Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Blue Bowser said:
Oh no your favorite car has been nerfed whatever will you do. Clearly this game has become unplayable because of this nerf which has made your car completely unusable. Why they might has well have burned the Mario kart franchise to the ground with how unplayable this is. I mean to even think of changing the stats in the vehicle you use I mean what were they thinking.

The thing is, based on my online racing experience in Mario Kart 8, the Biddybuggy wasn't exactly a heavily abused vehicle body, and while it did have good water speed and air speed statistics, the former had limited uses.

Blue Bowser said:
Oh no your favorite car has been nerfed whatever will you do. Clearly this game has become unplayable because of this nerf which has made your car completely unusable. Why they might has well have burned the Mario kart franchise to the ground with how unplayable this is. I mean to even think of changing the stats in the vehicle you use I mean what were they thinking.

Gee thanks for the unnecessary condescension.

I'm not even complaining that it's nerfed. I'm complaining how it's a speed part that doesn't have speed stats. It bothers me. Not to the point of your exaggeration, but I can voice my opinions without people like you exaggerating and strawmanning how I feel about the game.

http://www.clickhole.com/video/mario-kart-8-deluxe-sobering-commentary-perils-ame-5971

oh i know something i can be Angry(tm) about

the 4 DLC cups didnt receive cool trophies like the others and are still generic copypastes with the logos switched which is disappointing

the game has dropped from a 9/10 to a 2/10 in my book, court is adjourned

i wonder why the new characters have the same animations for Bikes and Karts , the trick ones.

It's a minor complain but i cannot stop seeing it.

How to make a game unbalanced
Lesson 1: Making one combination slightly better then another

(Note: Both combinations use the Gold Glider.)
King Boo, Koopa Clown, Wooden (The better combo):
  • Speed: 4
  • Speed (Underwater): 4
  • Speed (Glider): 4.25
  • Speed (Anti-Gravity): 4.5
  • Acceleration: 2.25
  • Weight: 4.25
  • Handling: 3.75
  • Handling (Underwater): 3.75
  • Handling (Glider): 3.5
  • Handling (Anti-Gravity): 3
  • Grip: 3.5
  • Mini-Turbo: 2.75
Dry Bones, Splat Buggy, Slick (The worse combo):
  • Speed: 3.25
  • Speed (Underwater): 1.5
  • Speed (Glider): 2.25
  • Speed (Anti-Gravity): 3.5
  • Acceleration: 3.25
  • Weight: 2
  • Handling: 4
  • Handling (Underwater): 4.25
  • Handling (Glider): 3.5
  • Handling (Anti-Gravity): 4.5
  • Grip: 2.5
  • Mini-Turbo: 2.75
The handling and acceleration are slightly better with Dry Bones. The hidden stats are a similar gap, but the Speed (Underwater) has the biggest gap between Dry Bones and King Boo, with a gap of 2.5!

Didn't see that either.

This might become a running thing, where you tell me something I didn't notice before.

It's ok.
That aside, I now realise how unbalanced this thing is. But that won't stop me from buying the game.

To be fair, Mario Kart 8 has its share of combination stat imbalances as well.

However, the biggest sense of irony is that the fastest combo (such as Bowser + Circuit Special + Slick + Super Glider) has a much lower stat total than the slowest combo (such as Baby Mario + Mr. Scooty + Roller + Parachute), and yet the former gets abused a lot more for having much higher speed statistics.

TBH, I don't really see the effect in stat totals and drifting off road, the latter mainly because when you drift off road, you have a bit of time where you can go back on road and still keep your drift and sparks. This is abused in the 3DS Koopa City record in MK8.

Luigi 64DD said:
So I have a Wii U, Mario Kart 8 (with all the DLC), and a Switch. Is MK8D worth getting?

It's your decision, but unless you're a Battle Mode fan, I wouldn't exactly bother with buying Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

MnSG said:
Luigi 64DD said:
So I have a Wii U, Mario Kart 8 (with all the DLC), and a Switch. Is MK8D worth getting?

It's your decision, but unless you're a Battle Mode fan, I wouldn't exactly bother with buying Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Generally I don't care about battle mode that much, but I had a lot of fun with the MK64 and MKDD battle modes.

Luigi 64DD said:

GameXplain (which had played the original for many hours) does recommend it. But I am getting the Switch version when I get the Switch since I don't have a Wii U.

Luigi 64DD said:
Will you enjoy playing Mario Kart on the go?
Does battle mode matter to you?
if the answer is yes pick up Deluxe

Luigi 64DD said:
Generally I don't care about battle mode that much, but I had a lot of fun with the MK64 and MKDD battle modes.

Then you're probably better off with the original Mario Kart 8 right now.

Luigi 64DD said:

Do you like battle mode? Pick it up.

Do you like the idea of playing on the go? Pick it up.

Those were mentioned already, but consider this.

Do you want a worthwhile online experience?

If yes, get the Switch. I can already tell that the MK8 community is going to shine a lot more brightly on the Switch. A lot of people (such as myself) are making the full transition from Wii-U to Switch.

Don't get me wrong, the Wii-U online will still live, just not at the volume of the Switch's online. Not to mention that Wii-U's online will most definitely be discontinued before the Switch's is.

As long as the Nintendo Network service is still running, Wii U's online services won't be ending any time soon. The 3DS is still alive after all.

4td0 said:
Not to mention that Wii-U's online will most definitely be discontinued before the Switch's is.
I wouldn't wish this to Nintendo, though: paid online services might die quickly once the activity starts falling (why paying for not being able to play anyway?), and without any active free online service, the online games might just prematurely die.

Still playing mk8, because I don't have a swtich lol
Discovered that you can still get hit with a shell with 3 bananas circling your kart...

Back