Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Lakituthequick said:
My favourite kart combo still works as I expect it to so I don't mind anything yet.

Lucky for you then, since my own main combo from Mario Kart 8 (Rosalina + Biddybuggy + Azure Roller + Parachute) had its speed and weight stats nerfed, while the handling and traction stats got buffed; acceleration did not change.

But the worst part of the story is that if I switched from Rosalina to Metal Mario, Metal Mario would end up getting better speed and weight, the same amount of acceleration, and a smaller body frame, while the only drawback is a traction decrease, which isn't all that drastic. Sure, I'm fine with Metal Mario being present, but if you have to resort to Metal Mario or Pink Gold Peach to have any chance of winning in MK8D, then you definitely know that Nintendo messed up big time with the stat balancing.

I don't even own a Nintendo Switch right now, and I'm already seeing that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's only real saving grace is its better Battle Mode.

Eren Jäger said:
i played online one match vs. 80% metal marios so im assuming they're still op.
You joined me in a few online matches and I don't remember there being too many Metal Marios in them, if any at all. Though this was mostly a certain streamer's community so idk

MnSG said:
If people are giving Mario Kart 8 Deluxe good reviews right off the bat, they should really compare the pros and cons between MK8 and MK8D. A better Battle Mode and five extra characters in MK8D doesn't change the fact that the stat balancing is atrocious, and the game reuses the exact same 48 tracks that are in MK8, so you're literally not getting anything new in regards to the Grand Prix mode.
Or maybe they don't really care about any of this. It's Mario Kart, a dumb party game. It's not made for balance. For most people, it's the same game plus more content. Literally no downside.

GalacticPetey said:
Or maybe they don't really care about any of this. It's Mario Kart, a dumb party game. It's not made for balance. For most people, it's the same game plus more content. Literally no downside.

Still, if you're a Wii U owner, I don't see any real reason to be ditching MK8 for MK8D, unless you're a Battle Mode fan.

I played battle mode with a friend today, helped him purchase this game. Several thoughts I'd like to discuss.

*I want to shove a Piranha Plant up Daisy's ass in Renegade Roundup. Goddamit it.
*The sliding around mechanic in battle mode? I hate it. I slip and slide all over the place like a drunk driver, and I can't fully stop the car, when this mechanic is required for optimal performance in battle mode. It may have worked in Mario Kart 8's system with its long and snaking tracks, but not here, where you frequently need to make stops and turns.
*It's fun targeting Wario, and it's fun to see the words "BABY LUIGI CAUGHT WARIO" in Renegade Roundup. Wish I had time to play with it more, I suck at the mode, not having won as a renegade once.
*Playing with the joycon is awful, and the worst part is, since my friend didn't bring the dock thing over, we had to play on a really tiny screen and it sucks. The map is really hard to see, and the maps can be annoying to navigate, especially if going after that fat man.

I mean I sound like I complain a lot, but really, I just don't like playing with the joycon controller on a tiny screen. I LOVE the battle modes otherwise, and I really want to get accustomed to these sloppy controls, that's how much I love them.

So I decided to calculate the stats of one of the combos I use, which is this one. I'm not counting hidden stats.

MK8_DKong_Icon.png
+
SportsCoupeMK8.png
+
SpongeTiresMK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8
Speed: 4.5/6
Acceleration: 2.25/6
Weight: 4.25/6
Handling: 2.5/6
Traction: 3/6

MK8D
Speed: 4.25/6
Acceleration: 3/6
Weight: 4/6
Handling: 2.5/6
Traction: 3.5/6

The stats didn't change as much as I thought they would.

Just a minor thing I noticed but on the minimap when a Bob-omb or a Spiny Shell explodes, a small orange or blue dot appears on the map. I like that.

Anyone here that has both? What are your thoughts on double dipping, is it worth it?

GalacticPetey said:
smash is a party game too

Still making the balance better makes the online better which would've been nice, but it looks about the same really :/

Smash has more intricacies and potential for a competitive fighting game. Nothing in any of the Mario Kart games reaches the technical depths of Melee or even Smash 4.

I don't think I really noticed this in MK8 but 200cc cups are actually a good challenge. A ridiculously fast challenge where usual mk logic is out the window and the only priority is not crashing. There were heaps of close calls and bullshots getting first occasionally and the CPUs are relentless. Its really a shame the only reward in the game is piss-yellow metal mario, but I'll bet he looks much better in the full gold car.

As unlikely as it is, I'd really love for them to develop DLC course packs again. The courses in MK8 are perfect but replaying them feels ehhhhhhhh, though I can imagine someone who didnt play MK8 having their mind blown with this games content.

Now comes the fun of grinding coins for parts again yay

Lakituthequick said:
I have noticed at least one difference in MK8D's item distribution now.

I happen to be first a lot and still get Bob-ombs fairly often.

Can't remember seeing that in MK8.

I remember getting Bob-Orbs while in 2nd place in the Wii U game, but I don't remember if Item frequency was either normal or frantic.

Spinosaurus said:
Dark Meta Knight said:
I wouldn't really call spamming the R button technique

walkvswaveedit_4653.png

R and L do the same thing.

There are times where you don't wavedash. That's what separates this mechanic apart from firehopping, where there is NO downside to not using it. Firehopping is basically snaking's less wretched cousin.

Speaking of 200cc, I think CPUs are hilariously inept on it. Try racing on 200cc SNES Rainbow Road, you'll know what I mean. Unless Deluxe fixed the AI problems from 8.

Okay time for me to complain: WHY does the Sports Coupe have zero ground speed? That car is clearly a sports car, it's designed to look fast, yet they got rid of its speed bonus. Why?? It should have shared its stats with the P Wing instead.

Baby Luigi said:
Okay time for me to complain: WHY does the Sports Coupe have zero ground speed? That car is clearly a sports car, it's designed to look fast, yet they got rid of its speed bonus. Why?? It should have shared its stats with the P Wing instead.

You could probably ask that same question to the Mach 8. In fact, their in-game stats in MK8D are "exactly" the same as the MK8 in-game stats for the Tanooki Kart and Bone Rattler; the hidden stats are different, however.

On another subject, MK8D is really out of its mind for heavily nerfing ALL of the Biddybuggy's (and Mr. Scooty's) speed statistics. And yes, I did read the hidden stats that were inputted.

Oh no your favorite car has been nerfed whatever will you do. Clearly this game has become unplayable because of this nerf which has made your car completely unusable. Why they might has well have burned the Mario kart franchise to the ground with how unplayable this is. I mean to even think of changing the stats in the vehicle you use I mean what were they thinking.

Back