Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

man local wireless mk8 is gonna be great once i know people irl who have switches

i dont see an option for download play though (even on the switch itself) which is a big miss since MKDS download play was always hype

Mister Wu said:
As far as I know, The Red Monster started being used and replaced everything else when it was discovered that with them it was possible to drift in offroad sections.

Ironically, the Mushroom tires didn't have a negative impact on underwater performance, and they do handle certain tracks a lot better than the Red Monster tires; DS Airship Fortress is one notable example.

Anyway, the inability to drift on normal off-road in Mario Kart 8 pretty much made the Monster and Hot Monster look pointless to even be using. We'll have to see if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe can fix that up, but right now, there really aren't a lot of videos that showcase combination stats; there must be some sort of embargo in place.

I actually tested what happens when off-road sections increase speed in MK8, basically it is impossible to drift even when speed allows it (signaled by smoke no longer coming out of the exhaust pipes) due to special coding, it's not a matter of the speed which is pretty much always less than the 55% of max speed needed to start drifting on offroad sections.
On the other hand, when speed in offroad sections is higher than 55% of max speed, autodrifting becomes possible and SMTs can still be charged in offroad sections this way.

Yeah I could never really understand why Mario Kart 8 altered the off-road mechanics, but perhaps it may have had something to do with the off-road shortcut abuse in past Mario Kart installments.

I'm okay with the removal of firehopping. It seemed like a silly technique.

Also, don't go to MKBoards (a competitive Mario Kart site). They will go after you if you're okay with this technique being nerfed.

I guess the fire-hop removal was done to make players try to get those ultra mini-turbos more often.

Dark Meta Knight said:
So apparently fire hopping is gone. Can't say I miss it.

I will dance over its grave.

I'm more concerned about how the Biddybuggy and Azure Roller tires may be affected.

Also, while the fire-hop may be gone, we don't even know if acceleration tiers got the boot as well.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
I hope the Badwagon gets a ground speed boost in MK8D.

I want it too. Badwagon should always had the speed boost anyway.

C98h_QFV0AAGkEx.jpg

C98iDb0V0AAUM7s.jpg

C98iH4xUIAElCg3.jpg

Target is getting a Mario Kart makeover with the release of the game!

I just know someone is going try to steal those carts ... or worse, the giant Mario and Luigi orbs.

With that free popcorn and cup thing they did recently here, Nintendo sure does like this store despite it being the #1 source of hard to find amiibo rage.

I've been to three Target locations near my area, sadly there was no Mario promotion whatsoever.

I'm starting to think that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's stat distribution is less balanced than that of Mario Kart 8. In Mario Kart 8, excluding the mini-turbo, everyone had the exact same stat total. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's stat balancing is just very pitiful, based on what I'm seeing on this page.

Baby Luigi said:
Pink_Gold_Peach said:
I hope the Badwagon gets a ground speed boost in MK8D.

I want it too. Badwagon should always had the speed boost anyway.
Well, you'll be happy to know that on ground the Badwagon is the fastest vehicle of the game, along with the Circuit Special, the B-Dasher, the P-Wing, the GLA and... the Standard ATV!

That sucks that the Steel Diver and the Tri-Speeder got the shaft....but hearing the Badwagon receiving a speed boost makes me really happy.

MnSG said:
I'm starting to think that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's stat distribution is less balanced than that of Mario Kart 8. In Mario Kart 8, excluding the mini-turbo, everyone had the exact same stat total. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's stat balancing is just very pitiful, based on what I'm seeing on this page.

Well this is disappointing. All they've really done is make racers base stats higher in acceleration and handling while making kart parts subtract more acceleration and handling. Overall this just leads to the same combos (Blue Falcon + Slick is still the best for heavyweights, who are still better than everything else) and results in hardly any difference, if anything this makes the balance worse. Dry Bowser and Wario with Blue Falcon + Slick + Plane Glider are going to be abused online, just watch.

More minor but I like how Metal and Badwagon got a buff and can essentially be a better Circuit Special + Slick depending on acceleration. I also like what they've done to the gliders. That's about all that's better though. Next Mario Kart needs to be more like Mario Kart 7 in the balance department.

Also why the heck is Bowser Jr. lighter than Toad

Dark Meta Knight said:
Well this is disappointing. All they've really done is make racers base stats higher in acceleration and handling while making kart parts subtract more acceleration and handling. Overall this just leads to the same combos (Blue Falcon + Slick is still the best for heavyweights, who are still better than everything else) and results in hardly any difference, if anything this makes the balance worse. Dry Bowser and Wario with Blue Falcon + Slick + Plane Glider are going to be abused online, just watch.

Even I could've do better with the stat balancing, as I've made some various roster concepts that ensure that everyone gets treated equally with their stat totals (excluding the mini-turbo stat).

Dark Meta Knight said:
More minor but I like how Metal and Badwagon got a buff and can essentially be a better Circuit Special + Slick depending on acceleration. I also like what they've done to the gliders. That's about all that's better though. Next Mario Kart needs to be more like Mario Kart 7 in the balance department.

I'm not too sure how the Badwagon's new stats will help it out. After all, no vehicle could ever drift on normal off-road terrain in Mario Kart 8, so unless the traction and/or off-road mechanics have been changed, I'm a bit skeptical about how the new stats will work out in the long run.

But what really caught my eye is how some of the gliders can actually weaken the ground speed stat now. In fact, the changes have made one heck of an impact on my primary combination from Mario Kart 8.

Rosalina + Biddybuggy + Azure Roller + Parachute (MK8 vs. MK8D)
Speed: 3.00 vs. 2.50
Acceleration: 4.75 vs. 4.75
Weight: 3.00 vs. 2.50
Handling: 3.50 vs. 4.00
Traction: 3.00 vs. 3.75

Slower and lighter, while having better handling and traction. Acceleration doesn't change, however.

Dark Meta Knight said:
Also why the heck is Bowser Jr. lighter than Toad
You think that's fishy, Lemmy's traction is lower than that of some of the heavier characters. Mario Kart 8's trend was lowering the traction stat as you go up in weight classes.

Anyway, even though Mario Kart 8 lacked stat diversity, it's apparently a lot better with the character stat balancing than what Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is doing.

Back