ATTN: Those who think SMG is overrated.

Baby Luigi said:
Nabber, it's much easier to grab coins in Super Mario 64 required for 100 of them than 100 purple coins in Super Mario Galaxy. In Super Mario 64, all types of coins count towards getting the star but in Super Mario Galaxy, you have to collect specifically purple coins, which is often a menial task to do. Especially if you happen to die.
I happened to like the purple coins better. For one thing, coins in SM64 were often very limited anyway. Also, purple coins were often arranged in groups or in trails, making them easy to collect.

Nabber said:
Baby Luigi said:
Nabber, it's much easier to grab coins in Super Mario 64 required for 100 of them than 100 purple coins in Super Mario Galaxy. In Super Mario 64, all types of coins count towards getting the star but in Super Mario Galaxy, you have to collect specifically purple coins, which is often a menial task to do. Especially if you happen to die.
I happened to like the purple coins better. For one thing, coins in SM64 were often very limited anyway. Also, purple coins were often arranged in groups or in trails, making them easy to collect.

Then people complain how Mario games are too easy.

Nabber said:
Baby Luigi said:

Purple coins don't come in different colors though, (eg blue coins) so they are therefore more difficult to collect. In Super Mario Galaxy, I found it extremely painful to collect purple coins in Sea Slide Galaxy and Beach Bowl.

But maybe, that's just what I think. I'm not wearing any sort of nostalgia goggles anyway.

Boidoh said:
I like collecting 100 coins in SM64/DS, Sunshine because It makes you explore more around than just travel in a path and what-not.

Not all of them are like that, actually. Some purple coin levels do force you to explore, but unlike Super Mario 64, I found them tedious.

Why is exploration so important anyways?
You guys are treating Super Mario Galaxy like its a sequel for Super Mario 64.

What this thread is about
RAWR I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THIS GAME TELL ME NOW RAWR
RAWR *REASONS*
RAWR I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THOSE REASONS RAWR

Pandapowah said:

It's actually supposed to be the successor of Super Mario Sunshine, but I'll get to the point.

You see, we already have the 2D games for linear game play. They can be very fun to play with since they tend to be sprites on a 2D plane, something that really can't achieve much exploration, especially with that time limit. Playing with 3D models allows environments to be much more explorable. Exploration is not as restricted as linearity. We can get to the goal using many paths and areas with full exploration. I guess the freedom of it is the reason people love exploration so much. Granted, it can get tiresome to try to get to places and it can be annoying in collect missions, but the problem is, Super Mario Galaxy does not have enough of it and the levels that force you to explore (purple coins) are a tedious way to encourage exploration.

Ive played a couple galaxies at my friends house and watched alot of videos of Galaxy 1 and I hated (Similar to galaxy 2) How alot of the levels take place on random planets and you never really return to them alot and there are little missions.

Baby Luigi said:
Pandapowah said:

It's actually supposed to be the successor of Super Mario Sunshine, but I'll get to the point.

You see, we already have the 2D games for linear game play. They can be very fun to play with since they tend to be sprites on a 2D plane, something that really can't achieve much exploration, especially with that time limit. Playing with 3D models allows environments to be much more explorable. Exploration is not as restricted as linearity. We can get to the goal using many paths and areas with full exploration. I guess the freedom of it is the reason people love exploration so much. Granted, it can get tiresome to try to get to places and it can be annoying in collect missions, but the problem is, Super Mario Galaxy does not have enough of it and the levels that force you to explore (purple coins) are a tedious way to encourage exploration.
Well I could agree to that.
But still, I thought the levels were pretty fun even though it was linear. They have a lot more challenges and obstacles.

Baby Luigi said:
Pandapowah said:

Yes I've been saying that ever since I got the game. :P
Linear levels should be kept for the 2D games, not for the 3D ones.

Actually, a problem to me with SM64 is the fact it's so open-ended, I really can't figure out what to do for some missions

Boidoh said:
Ive played a couple galaxies at my friends house and watched alot of videos of Galaxy 1 and I hated (Similar to galaxy 2) How alot of the levels take place on random planets and you never really return to them alot and there are little missions.
That's only really a problem in Galaxy 2. You return to most of the planets in SMG1.

Nabber said:
Boidoh said:
That's only really a problem in Galaxy 2. You return to most of the planets in SMG1.

I played about 2 domes on a new save file yesterday when I went to my friends house to play and i still feel that you dont return too often and that the areas are not big enough.

Majin Buu said:
Actually, a problem to me with SM64 is the fact it's so open-ended, I really can't figure out what to do for some missions

That's one of a downsides of a large, explorable world. Another issue is getting from one place to another; if you prefer convenience, you probably won't like open worlds.

It's a sickly boring game, not only do I not like linear 3d games, but each world is effortlessly completed(besides maybe the rolling ball and manta racing worlds). Bosses are also massive jokes too.

I like open world games and I love to explore. You can't really do this in smg, because there isn't really much to see at all. Heck, even devil may cry games have more exploration and to me, that's bad.

SM64 and SMS filled my needs for exploration, huge hub world and a variety of other worlds to see all kinds and other things to discover. Like I said, smg didn't really do this at all.

Whether its a bad game or not, is up to you, but I really REALLY don't like it.

Baby Luigi said:
That's one of a downsides of a large, explorable world. Another issue is getting from one place to another; if you prefer convenience, you probably won't like open worlds.
Good sandbox games give you an efficient indication of what your objective is and just enough information to give you an idea of what you're supposed to do to accomplish that objective, but not so much that it takes away the freedom of figuring it out on your own. As for travel, a good sandbox gives you a quick and easy means to travel from destination A to destination B without it being instantaneous, since the genre is built strongly on exploration and thus it'd be weird if they allowed you to just skip over the world.

Back