ATTN: Those who think SMG is overrated.

As much as I've enjoyed what ever the hell just happened I might as well say this the controls in SMG are terrible

Marshal Dan Troop said:
As much as I've enjoyed what ever the hell just happened I might as well say this the controls in SMG are terrible
Besides the camera, which wasn't too bad, the controls were virtually the same as the other games.

Nabber said:
Marshal Dan Troop said:
Besides the camera, which wasn't too bad, the controls were virtually the same as the other games.
I must have missed all the motion control levels in SM64 or SMB3

^which is part of the problem, since it would've worked far better on the GameCube without the unfunctional motion controls bullshit therefore it denigrates the console it was supposed to sell

also no sense of freedom or exploration element goddammit this is the only reason anyone plays 3D Mario platformers and they fucked it up

What are you talking about, Dippy? Super Mario Galaxy was the most explorative 3D Mario game to date.

by forcing you to go to each place rather than letting you check things out by your own accord

Nabber said:
I'm kinda curious, what don't you like about this game?
There's a difference between "I don't like this game" and "I think this game is overrated". While I definitely enjoyed the game, people praise it like it's the game of the gods, which is far too much.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
by forcing you to go to each place rather than letting you check things out by your own accord
I thought there were plenty of stars, like the one at the top of the mountain in some snow galaxy, and the Green Stars, that were certainly out of the way.

And especially the Hungry Luma galaxies, which were certainly off the beaten path.

Nabber said:
Boidoh said:
Would you like to back up that claim?

The entire thread derailed after the first posts or so.
Pandapowah said:
Boidoh said:
Smasher said:
Boidoh said:
There are no Piantas.

So...?

I like Piantas and they are awesome.
There were Piantas on the second game.

Exactly.

Smasher said:
Boidoh said:
Smasher said:
Boidoh said:
There are no Piantas.

So...?

I like Piantas and they are awesome.

And a character you like not appearing in a game shouldn't really affect how you like the game.

Boidoh said:

uh, no, not really.
Why not. I dont hate the game. I just dont like it as much and it doesnt deserve all the praise and is fucked up with alot of motion control.

This entire topic is a huge argument.

Majin Buu said:
Honestly, SMG2 is more overrated than SMG

Thank you; I thought I was going to be the one to say it.

I don't find SMG overrated, only SMG2, because there was almost just a remake of SMG and yet got more appeal for it from critics.

Now, I feel that SMG is just right, but I can definitely see how people might find it overrated. For one, the multiplayer on that game was far too overrated at times, since it was basically nothing but a tiny helper. Some people felt like the controls lowered the status of the game because it could have been better with the classic controls since it didn't even use the wiimote much. As for gameplay, once the game was done, you got to do it again with Luigi, and I think some people felt it was boring once they arrived at that point.

As I stated earlier though, I do feel like it matched the rating it was given by many critics and people alike. The gameplay was completely fresh and creative, with many challenges and obstacles that were well balanced. Enemies, characters, and graphics were well improved from SMS and SM64, feeling more life-like/realistic. The mechanics of gravity and space really boosted the overall effect of the game, taking Mario to another level of gameplay. Of course the bosses were simple, but were at least it is no worse or better than SMS and SM64's bosses. For the camera: it was a ton better than SM64 and SMS, where you don't have to fight it as much to see what is happening, so that made an improvement.

Now, I can go on with both of the ideas, but I just wanted to give some of the main reasons.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
^which is part of the problem, since it would've worked far better on the GameCube without the unfunctional motion controls bull*bleep* therefore it denigrates the console it was supposed to sell

also no sense of freedom or exploration element goddammit this is the only reason anyone plays 3D Mario platformers and they *bleep*ed it up
I thought I was the only one who thought this Dippy! I hated exploration in the series. Sunshine and 64 were better.

I know that there wasn't too much exploration in it, but there was a good amount, and the level design made up for it anyway.

I liked Super Mario Galaxy but I agree that it pretty much doesn't deserve the hype it did from the time. The amount of polish in the game was amazing, but sadly it didn't prevent problems such as crappy camera, most linear levels, purple coins (I love exploring too, but collecting 100 of them is serious buzzkill), twin Luigis, and motion controls from happening.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was made for the sole purpose of implementing elements that the prequel was not able to have. Ironically, the Super Mario Galaxy 2 ISO (1.29 GB / 4.37 GB) uses less memory than the Super Mario Galaxy ISO (3.27 GB / 4.37 GB).

Baby Luigi said:
I liked Super Mario Galaxy but I agree that it pretty much doesn't deserve the hype it did from the time. The amount of polish in the game was amazing, but sadly it didn't prevent problems such as crappy camera, most linear levels, purple coins (I love exploring too, but collecting 100 of them is serious buzzkill), twin Luigis, and motion controls from happening.
You do realize that the purple coins missions were basically a revamped version of the 100 yellow coins missions from previous games?

New Super Mario said:
Chihiro Fujisaki said:
^which is part of the problem, since it would've worked far better on the GameCube without the unfunctional motion controls bull*bleep* therefore it denigrates the console it was supposed to sell

also no sense of freedom or exploration element goddammit this is the only reason anyone plays 3D Mario platformers and they *bleep*ed it up
I thought I was the only one who thought this Dippy! I hated exploration in the series. Sunshine and 64 were better.

you do realize dippy wanted exploration

Nabber said:
Baby Luigi said:
You do realize that the purple coins missions were basically a revamped version of the 100 yellow coins missions from previous games?
Those were mostly optional granted I don't play the galaxy series except Galaxy which I quit once I got to the spooky speedster and SMG2 which I played as the Co-Star Luma and successfully wasted all my friends star coins

But they were also optional in SMG; in fact you can't play them unless you have already beaten Bowser.

Marshal Dan Troop said:
Nabber said:
Baby Luigi said:
Those were mostly optional granted I don't play the galaxy series except Galaxy which I quit once I got to the spooky speedster and SMG2 which I played as the Co-Star Luma and successfully wasted all my friends star coins

Why did you quit?

Boidoh said:
Marshal Dan Troop said:
Nabber said:
Baby Luigi said:

Why did you quit?
Because It tried to steal my Kidneys.

Nabber, it's much easier to grab coins in Super Mario 64 required for 100 of them than 100 purple coins in Super Mario Galaxy. In Super Mario 64, all types of coins count towards getting the star but in Super Mario Galaxy, you have to collect specifically purple coins, which is often a menial task to do. Especially if you happen to die.

Back