Games that get too much love/hate

Mario Party 9 is actually one of the better mario partys. 4-8 felt too similar. MPA however is the worst Mario Party out there.

Super Buu said:
Mario Party 9 is actually one of the better mario partys. 4-8 felt too similar. MPA however is the worst Mario Party out there.

I heard people disliked the car mechanic because of how luck-based it is. In the previous Mario Parties, you can dominate the game by simply winning the minigames. In Mario Party 9, not so. That's one of the reasons I stayed away from the game.

Well, I agree that change could be for the better, but IMO, it was for the worse in Mario Party 9.

The change was for the worse and made MP9 my least favorite Mario Party game. (no i haven't played advance) the minigames were fun at time but the new board mechanic was just...bad.

Game Guy's minigames in Mario Party 3 are all luck based.

Snifit said:
Game Guy's minigames in Mario Party 3 are all luck based.

That's why no one likes them

I pretty much liked Sweet Surprise because, you know, trusting small people can be a good thing to do! (Talking about the Small Chomp)

I still hate Game Guy because he'll take away all my hard-earned coins without even a choice.

Honestly, I think MP9's Car Mode could've been done better if it didn't rely so much on luck. You have like practically no control, it's just "pray you get the number you want" and Dice Blocks don't exactly help either.

I'm sure this has happened to most people, but this is what happens when I use certain dice blocks.

*uses 1-3 Dice Block* *wants a 1 or 2 to avoid the Bob-Omb explosion or the Boo* *GETS A 3* *loses half mini-stars*

*uses 4-6 Dice Block* *wants a 5 or 6 to escape magma* *GETS A 4, LAND ON A MAGMA SPACE* *LOSE HALF MINI-STARS*

*uses 0-1 Dice Block* *wants a 0 to avoid the Bob-Omb explosion or the Boo* *GETS A 1* *LOSE HALF MINI-STARS*

Yeah that's like the story of my life on MP9. Hence why I mainly play mini-games only. Though I still have no idea why it's my 3rd favorite. xD (6 is 1st, 3 is 2nd)

Anyways, about MP7... I find it one of the worst Mario Parties EVER.

First of all, the boards would've been great if it wasn't for the *BLEEPING* BOWSER TIME. Every 5 turns, Bowser and Koopa Kid cause trouble and you have no control over it. If you're in 1st oh god, you better pray they don't try to target you. Because if they do you will lose a star. (Depending on the board) It's just a bunch of BS and it's a waste of time. We already face trouble when landing on Bowser's Space, but every 5 turns? NO THANKS. >___<

Secondly, I don't like how the Orbs got nerfed from MP6.

Toady Orb- Should've given the orb to you instead of just using it on the board (for Yellow and Red orbs) (If it was a green or blue orb, then Toady would just take it for himself).

Zap Orb- 3 coins per space lost passed compared to 5 coins per space lost.

Warp Pipe Orb- Being a roadblock was a WTF, Thwomp Orb was preferable.

Pink Boo Orb- I preferred it being an event.

Koopa Kid Orb was annoying >__<

Snack Orb should've been automatic like in MP6. >__>

I didn't really like Special Orbs either.

Thirdly, the mini-games are just bland and they are lacking. Really only 13 4 player mini-games (not counting mic nor battle) compared to other MP games where they have around 23? No.

Baby Luigi said:
I still hate Game Guy because he'll take away all my hard-earned coins without even a choice.
If you could choose how many coins to wager I would've liked it better. Then at least you wouldn't lose ALL your coins due to luck.

^Gosh, the mini-star scenario sounds terrible! Ah, good thing I didn't buy Mario Party 9 >_>;

First of all, the boards would've been great if it wasn't for the *BLEEPING* BOWSER TIME. Every 5 turns, Bowser and Koopa Kid cause trouble and you have no control over it. If you're in 1st oh god, you better pray they don't try to target you. Because if they do you will lose a star. (Depending on the board) It's just a bunch of BS and it's a waste of time. We already face trouble when landing on Bowser's Space, but every 5 turns? NO THANKS. >___<

My reaction is pretty much a mental scoff. I'm usually too far ahead for the event to actually care about. But one of the stupidest Bowser Time events is the one where Bowser crushes a windmill. If it's yours, all of your coins and stars are gone. Simple. It's that stupid.

I read the Neon Heights one on the Super Mario Wiki and the one where he steals it from first sounds outright atrocious. Good thing it never happened to me.

I never played Pyramid Park. Never liked the mechanics of that board.

Toady Orb- Should've given the orb to you instead of just using it on the board (for Yellow and Red orbs) (If it was a green or blue orb, then Toady would just take it for himself).I agree. You know what to do with them, not some stupid Toady.

Zap Orb- 3 coins per space lost passed compared to 5 coins per space lost. I think this was more of a balancing issue. I thought it was quite overpowered to lose 20 coins when you moved 4 spaces. Buuut I like seeing the CPUs be miserable, so I'm not complaining.

Warp Pipe Orb- Being a roadblock was a WTF, Thwomp Orb was preferable. It should have been a Green Orb. You know, to use it on yourself. But Mario Party 6 worked the same way too.

Pink Boo Orb- I preferred it being an event. Agreed.

Koopa Kid Orb was annoying >__< Agreed. I freaking hate it when he swaps coins with another person, or equalizes it. Isn't there already orbs that can do that job?

Snack Orb should've been automatic like in MP6. >__> I agree. The way it's used is pretty dumb.

I didn't really like Special Orbs either. Oh yes, some orbs are really cheap. The Flower Orb comes to mind. And the Egg Orb is probably the worst one. They're not balanced well.

Thirdly, the mini-games are just bland and they are lacking. Really only 13 4 player mini-games (not counting mic nor battle) compared to other MP games where they have around 23? No. Hey, some minigames are great. Think Tank, Balloonatic, Spider Stomp, Ice Moves, Apes of Wrath, etc. were some great ones.

Actually I loved the Egg Orb since I found it was a superior version of the Metal Mushroom Orb. XD
...Unfortunately I usually rolled a low number >__>
But yeah, Flower Orb is soooooo cheap.

Oh you are not lying about Bowser crushing the windmill. That is just BEYOND ridiculous.

I still found that most of the mini-games were just bad. =P

Pyramid Park, if your star is stolen, Koopa Kid will be on the board with it and anyone can steal it from him. Also Bowser can destroy the bridges, so you wouldn't have access to the Orb Shops. >__>

The minigames are great in Mario Party 9 though even if the boards aren't. The Bob-omb Factory is a great board though.

Timmy said:
Actually I loved the Egg Orb since I found it was a superior version of the Metal Mushroom Orb. XD
...Unfortunately I usually rolled a low number >__>
But yeah, Flower Orb is soooooo cheap.

The Egg Orb should have lasted for more turns IMO, not just one.

The Flower Orb lets you get 3 coins per move AND avoids traps. WTF? I mean, there is the Magic Wand orb which doubles your roll and lets you avoid traps but at least you don't get rich quick when you use it AND avoid traps.

Timmy said:
Oh you are not lying about Bowser crushing the windmill. That is just BEYOND ridiculous.

The worst part is that it is totally random. So I can't be comfortable buying that 3 star windmill because of Bowser.

Mario Party 8 did a better job at this mechanic than Mario Party 7 simply because of the lack of Bowser Time.

Timmy said:
I still found that most of the mini-games were just bad. =P

Possibly. Think Tank could never match up to Cannonball Fun (MP6). And Cannonball Fun could never match up to Mario Mechs (MP5). No Mario Party minigame could match up to Mario Mechs.

Spray Anything is pretty stupid minigame that comes to mind.
Cointagous sucks
Bowser's Lovely Lift is a pretty underwhelming final Bowser minigame. Especially when you compare it to the likes of Frightmare (MP5), The Final Battle! (MP4), Superstar Showdown (MP8), and Bowser's Block Party (MPDS).

Timmy said:
Pyramid Park, if your star is stolen, Koopa Kid will be on the board with it and anyone can steal it from him. Also Bowser can destroy the bridges, so you wouldn't have access to the Orb Shops. >__>

I remember that happening to me once. Fondly.

I think the boards in MP9 could have been a bit longer.

The poor DS Mario Party game gets too much hate. I thought it was great, except for Kamek's Library which was a bore to play on.

Sayaka Maizono said:
The poor DS Mario Party game gets too much hate. I thought it was great, except for Kamek's Library which was a bore to play on.

I agree. It has the best multiplayer any Mario DS game can offer.

Baby Luigi said:
Sayaka Maizono said:

I agree. It has the best multiplayer any Mario DS game can offer.
Yeah, all the recent Mario Parties are awful imo, except for DS.

DS was a great one, and I agree that Kamek's Library is a bore. At least the boss thing is decent.

Snifit said:
Boidoh said:
In a way, but it still IS good. You wanna know what gets TOO much love? SMB3, SMW, PM, PM:TTYD.

People act like NOTHING can beat those games. SMB3 was kinda boring IMO, SMW was much better, but people act like nothing can beat those games, and I actually found SMS to be MORE fun that ALL of those. PM people say "it has a lot of replay value", but yet the game cant be continued after the final boss, I think its the same with PM:TTYD.

The game that gets too much hate is SPM and SMS.

How dare you??? SMB3 was a masterpiece! Besides, I haven't seen many people playing it or talking about it! Also, the enemies introduced in SMB3 get so much hate!

Also, Super Mario World's enemies have the same problem as SMB3's... But yeah, there's alot of playthroughs of it.

Super Mario Sunshine gets alot of love, considering I see alot of playthroughs for it.

Well, I thought I was the ONLY one who hated SPM because you all kept ganging up on me on the "Unpopular Opinions" topic. But yeah, I agree.

Mario Tennis for the N64 gets alot of hate, I actually thought it was fun but I'm confused about how Shy Guy is considered a "Technique" character.

But Mario Power Tennis gets alot of love for Diddy Kong and Overrated Petey Piranha being playable, seriously???

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door can still be played after you have defeated the final boss. Paper Mario 64 can't, though.

I actually like Mario Party 9. It still keeps one thing I like, if you're good at minigames, you can have a good edge even if you aren't lucky.
None of the times I've been Superstar have I had more Stars obtained en route, no no no. Most of my Mini Stars came from minigames.
There are other various factors, but the game still depends on minigames. Only like 3 minigames require luck also(Bowser's Block Battle has some luck, but it also has stealing other's attacks by rolling their dice).

Bowser Station is really the only board you need to rely on luck to win.

Back