Overrated Mario Characters

A overrated Mario character I would bring is Petey Piranha.

Petey's fanbase has become annoying lately, when I talk about Super Mario Sunshine with my friends in school, some Petey fans come to annoy me and my friends.

Gosh, since Petey existed some of the fanbase rather say that games are cool just cause Petey is on it.

Piranha Plants are underrated in general, but Petey... Sweet christ...

Toad85 said:
Yoshi. Just... Yoshi. I just don't see what's so fricking interesting about him.
I do think Yoshi is adorable. At least Yoshi is a main character and fans don't have to favor.

MnSG said:
People say that Yoshi is overrated, and yet he's never really been portrayed as a major character in most mainstream Mario titles.
Uniju said:
Except for Yoshi's Island, which spawned his own spinoff franchise. And Super Mario 64 DS where he was even more important than Mario.
In main games, Yoshi is a common "tool" for Mario, even though he should be in Yoshi islands while Birdo and some other Mushroom characters didn't appear at all. Yoshi series is okay as a prequel of Mario series.
In spinoffs, Yoshi does have some excessive appearances.

Uniju said:
Yoshi isn't an overrated character because Yoshi isn't a character. Yoshi is a species. :yoshi: An overrated one.

Toad85 is talking about Yoshi, the character who is named after his species. The green one always playable in spin-offs, games, etc.

Broly said:
IceShadow1199 said:
Petey's fanbase has become annoying lately
You're not reffering to me are you?

He wasn't. He was talking about other people in his school

BTW, I KNEW you would pipe in when he mentioned Petey

I haven't noticed either. I know Petey has fans (besides you of course), I guess they aren't as obnoxious as Waluigi, Yoshi, Geno, and Luigi fans

Uniju said:
Except for Yoshi's Island, which spawned his own spinoff franchise. And Super Mario 64 DS where he was even more important than Mario.

Hence the term, "most".

According to PeatyPiranhaLover, Peaty has a lot of haters.

Broly said:
IceShadow1199 said:
Petey's fanbase has become annoying lately
You're not reffering to me are you?

Not Broly, I'm talking about others, I wouldn't think you're annoying tough. You seem very nice.

Mini Star said:
Revision:

Overrated by Nintendo:

Baby Mario

Shy Guys

Baby Luigi

Toads

By fans:

Rosalina (regardless if I like her which I do)

Mario (come on already!)

Toadette

Luigi

Baby Luigi overrated? Are you nuts? Baby Luigi makes minor apperances while Baby Mario makes a gazillion. So.... Baby Luigi is underrated.

You do realize it is impossible to complain that the MAIN HERO OF THE MARIO(even named after him) SERIES, is in too many games and is overrated.

Granted Mario is one of my least liked characters, overrated? Fuck no.

Does that mean Link is overrated because he is in all of the zelda games?

How about Kirby? Clearly kirby is overrated because of all the times he has been hero in the kirby games.

If the Mario series was bad then maybe you could say he was overrated but i think you would be talking about the series anyway.

Oh yea and my answer: Toad and Geno.

Geno just seems stupid to me and i never got toad. He is a stupid mushroom that tells you bad news and has an irrating(IMO) voice. I like Toadette better.

(Also i see Luigi more as Underrated. He has little games dedicated to him. What two? And most people i know don't like him.)

most people here love Luigi. he finished first in favorite Major character at last year's Mario Awards and has a good shot at getting it again this year.

Smasher said:
most people here love Luigi. he finished first in favorite Major character at last year's Mario Awards and has a good shot at getting it again this year.
Well then maybe i'm wrong.

Guess people round where i live just don't appreciate the sidekick.

Mini Star said:
Revision:
Overrated by Nintendo:
Baby Mario
Shy Guys
Baby Luigi
Toads

By fans:
Toadette
If you specify Shy Guy, maybe most generic species are the same as SGs aren't the most recurring ones.

Babies are okay to me, as they don't have too many appearances in spinoffs.

I don't really see toads overrated, as Toad and Toadette don't have too many appearances in spinoffs. And in theory, they do have big role in mainstream stories when their princess is kidnapped.

Simon Belmont said:
Oh yea and my answer: Toad and Geno.

Geno just seems stupid to me and i never got toad. He is a stupid mushroom that tells you bad news and has an irrating(IMO) voice. I like Toadette better.

(Also i see Luigi more as Underrated. He has little games dedicated to him. What two? And most people i know don't like him.)

Toad overrated? I do hope you're joking. He's easily one of the more neglected characters in the series as he's continuously being pushed aside by the newer characters in terms as a lead character (I know there are others who are treated worse, but Toad is still one of them). Toad hasn't received a starring/heroic playable role since 1994's Wario's Woods (excluding remakes of games he was in) which was released nearly two decades ago. He's always been put aside as a side character while all the other main characters in the series have developed and gained strong identities (with newer ones sadly overtaking Toad as well now). Even now, I do worry if he's being phased out as an individual as a result of his lack of appearances and how generic he's become recently.

Bringing the bad news is a part of what makes a Mario game's plot begin and often Toad is seen to be helping more than being a symbol of unfortune. Also poor voice acting really shouldn't be a basis of character dislike. I dislike voices such as those belonging to Birdo; however, that doesn't necessarily mean that I dislike the character overall. Still I respect your opinion if you are not a fan of Toad (we all have different opinions and I am not going to force anyone to like anything).

Yes, Toads are being featured as playable characters in NSMB U (which they deserve after all their years of commitment to the series); however, Toad himself has yet to receive anything large in terms of a role in the recent years. I didn't mean to pickpocket your specific post; however, seeing that you said that Luigi is underrated while Toad is overrated in spite of the latter having little to no games of which he is one of the main protagonists is just something I couldn't ignore.

So according to people on this thread the following characters are overrated:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Toad
Bowser
The Koopalings
Rosalina
Birdo
Wart
Tatanga
Bowser Jr.
DK
Diddy Kong
Waluigi
Funky Kong
Poochy
Geno
Fawful
Waluigi
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Wario
Petey Piranha
Toadette

So pretty much EVERYONE in the series is overrated then, except Daisy for some strange reason :???:. I have to say the Koopalings are very overrated by Nintendo. It was cool fighting them again in NSMBWii but now they're back AGAIN in NSMB2, c'mon, that's overdoing it a bit.

Tatanga said:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Toad
Bowser
The Koopalings
Rosalina
Birdo
Wart
Tatanga
Bowser Jr.
DK
Diddy Kong
Waluigi
Funky Kong
Poochy
Geno
Fawful
Waluigi
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Wario
Petey Piranha
Toadette

So pretty much EVERYONE in the series is overrated then, except Daisy for some strange reason :???:. I have to say the Koopalings are very overrated by Nintendo. It was cool fighting them again in NSMBWii but now they're back AGAIN in NSMB2, c'mon, that's overdoing it a bit.

How is Tatanga overrated? Seriously, Wario takes all the spotlight from Tatanga, Tatanga isn't even talked much about. And Tatanga only appeared in TWO games, and he's still the very antagonist in this.

Birdo overrated? Well she has only appeared in two games (three if you count on Doki Doki Panic), besiding the spin-offs but that doesn't make her overrated, right?

Baby Luigi overrated? Seriously, Baby Mario steals his spotlight every single damn time, along with Baby Peach according to BLOF.

Toadette never got a game for herself, and she appears a little on the spin-offs, sure she made it on Thousand-Year Door but still.

Poochy makes minor appearances, and people call him "stupid". Seriously, what are you thinking?

Wart is not even talked much about, and he didn't make much appearances. Sure some people want him back, but he's underrated until the fangirls appear.

Bowser Jr. never got a game for himself, he's more like Bowser's assistant rather than "a man's best pet", and he's not talked much about, along with Bowser.

Toad, just check Propeller Toad's post... Nuff' said.

Peach overrated? What the hell? She only got one game for herself and she's used very in spin-offs but still, people call her a bitch, a whore, a ***, and a bitch who always get kidnapped. Seriously.

Donkey Kong....overrated? He's like no one's favorite character anywhere.

Tatanga said:

This is a subjective topic, but at least by according to mainstream games and spinoff appearances, we can know who are oveerrated. Most replies didn't individually tell why they are overrated.

Koopalings are okay, in early history they do appear in many media but now this series is occupied by other wellknown characters. :???:

Luigi

Luigi overrated? Most of the people that know him call him a "wuss".

Back