Overrated Mario Characters

Mini Star said:
Wario
Waluigi
Piantas
Nokis
Baby Luigi.

Yeah just because me, and me alone, go gaga over him

Beats me. I don't even hear Poochy very much, which even adds to the oddity of this scenario.

Poochy has an extremely large fanbase even though he appeared in two games and two games only.

It's kinda like how people love Geno.

Minuette said:
Poochy has an extremely large fanbase even though he appeared in two games and two games only.

It's kinda like how people love Geno.
Actually three. (Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, and Yoshi's Island DS)

Geno because so many people want him in a Super Smash Bros game where they need to know that there is a 0.1% chance of that happening.

Funky Kong. He's really just a talking DK with clothes with a sterotypical 'gnarly' attitude. Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, Dinky, Cranky, Wrinkly and DK Junior (if he still counts as a separate character to DK) are all superior and are much more unique.

Tatanga said:
Funky Kong. He's really just a talking DK with clothes with a sterotypical 'gnarly' attitude. Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, Dinky, Cranky, Wrinkly and DK Junior (if he still counts as a separate character to DK) are all superior and are much more unique.
I couldn't agree more.

Tatanga said:

I agree. And of course DK Jr. has to be counted a separate entity; he is Donkey Kong's son. It's like saying Bowser and Bowser Jr. should be considered the same character, when they're clearly note.

Tatanga said:

I can see that only in Mario Kart Wii where he is WAY over-used

Anser said:
Tatanga said:

I agree. And of course DK Jr. has to be counted a separate entity; he is Donkey Kong's son. It's like saying Bowser and Bowser Jr. should be considered the same character, when they're clearly note.
It's generally believed that Cranky is the original Donkey Kong, most games seem to imply that. The main confusion is whether Cranky is the current Donkey Kong's grandfather or father. I believe DK 64 is the only game where he's said to be the current DK's father, the rest state him to be Modern DK's grandfather, so it's probably safe to say he's Modern DK's grandfather with the oddball DK 64 simply getting it wrong (or maybe Cranky calling DK his 'son' in that game was a sign of his senility).

So in fact it's probably the other way around, with DK Jr. being DK's father! It is a bit weird, especially since it raises the question 'what the hell happened to DK Jr.?!'. Did he die :eek:? What about DK's mother (who I theorise to be the pink monkey from Donkey Kong Jr. Math)? Did she die too :'(. Well, probably not, he's probably off doing his own thing which is why he rarely appears in games. In Mario Tennis I reckon the DK that appears is the current DK and DK. Jr is the original DK Jr and the father of that DK, with DK simply outgrowing him (as children often do with their parents when they grow up).

#Overthought

I think that new Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong Jr.

They appear at the same time in Mairo Tennis for the same reason as Mario and Baby Mario.

TIME TRAVEL!

Oh God. Not* Not* Not* Not* NOT* NOT* Stupid typo in my last post...

I still think that Donkey Kong Jr. is today's Donkey Kong's son. However, I can't understand why he hasn't appeared since Mario Tennis... No, Diddy Kong is not an excuse... I like Donkey Kong Jr. better =/ Diddy Kong is a little annoying

Tatanga said:
Tatanga said:
So in fact it's probably the other way around, with DK Jr. being DK's father! It is a bit weird, especially since it raises the question 'what the hell happened to DK Jr.?!'. Did he die :eek:? What about DK's mother (who I theorise to be the pink monkey from Donkey Kong Jr. Math)? Did she die too :'(. Well, probably not, he's probably off doing his own thing which is why he rarely appears in games. In Mario Tennis I reckon the DK that appears is the current DK and DK. Jr is the original DK Jr and the father of that DK, with DK simply outgrowing him (as children often do with their parents when they grow up).

#Overthought
That's abit off-topic, in this topic Funky or DK Jr are not generally overrated. I might only say Diddy is, according to roster appearances.

In a more reasonable assumption, the present DK country era has nothing to do with early DK games, and the staff just made excuse to claim that the old DK and new DK have relationships (while Mario and Pauline's age were not considered).

For symbolic meanings, it might be true that Diddy is a redesign or replacement of DK Jr.

Yoshi.

Just... Yoshi.

I just don't see what's so fricking interesting about him.

And about half the users on this site have Yoshi-themed names.

wtf.

Yoshi isn't an overrated character because Yoshi isn't a character. Yoshi is a species. :yoshi: An overrated one.

People say that Yoshi is overrated, and yet he's never really been portrayed as a major character in most mainstream Mario titles.

Except for Yoshi's Island, which spawned his own spinoff franchise. And Super Mario 64 DS where he was even more important than Mario.

Back