Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

im tired of dk rep being just dk island swing for the 93043946456th time even the mario rabbids dlc is kind of rife with that stuff

Needs more Cranky.

Another unpopular opinion coming!

Mario Golf's box art has a lack of variety in Mario poses compared to Mario Tennis. To illustrate my point, here's how Mario is portrayed in Mario Tennis:

unknown.png

You can see him doing a wide array of things in between the games, like how in the first game he's serving the ball, Open where he's volleying the ball and so on.

Now take a look at Mario Golf:

unknown.png

Did you see how, four times out of six, he's holding the same pose? There is really not much variety but it's better than him doing the same thing. I mean, even Toadstool Tour shows that it's possible to have a different Mario pose. To make this clear: I am not asking for Mario to do more than swinging the golf club, but to give him a different variety and angle to his golf-swinging.

He could even do something different like how Yoshi does it in Mario Sports Superstars:
unknown.png

And then of course, Mario does not need to be swinging the golf club to shows the sport of golfing, like this Toadstool Tour of him carrying a golf bag:

ToadstoolTour_MarioScan.png

So in summary, Mario Golf could do with a wider variety of posing/perspective. Again, it is probably unpopular of an opinion, and I say that because I found out that not everyone sees the issue here, like how the lack of pose variety justifies the uniform pose for Mario Golf (which I need to point out again: even a perspective change or the timing in the golf swing makes a huge difference).

Thank you for reading.

If Power Tennis is allowed to show Mario's clumsy side, it would be funny if a box for Mario Golf shows Mario whiffing.

I gave Break Free (Lead the Way) a listen in my car drive and I want to love the song but even after another listen I always feel like it's undercooked, particularly vocals, they simply don't have enough range. The instrumentation is decent at least. It's okay but I think it's mostly just the shock of lyrics is why people remember the song.

Yeah the vocals are an improvement. Didn't expect male vocals, but it works. The shrieks definitely were the higher range I was left wanting from the original.

I really like the additional references to other games particularly Super Mario 64.

though I still think the instrumentation can use more too imo, can't say for sure if it's also undercooked, have to listen to it more.

Last edited:
they legit look bad too i think people would have takwn less tracks if it meant the visuals were on par with the rest of the game instead of being copy pasted from tour

I haven't gotten around to trying them (I'm not willing to dump money on this game again) but my sister said the styles of the tracks clash so badly that they seem like a fan track to rather than something featured in a professional work. They don't look like they belong in the game and it heavily impacts her enjoyment of these tracks. She also pointed out that the roads are so wide you can fit the entire Daisy Cruiser on them, and indeed several of these tracks seem insufferably wide even on 150cc.

Finally it's more of a personal preference. We spent much more time on Battle Mode than racing so these tracks end up as like these novelties that lose our interest real quickly. You race through them once on hardest 200cc crap and smoke the opponents, you don't feel compelled to do this again. Online? Yeah why would I subject myself to one of my most miserable and anxiety inducing gaming experience that is matched only by Smash online? Miss me.

Racing feeling repetitive seems like major issue with the Mario Kart series in fact but it seems to burn out even more quickly with these tracks, maybe because there's zero incentive to beat them besides a trophy and they're not particularly interesting. At least in Battle Mode while the novelty of the arenas wear off, you're never exactly certain what to expect from a round, even in easiest difficulties where you're gonna win anyway, keeps it usually interesting. I just wish we had more control whom to face in battle. At least you can use the new karts in Battle Mode, and the new characters even lame ones can at least be modded over.

Btw the update also introduces a few changes, a bug maybe? I noticed in battle mode first place is way more likely to get triple mushrooms on frantic. I think the dlc update screwed up spawn positions too, like in Luigi's Mansion our red team ALWAYS spawn on bottom floor and we'd rather spawn on top (easier to exploit AI pathing, item box hogging, and essentially spawn kill Wario and co.) when prior to the thing it was practically a coin flip. So more reason to be a little more than a little irritated at how this thing's handled.

What I especially don't like about the quality of the new tracks is that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold over 53.79 million units, still regularly charts on the best sellers of the week in Japan according to Gematsu, and knocked out Mario Kart Wii as the best selling Mario Kart and is looking to overtake Super Mario Bros. as the best selling Mario game period, being the 7th best selling game of all time.

So, can you forgive me that I'd be a little bit peeved that I feel shortcharged by the track's quality compared to the base game? Especially since 8 on the Wii U did miles less but the new tracks it got released in DLC at least felt like base game tracks?

In all honesty, graphics aren't everything. Coconut Mall still looks like Coconut Mall, doesn't it? This was probably made with a smaller budget so yeah, it may look "worse" than the base game.

What I especially don't like about the quality of the new tracks is that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold over 53.79 million units, still regularly charts on the best sellers of the week in Japan according to Gematsu, and knocked out Mario Kart Wii as the best selling Mario Kart and is looking to overtake Super Mario Bros. as the best selling Mario game period, being the 7th best selling game of all time.

So, can you forgive me that I'd be a little bit peeved that I feel shortcharged by the track's quality compared to the base game? Especially since 8 on the Wii U did miles less but the new tracks it got released in DLC at least felt like base game tracks?

I'd be bothered by it were it not for the sheer amount they are releasing.

Plus just because a game sold more numbers, doesn't mean it has more money to blow on resources.

I still don't think it's unreasonable to have some standards of quality for a product that I paid for. Quantity = / = quality. The effort I seen is blantantly naked in its attempts of profit maximization and that don't fly with me.

I still don't think it's unreasonable to have some standards of quality for a product that I paid for. Quantity = / = quality.

Course it doesn't equal quality. But you're still paying for a lot of it. They may not look the prettiest but each track still functions as it should. Thus you get what you pay for. If you wanted it to be prettier on top of that they'd have to charge more.

No, I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth for rather lackluster tracks that clash heavily with the rest of the game. Track aesthetics are part of a track's design, they aren't wholly segregated from how it functions.

I wouldn't mind being charged more and if more time was spent on the tracks. People who have issues with especially the time it takes need to play other video games to bridge the release gap.

No, I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth for rather lackluster tracks that clash heavily with the rest of the game. Track aesthetics are part of a track's design, they aren't wholly segregated from how it functions.

I wouldn't mind being charged more and if more time was spent on the tracks. People who have issues with especially the time it takes need to play other video games to bridge the release gap.

I mean if you don't like the tracks themselves then thats your prerogative. Doesn't suddenly make the offer they are giving terrible.

"Terrible" is subjective and I don't agree that these tracks are acceptable quality for this game.

"Terrible" is subjective and I don't agree that these tracks are acceptable quality for this game.

Well you should agree, because it rhymes with the word me. :V

In all honesty, graphics aren't everything. Coconut Mall still looks like Coconut Mall, doesn't it? This was probably made with a smaller budget so yeah, it may look "worse" than the base game.
Yeah it's not the worst thing in the world but I'm not a fan of the major style clash. I didn't say the tracks necessarily look bad, just don't look like they belong in the same game as base game. And the style clash gets in the way of my personal enjoyment of the game to the point I say, "eh whatevs I ain't hyped for the dlc personally" which I suspect a lot of people disagree, hence why I posted that take on this thread. The nicest thing I have to say for the tracks is that yeah they're *fine* and fantastic if you're a weeny ploopa who plays Mario Kart online seriously and has roller tire body pillow withdrawal but to me, it's not for me.

This is in addition to the reality that I'm in a minority for playing Mario Kart for Battle Mode and was just peeved the update changed some game mechanics that aren't necessarily welcome (though more frequent triple mushrooms on first place frantic Balloon Battle is nice because losing all your balloons grants a stupidly punishing penalty of docking half your points which should've been addressed but again I'm a battle mode player who plays Mario Kart only to grief Wario, don't take me seriously)

Tldr unpopular opinion from a small portion of the Mario Kart player base

IDK if it's a common sentiment but I've seen a video that derided Mario circuits, particularly the ones in Mario Kart Wii. Lemme get this straight: Mario circuits are underrated. I dislike only the Wii one, but the GCN one is great. The Mario Kart 8 one is like one of the very few examples that takes advantage of the antigravity. The Mario Circuit on GBA is great too. I also enjoy Mario Raceway.

It might not be flashy and loaded with special effects and fancy hazards, but similar to Neo Bowser City, they're straightforward courses that have the right amount of turns and straightaways for a pretty good racing track.

Well, because it's a course of mostly long straightaways and not too many interesting turns to make. The Chain Chomp is like the only thing that mixes things up somewhat. Also, it feels like a bunch of assets from Mario Circuit GCN strung together, as both tracks feature a chain chomp and both tracks have Goombas at the end, so there's a lot of deja vu and feels like they added a Mario Circuit for que and not really because they needed it.

It's a lot more fun in faster hacked speeds like 200cc, granted, and even faster, but it's kind of insufferable in anything slower. It suffers from similar problems as Figure 8 Circuit for having dreary straightaways. The roads aren't as wide as in Figure 8, but eh.

By the way I do enjoy Toad Circuit even though people seem to dislike it.

Luigi Circuit from the GCN games is good too. It DOES have a long straightaway but in 100cc and higher, that wall in the middle is removed, the track width is narrowed, and it's a lot more chaotic.

On a side note, Mario Circuit GCN in Double Dash is absolute unforgiving HELL on Bowser Shells only and if you enable Bowser Shells to bounce forever and enable many many Bowser Shells to be deployed on the field. It's way worse than any single Rainbow Road can hope to be. The only tracks that are potentially worse are tracks also by Mario and his brother: Luigi Circuit and Baby Park.

Back