Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Rayquaza said:
Remember when Yoshi sounded like a DJ turntable? I do

Yeah. Yoshi was great. His voice was not. Nowadays that's better though.

NSMB gets a lot of flack for recycling and being unoriginal which it certainly is but I still say NSMBDS is a fantastic game easily on par with it's retro predecessors.

Mcmadness said:
NSMB gets a lot of flack for recycling and being unoriginal which it certainly is but I still say NSMBDS is a fantastic game easily on par with it's retro predecessors.

It was just the retro predecessors with updated graphics and 3D moves thrown in like the ground pound. The only thing that was actually new was the koopa shell power up.

And all the cool new level gimmicks that took advantage of Mario's expanded moveset.

New Super Mario Bros. DS is one of my favorite Mario platformers.

It's nostalgic and I love Mario vs Luigi mode.

Mario Party used to do something like that but idk what happened to it

Take a few pages from Bowser's book (make him stomp the floor until he falls in a hole, throw objects back at him, or Larry and Iggy's SMW fight by pushing them in the lava).

Mcmadness said:
Bowser will never get old.
That's biologically correct.

To be honest, I am really happy that the Koopalings returned in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but for the fact itself, since as bosses they are almost like in Super Mario Bros. 3: 3 stomps in less than a minute and on to the next world! Unfortunately, even in Superstar Saga they are ridiculously easy, and I seriously wonder if a Mario game exists where they are serious bosses and not ultra-weak kids that Mario defeats because he's ultimately the true bad guy (no, seriously, in NSMBDS the last battles against Bowser Jr. are gruesome as it is blatant violence against a poor child who cannot even devise any more a way to be a threat to Mario...). I'd rather have them as playable characters or talking NPCs...

Mister Wu said:
Mcmadness said:

To be honest, I am really happy that the Koopalings returned in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but for the fact itself, since as bosses they are almost like in Super Mario Bros. 3: 3 stomps in less than a minute and on to the next world! Unfortunately, even in Superstar Saga they are ridiculously easy, and I seriously wonder if a Mario game exists where they are serious bosses and not ultra-weak kids that Mario defeats because he's ultimately the true bad guy (no, seriously, in NSMBDS the last battles against Bowser Jr. are gruesome as it is blatant violence against a poor child who cannot even devise any more a way to be a threat to Mario...). I'd rather have them as playable characters or talking NPCs...

I don't know, I think the battles are just ultimately Nintendo being lazy with them as they were always had been, and so they can have an excuse for seven boss fights with minimal programming. That's how I saw their conception, and until Nintendo continues being lazy with them, that's how I'll always see them.

Aren't they like more serious bosses in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam or something? How about Yoshi's Safari?

Baby Luigi said:
Mister Wu said:
Mcmadness said:

I don't know, I think the battles are just ultimately Nintendo being lazy with them as they were always had been, and so they can have an excuse for seven boss fights with minimal programming. That's how I saw their conception, and until Nintendo continues being lazy with them, that's how I'll always see them.

Aren't they like more serious bosses in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam or something? How about Yoshi's Safari?
In Paper Jam they have strong attacks - provided that the trio is mostly at the same level, doesn't use Koopalings card and beans - but not many HPs, with the first battle against Roy and Wendy being prorbably the longest. If the player manages to avoid some attacks it's mostly a matter of 2 -3 turns, from the many videos I saw. A first step in the right direction, but still pretty easy, especially when compared to the Kameks and Bowser Jr.s. Yoshi's Safari might be the game in which they have the best role gameplay-wise. Unfortunately, unless it is released on the Wii U virtual console using the same trick used for the NES games, we'll probably not know.

I think the point of the Koopalings in SMB3 was creating variety - without counting SMB2 that was developed as a different game, before the bosses were mainly Bowser's impostors so they all looked mostly the same. On the other hand, the Koopalings had various distinct designs - at least on paper (I'd say that sprite-wise and even gameplay-wise the Koopalings in SMB3 were not always that distinct from each other...). Having them as Bowser's children also helped making Bowser more interesting - the evil king but also the father, with the children perhaps having each some shades of Bowser's personality while still having their own. And the only female of Bowser's species!

Doctor Kirby said:
Magikrazy said:
Plus all the unique bosses rather than just False Bowsers or Koopalings.

Aside from Bowser, you still just stomp on them three times, or just walk into them with the Mega Mushroom.
And in the Giant Goomba fight, you huddle in the bottom left corner and just throw fireballs until it's dead.

Actually, that's what every fight can be summed up as: death by fireballs.

Still love the game, though.

Boss fights aren't the highlights of most Mario games anyhow.

I think Yoshi's new island is alright.

My unpopular opinion is that we also seek and destroy every copy of Yoshi's New Island so society would get a huge benefit from burning them.

(if that "story" is correct, that means that Baby Luigi literally gets kidnapped as soon as he gets rescued...honestly I think they just tied in those two plots in the most incohesive manner because they lack talent and wanted to ---- over anyone who has beaten the original Yoshi's Island and Baby Luigi fans aka me)

I usually like Yoshi games, but New Island was an utter abomination.

Gameplay wise? Nothing. It does everything it's predecessor did. Problem? Thats pretty much all it does.

It's competently made but little else.

Oh and it's beginning and ending are terrible.

And I forgot about it's great soundtrack.

The soundtrack is pretty boring and its credits music would have been pretty good if they hadn't used bleeping KAZOOS in it. That's like, THE MOST inappropriate instrument to use in a soothing tune.

Back