Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

@Swiftie_Luma: Rosalina was likely added to Spin-Offs and eventually important stuff like 3D World and Smash because of how popular she was after Super Mario Galaxy. It may also be on part that Nintendo likes her on a similar level to her fans.

I do remember when Rosalina hardly appeared much at all and there were many fans wishing for her to appear more often. It's hard to believe now, but there was a time fans were worried Nintendo was going to let Rosalina fall into obscurity after Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii.

Now it's not even a surprise at this point when Rosalina is announced playable in a new Mario game. I think Smash 4 was the last time we were actually surprised Rosalina was chosen simply because we thought Rosalina didn't quite have the history yet despite how her playable Super Mario 3D World appearance (Which was revealed only weeks prior to her being confirmed for Smash) probably should of been a hint towards all this.

Maybe for some fans that preferred her to be more mysterious and/or a character that should only appear in special cases are now feeling a bit of a "Be careful what you wish for" kind of feeling. But regardless of voice actor changes, and what could seem as OOC based on people's interpretations of Rosalina. I think Rosalina fans should be for the most part grateful she appears so often. There's alot of fans of other characters in the Marioverse that wish they had a promotion of this magnitude.

I don't know how anybody could think Rosalina as mysterious when we got an entire storybook explaining her backstory.

Well , IIRC that's how she is usually described in bios along with the ''cosmic observatory keeper'' etc...

What happens here , is exactly what happened to Daisy back in the day. Bios claimed that Daisy was a tomboy yet she was as girly as Peach , even keeping the Beauty stamp in MP3 and her voice was very quiet and relaxed. Today , Daisy is clearly loud a behaves like an energetic tomboy in many appearences , making honor to her bios ; Rosalina's case is the opposite.

From my perspective , im not grateful one of my favorite characters debuts in Low tier games.

Smash 4 aside , Mario Tennis US and Mario Party 10 are al garbage that have not replay value because of how boring they are and how quick you get over those games.

The Rio games , for what i can see and hear , it's very close to being low tier too . Even if the Wii U version is better , those games aren't system sellers nor games that people are hyped for.

Rosalina being generic , sounding terrible and not having anything else to do in the game other that ''just being there'' it's just as boring as not having her in the game at all , because the game itself is just bad.

Mario Tennis US lacking online with friends is just hilarious btw.

Unpopular opinion:

People liked Mario is Missing.

People liked Mario Party 10

Swiftie_Luma said:
Unpopular opinion:

People liked Mario is Missing.

People liked Mario Party 10
That's a statement of fact, not an opinion.

There will always be people out there who like these games, even unironically.

Yup. Just like a cult following, with even a famous meme around it, Weegee.

I think the box cover at least looks decent in Mario is Missing.

I thought of another one just now.

I think this ties into the Mario series loosely, but - Game Theory's theories in regard to the Mario series are all garbage.

ルイージ said:
I think this ties into the Mario series loosely, but - Game Theory's theories in regard to the Mario series are all garbage.
This doesn't seem too unpopular from what I've seen.

Pink Gold Peach is perfectly fine as a character to me.

ルイージ said:
I thought of another one just now.

Weren't they the ones who said that Mario was communist?

Game Theory is a perfect case study of demonstrating the human's desire to make connections even if they don't actually exist.

Felicia said:
This doesn't seem too unpopular from what I've seen.

It might not be unpopular here but it's pretty unpopular everywhere else. Game Theory has a huge fanbase, and I can't even watch a playthrough of a Mario game on Twitch without at least one person citing their 'irrefutable evidence' in the chat. I don't mind that people like Game Theory, but it gets annoying when people say that MatPat speaks the absolute canon when his theories are wrong.

I've always viewed Game Theory/MatPat as just doing the stuff he does purely for entertainment, Mat simply think it's fun to make these crazy theroies and use in-game knowledge to support it.

It's the insane fans that treat it like it's the gospel for everything video games are really the most bad thing about all of it. It's cool if someone likes to view some of Mat's theories as true, but they shouldn't spread it as like it's fact. Especially ones that might be derogatory to a character like the "Mario is a sociopath" one. Alot of people love Mario, no one should start flaming people who like Mario as a character when their only basis that a theory from MatPat said he's as evil as that theory says he is.

Well Mario being evil existed long before he did.

I dislike his voice theories but whatever I just correct people on them whenever I hear it.

well , i'd praise Matpat for actually trying to do some legit research and come out with decent conclusions even if they are only for entertainment purposes.

Seeing his videos just for the sake of entertainment and fun , means that you clearly don't take the internet seriously , which is how all the people should be in my opinion.

Northern Verve said:
no one should start flaming people who like Mario as a character when their only basis that a theory from MatPat said he's as evil as that theory says he is.
That actually happened? A direct attack?

Game "Theory" should be treated as entertainment purposes, but it's pretty much drivel. I've seen other fan "theories" before, especially the one about Super Mario Bros. 2, where characters' abilities are actually a reflection on Mario's views on them. Mario's an ordinary guy with no special traits, yet Peach can fly (flying is associated with freedom), Toad is the strongest and fastest even though he's small and weak-looking, and Luigi can jump really high and even surpass Mario. If you interpret it like that, it seems that Mario really counts on his friends.

Northern Verve said:
I've always viewed Game Theory/MatPat as just doing the stuff he does purely for entertainment, Mat simply think it's fun to make these crazy theroies and use in-game knowledge to support it.

It's the insane fans that treat it like it's the gospel for everything video games are really the most bad thing about all of it. It's cool if someone likes to view some of Mat's theories as true, but they shouldn't spread it as like it's fact. Especially ones that might be derogatory to a character like the "Mario is a sociopath" one. Alot of people love Mario, no one should start flaming people who like Mario as a character when their only basis that a theory from MatPat said he's as evil as that theory says he is.
That's absolutely my point. I don't mind Game Theory, as I said - in fact, I will concede that his videos are really entertaining, and he has some nice diction and a great way of capturing the attention of an audience. The quality of his videos is uncontested; however, many of his theories have holes, and a lot of times over none he states his opinions rather definitively. I mean, I suppose go long or go home, but I'm not the only one to have noticed that his fact-assertion might be a reason why people so easily follow him.

well , i'd praise Matpat for actually trying to do some legit research and come out with decent conclusions even if they are only for entertainment purposes.

Seeing his videos just for the sake of entertainment and fun , means that you clearly don't take the internet seriously , which is how all the people should be in my opinion.
The problem is that a lot of his research is cherry-picking and outright ignoring any pieces of evidence that disagree with his thesis. If I could provide an example, he states that Mario is abusive to Luigi, while conveniently glossing over all of the Mario & Luigi RPG games, which are all extremely important if you need to determine how Mario behaves around Luigi under normal settings. In fact, it's far more likely, given Mario's behavior in those other games, that Mario is simply a sore loser in sports games, or that it's typical brotherly ribbing. This is pretty inconsistent with him, too, as he'll bring them up in his Mario timeline thesis instead, so it's not as if he doesn't know of their existence.

For a lot of people, though, picking apart his theories is fun. I like engaging in debates and discussing headcanons and ideas like that. Some of his ideas are pretty interesting, even if false, such as Rosalina being related to Princess Peach, and I wouldn't mind seeing writings of fanfiction or the like depicting them. Really, the issue is that people can be so adamantly stuck in these ideas that they'll outright say untrue things to people that can, and has, bordered on harassment in some circles. This isn't just a problem with Mario, either. Any influential figure within a fandom tends to influence the fandom to believe things that aren't true.

MatPat, at the end of the day, is an entertainer. Often, people forget that he is not perfect, nor does he work for Nintendo.

I haven't personally seen anyone attacking Mario but I have frequented the Undertale fandom and seen something very similar to that before, although in the exact opposite direction (sympathizing with a character that is generally pointed as antagonistic within the game's narrative).

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if people have actually harassed others in regard to headcanons revolving Mario. I've seen it way too many times in other places.

Game "Theory" should be treated as entertainment purposes, but it's pretty much drivel. I've seen other fan "theories" before, especially the one about Super Mario Bros. 2, where characters' abilities are actually a reflection on Mario's views on them. Mario's an ordinary guy with no special traits, yet Peach can fly (flying is associated with freedom), Toad is the strongest and fastest even though he's small and weak-looking, and Luigi can jump really high and even surpass Mario. If you interpret it like that, it seems that Mario really counts on his friends.
There are a lot of intriguing fan theories out there that get overshadowed by Game Theory, and it's rather unfortunate. I have to actually dig to find them sometimes. I've also noticed that rebuttal videos to any of his theories wind up getting lots of Dislikes on YouTube, no matter how logical they may be, which of course makes it harder for those videos to be found.

I've always been the kind of person to encourage free thought and expression of that free thought, even if there may be contradictory evidence (see: my post in the Mario headcanons thread, where even though my own headcanon has some contradictory ideas, I still think it's a pretty neat thing to think about). That, however, is not the same thing as endorsing someone heralding their opinion as fact above everyone else. You shouldn't claim something is canon when it isn't. Unfortunately, misinformation spreads easily on the internet, and especially with big name channels like Game Theory, it results in a sort of hive mind. It doesn't help that Game Theory doesn't seem to make any effort in encouraging free discussion of his theories, since he never responds to them.

I say that my opinion posted earlier in regard to Game Theory is unpopular because honestly, his stuff is everywhere. It's actually strange being on a forum like this where nobody agrees with him.

Striker Mario said:
Northern Verve said:
no one should start flaming people who like Mario as a character when their only basis that a theory from MatPat said he's as evil as that theory says he is.

Not saying it actually happened, but it is something someone who takes Game Theory way too seriously could possibly do if they take the Mario is a Sociopath series as fact.

Warioware ruined Wario

ルイージ said:
The problem is that a lot of his research is cherry-picking and outright ignoring any pieces of evidence that disagree with his thesis. If I could provide an example, he states that Mario is abusive to Luigi, while conveniently glossing over all of the Mario & Luigi RPG games, which are all extremely important if you need to determine how Mario behaves around Luigi under normal settings. In fact, it's far more likely, given Mario's behavior in those other games, that Mario is simply a sore loser in sports games, or that it's typical brotherly ribbing. This is pretty inconsistent with him, too, as he'll bring them up in his Mario timeline thesis instead, so it's not as if he doesn't know of their existence.
I think to come to conclusion that Mario is abusive to Luigi you have to disregard much more than Mario & Luigi games, and you'll have to make a lot of more assumptions, malicious ones, about Mario's intent when he's with Luigi. There's also the Super Mario-Kun, the KC Deluxe Mario manga, and the Mario cartoons which all contradict this "abusive" notion. Mario does not engage in any sort of abuse to Luigi because it would've shown on Luigi as well, which may include that he's scared of Mario, he has depressingly low self-confidence (he has low self-confidence, but he still musters courage to rescue Mario). Also, for Mario to really qualify as abusive, he should control what Luigi does, harshly criticize Luigi, frequently guilt-trip Luigi, and several other actions that, well, would characterize abusers. You'd also have to disregard those aspects of abuse as well as cherry-picking any possible incidents of abuse. Mario might be a little mean in Mario Power Tennis when Luigi gets a trophy, but Mario could be teasing or is really jealous or even both. But that's not really abuse. That's what siblings do to each other sometimes, but sometimes in the form of over-the-top cartoon slapstick.

Northern Verve said:
Striker Mario said:
Northern Verve said:

Not saying it actually happened, but it is something someone who takes Game Theory way too seriously could possibly do if they take the Mario is a Sociopath series as fact.
Well, I'd hate to be on the receiving end on a flame because of my tastes in characters.

Mcmadness said:
Warioware ruined Wario
I don't think it's WarioWare's fault that Nintendo ignores Wario Land.

Striker Mario said:
I think to come to conclusion that Mario is abusive to Luigi you have to disregard much more than Mario & Luigi games, and you'll have to make a lot of more assumptions, malicious ones, about Mario's intent when he's with Luigi. There's also the Super Mario-Kun, the KC Deluxe Mario manga, and the Mario cartoons which all contradict this "abusive" notion. Mario does not engage in any sort of abuse to Luigi because it would've shown on Luigi as well, which may include that he's scared of Mario, he has depressingly low self-confidence (he has low self-confidence, but he still musters courage to rescue Mario). Also, for Mario to really qualify as abusive, he should control what Luigi does, harshly criticize Luigi, frequently guilt-trip Luigi, and several other actions that, well, would characterize abusers. You'd also have to disregard those aspects of abuse as well as cherry-picking any possible incidents of abuse. Mario might be a little mean in Mario Power Tennis when Luigi gets a trophy, but Mario could be teasing or is really jealous or even both. But that's not really abuse. That's what siblings do to each other sometimes, but sometimes in the form of over-the-top cartoon slapstick.

Oh yeah, I mean, I never thought that he was abusive even before the Mario & Luigi RPG series were games that I played, but they just re-established what I already knew. I've seen videos saying that it's this stunning revelation that Luigi puts up with being Player 2 or what have you because he loves Mario so much, but honestly I always suspected as much. It's not as if he hadn't been shown really looking up to and admiring his brother before.

It's not even just that Luigi is self-confident enough to not be an abuse victim; it's the fact that Luigi feels most comfortable around Mario. Generally it's been shown in the Mario & Luigi RPG series primarily, but probably main series titles as well (I think Super Princess Peach, probably) that Luigi tends to be a lot more confident when his brother is around. That isn't normally the case with abuse victims. Usually they're nervous and working hard to please whoever it is who is abusing them. Of course they can be admiring their abuser, but in Luigi's case it seems like Mario is pretty protective and compassionate toward him and he's described as such.

I could go on and on about this but at this point I would just be dissecting Luigi's character and this really isn't the right thread for it lol but I'm always open to talking about how much Mario affects Luigi and how important he is to him. Just perhaps not this thread.

Striker Mario said:
I don't think it's WarioWare's fault that Nintendo ignores Wario Land.

No but it didn't help.

Back