Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

holy shit
it's not that recognizable but if you set it to half speed it becomes so much more obvious
how did i miss that

Orchestra is a tad overrated

Disco, jazz, funk, and metal all suit Mario much more.

Mcmadness said:
Marie said:
when did they remix it in mario kart?

Super circuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6nBjM2sFrw

though it sounds radically different
I never realized that, but I see it now. It makes sense, considering they used a (much more recognizable) version of the Super Mario World finall boss theme in the Super Mario Kart Bowser Castle tracks. And yeah, a new remix of it would be great.

Baby Luigi said:
Orchestra is a tad overrated
I agree. And another unpopular opinion, speaking of, is that Galaxy's gameplay is better than its soundtrack.

That's unpopular? I think its soundtrack is MILES better than its gameplay.

And Galaxy doesn't even have the best Mario OST. That belongs to Mario & Sonic. If you want a pure Mario game reasons, Mario Kart 8 has it better. Why, in my opinion? It has far more variety to it: electronic (Electrodrome), jazz (Dolphin Shoals), country (Moo Moo Meadows), Rock/Metal (Big Blue, or Bowser's Castle), dance/disco (Cheese Land), AND orchestra (Cloudtop Cruise, Mario Kart Stadium).

Mcmadness said:
Bowser needs less big orchestral themes and more rock and/or heavy metal themes.
I personally want to see more jazzy Bowser themes like in 3D World.

New opinion: I think the Paper Mario style was really ugly before Sticker Star. Even then, the main characters are still ugly.

And before someone brings up Buzzy Beetles, Paper Mario stole credit from Para-Beetles.

Baby Luigi said:

And Galaxy doesn't even have the best Mario OST. That belongs to Mario & Sonic. If you want a pure Mario game reasons, Mario Kart 8 has it better. Why, in my opinion? It has far more variety to it: electronic (Electrodrome), jazz (Dolphin Shoals), country (Moo Moo Meadows), Rock/Metal (Big Blue, or Bowser's Castle), dance/disco (Cheese Land), AND orchestra (Cloudtop Cruise, Mario Kart Stadium).
I preferred Mario Kart Wii's soundtrack, to be honest. I think 8 is the best game OVERALL, though.

Discord said:
Baby Luigi said:

I preferred Mario Kart Wii's soundtrack, to be honest. I think 8 is the best game OVERALL, though.
I'm gonna have to agree with BLOF. MK8's soundtrack is some of the best in the series.

Megadardery said:
Super Mario RPG is not a good game.. At least not as good as any other Mario RPG.

The Mario rpgs (much as I love em) don't hold a candle to other games in the genre.

I always felt like nobody would give much of a shit about em if they didn't have Mario.

I'll admit I wouldn't care about Partners in Time if the Baby Bros. didn't play a major role in it

Baby Luigi said:
I'll admit I wouldn't care about Partners in Time if the Baby Bros. didn't play a major role in it
Per, the game just isn't as fun as Bowser's Inside Story or Dream Team.

Mcmadness said:
Megadardery said:
Super Mario RPG is not a good game.. At least not as good as any other Mario RPG.

The Mario rpgs (much as I love em) don't hold a candle to other games in the genre.

I always felt like nobody would give much of a shit about em if they didn't have Mario.
...Isn't that the point? They're Mario games, and no matter how crazy the new concepts are, they still feel like they fit in with the rest of the Marioverse. If you take away Mario, you've literally taken away every aspect of the games.

Nobody in 1992 would have wanted to play Super Branden Auttenberg Kart.

Or how about a nice game of Louis Read Super Sluggers?

Time Turner, you know your argument is a strawman?

Just imagine what would've happened to Smash Bros. or Mario Kart had they not changed I.P.s to the more-popular brands. You know, Smash Bros. remaining as Japan-only "Dragon King: The Fighting Game" or Super Mario Kart wasn't Mario Kart.

And so your question

Time Turner said:
So... new IP's are absolutely unable to get people's attention?

is just extremely silly and simplistic.

And if you're joking, then I don't get it.

I'm not going to pretend that Smash Bros or Mario Kart or whatever didn't receive a leg-up because of their main characters, but you guys are acting like it's the only thing they have going for them. Smash Bros defined the mascot fighter genre, Mario Kart defined the casual racing genre, and sure, people were drawn to them first because of Mario and whatnot, but that doesn't automatically make them stay (see: Mario Pinball Land, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Hotel Mario): what makes them stay is the gameplay. That's what made Donkey Kong popular in the first place: they were nothing but original characters, and heck, it started off as a Popeye spinoff, but people were drawn to it because of its gameplay.

Mario Party Δ said:
And if you're joking, then I don't get it.
because scarecrows are made of straw

Time Turner said:
I'm not going to pretend that Smash Bros or Mario Kart or whatever didn't receive a leg-up because of their main characters, but you guys are acting like it's the only thing they have going for them. Smash Bros defined the mascot fighter genre, Mario Kart defined the casual racing genre, and sure, people were drawn to them first because of Mario and whatnot, but that doesn't automatically make them stay (see: Mario Pinball Land, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Hotel Mario): what makes them stay is the gameplay. That's what made Donkey Kong popular in the first place: they were nothing but original characters, and heck, it started off as a Popeye spinoff, but people were drawn to it because of its gameplay.

And my point is that even then the Mario rpgs still pale in comparison to other games in the genre. I feel that the only reason they are as played as they are was due to the Mario brand, without that they have very little going for them that other rpgs don't already do.

Mcmadness said:
And my point is that even then the Mario rpgs still pale in comparison to other games in the genre.
In what ways, exactly? Sure, they don't have the drama of the FF games, and subjects such as elemental weaknesses and a million different equipment options aren't tackled, but they still have similar scopes.

They lack any sort of real replay value, for starters. The side-quests are extremely scant in Mario RPGs, and most of them amount to fetch quests. I also like the more complex battle mechanics other RPGs offer.

Back