Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I still cannot get over that I have to battle against Birdo in that game. Which harsh attacks. It still makes me sad...

Princess Rosalina said:
Mcmadness said:
SPM's story sucks.
May you explain your opinion? I don't quite understand why you think the story sucks...
He thinks it's too cliche. Like, the tropes are way too overused and such. Personally I find it interesting for a Mario game, and much prefer it over the even more cliched kidnapping story.

This might not be the best description but think of a trope like a cliché but rather than being something that is used over and over by multiple authors, often totally called for by the audience and is usually quite obvious when a cliché is used, tropes are really just... things in any form of entertainment that just happen to occur in a similar manner in other works. For example, someone getting kidnapped (especially female royalty) as the main plot point is a cliché, while minor things such as a personality trait in a certain character or 'almost' clichés that aren't nearly as overused are tropes.

Toothless said:
Honestly, the whole "too many tropes" thing is ridiculous arguement, because according to TVTropes, there is soooooo many tropes, that it is nearly impossible to create something that does not involve at least 5.

Its not too many tropes thats the issue, its the fact that used very tired cliches and does nothing new with them.

Toothless said:
Pfft, everything is cliché nowadays. Like you eat cereal for breakfast one day and someone goes "Eating cereal for breakfast? That is so cliché"

Past Mario games usually had their own ways of doing the cliches to make them fresh.

SPM does none of that.

Toothless said:
Pfft, everything is cliché nowadays. Like you eat cereal for breakfast one day and someone goes "Eating cereal for breakfast? That is so cliché"
You can turn cliches on their heads or lampshade them.

Maᴙio said:
Toothless said:
You can turn cliches on their heads or lampshade them.
True, although I never really learned what they meant by those phrases, and I don't really care.

Mcmadness said:
Toothless said:

Past Mario games usually had their own ways of doing the cliches to make them fresh.

SPM does none of that.

I entirely agree that Super Paper Mario has too much cliches.

You get Kefka
You get the dumb brute guy
You get the unfortunate tragic love subplot
You get a pretty damn unMario-y cast

I haven't played it but it's based off what I remember what other people said about the game.

My other issue with SPM is that it has NOTHING to do with the actual main characters of the series and instead is about a side character who will never appear again. The main characters are little more than just plot devices to get things moving.

I quite enjoyed having Mario go an adventure that has nothing to do with saving Peach. Think about it, SPM is the only Paper Mario game in which Peach isn't one of the main goals in the game. 64 was just a new twist on the classic story, TTYD had a new villain but Peach was still one of the main reasons Mario was collecting the Crystal Stars. We all know what Sticker Star was.

SPM, maybe at the beginning but freaking Dimentio of all people took care of that very early on, and Peach is actually fully playable rather than waiting for Mario to save her the whole freaking game. I suppose Bowser could have been executed a bit better, but I liked him in the game anyway.

Its not that it ultimately mattered in the end. Its still Mario and co going through 8 worlds to save something. Having Peach playable while alright still didn't change the 8 world formula one expects from a 2D Mario game.

idk how unpopular this is but I really liked the Sling Pod Galaxy

FЯЕ4КШ0ЯГD said:
Baby Luigi said:
You get Kefka

This isn't bad nor is it a clichee.

Also he is the joker so just sayin'

Yes it is, evil killer clowns is an extremely overused cliche and no he is not the Joker, nobody is the Joker except the Joker.

Princess Rosalina said:
Mcmadness said:
evil killer clowns
He's a jester. Evil killer jester.
Wait, has that been overused as well?

Clowns, jesters, pretty much the same thing minus cosmetic differences.

And yes it has.

FЯЕ4КШ0ЯГD said:
Mcmadness said:
Yes it is, evil killer clowns is an extremely overused cliche

mmh okay dont feel like it but that might be because i like that kind of character.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MonsterClown

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainousHarlequin

And these aren't even close to being all of them.

Magikrazy said:
Being a trope doesn't mean it's a cliché.

Tropes aren't automatically cliches; they become them.

Dany Lannister said:
idk how unpopular this is but I really liked the Sling Pod Galaxy

I hated it so it may be unpopular

FЯЕ4КШ0ЯГD said:
Baby Luigi said:
You get Kefka

This isn't bad nor is it a clichee.

Also he is the joker so just sayin'

Depends on your tastes but cliches that do nothing but be a cliche is pretty bad.

Which is why I hate Peach being the damsel in distress. It's basically a cliche of cliches.

Super Mario World is overrated. How come everyone hates the NSMB series yet LOOOVES SMW?

Back