Worst Mario Roster

Gardevoir said:
Im not a fan of the mario kart 64 roster.

That's too old. If Mario Tennis 64 defined most main characters in that time, the game couldn't get enough characters to choose.

Magikrazy said:
Wrecking Crew '98 had more than Mario playable.

Eggplant Man
Koopa Troopa
Gotcha Wrench
Foreman Spike
Onigiri (a ball of rice)
Onnanoko (a girl)
Oyaji (a middle aged man)
Dogu (a clay figure)
I got it by youtube. The game is after Mario Tennis 64, in that time Daisy, Yoshi or Birdo were already there.

It doesn't seem like a conventional game, those original characters or species are opponents from each level, as they intends not to use Bowser as the rivals. But I think there are still many other choices in Mario's series, like King K. Rool or Wart.

NES: Oh, no wonder. Generic human characters infect the roster once again!

Dorayaki said:
Magikrazy said:
Wrecking Crew '98 had more than Mario playable.

Eggplant Man
Koopa Troopa
Gotcha Wrench
Foreman Spike
Onigiri (a ball of rice)
Onnanoko (a girl)
Oyaji (a middle aged man)
Dogu (a clay figure)
I got it by youtube. The game is after Mario Tennis 64, in that time Daisy, Yoshi or Birdo were already there.

It doesn't seem like a conventional game, those original characters or species are opponents from each level, as they intends not to use Bowser as the rivals. But I think there are still many other choices in Mario's series, like King K. Rool or Wart.
First of all, you took out Luigi, Peach, and Bowser from my list.

K. Rool? He's a Donkey Kong villain, not a Mario villain.
Wart? Mario dreamed him.

Magikrazy said:
First of all, you took out Luigi, Peach, and Bowser from my list.
I simply quoted those characters originally made.

Mario4Ever said:
Playable
Steve
Mark
Tony
Billy

^These last four are random human characters.
La Marionette said:
NES: Oh, no wonder. Generic human characters infect the roster once again!

Only if you guys like to take example from Camelot's works. But rather than GBA, it's truly weird they order other main characters to stand aside and just let Mario play with other people.

The staff want to create clubs as the theme of sport games, I have no comment, because Mario members aren't professional athletes. But these characters are not distinctive, useful and recurring in the following games, I don’t know why the were chosen in that time.

Magikrazy said:
Wart? Mario dreamed him.

King K. Rool appeared in Super Sluggers.

You can say Mario dreamed Birdo, Bob-omb, and Shy Guy.

La Marionette said:
Magikrazy said:
Wart? Mario dreamed him.

King K. Rool appeared in Super Sluggers.

You can say Mario dreamed Birdo, Bob-omb, and Shy Guy.
Although they have now appeared in games that are not dreams.

Back on topic again now.

La Marionette said:
Mario Sports Mix has a goodness-gravy awful roster. Staying on topic.
Well at least take out the Square characters and replace it with these:
Brido
Dixie Kong
Koopa Troopa
Rosalina
King Boo
Toadette

That would make it into a 100 times better roster.

New Super Yoshi said:
La Marionette said:
Brido
Dixie Kong
Koopa Troopa
Rosalina
King Boo
Toadette

and King.K.Rool

New Super Yoshi said:
La Marionette said:
Brido
Dixie Kong
Koopa Troopa
Rosalina
King Boo
Toadette

I definitely agree, especially with Toadette being there

Wait, what do you mean by "roster"? As in a selection of playable characters in a spin-off game? Or just the cast of characters in a regular Mario game?

Either way... Mario Kart 7, no question in my book.

Smashgoom202 said:
Wait, what do you mean by "roster"? As in a selection of playable characters in a spin-off game? Or just the cast of characters in a regular Mario game?

Either way... Mario Kart 7, no question in my book.

It's probably a cast of playable characters in any game, as long it's more than four. It doesn't have to be spin-off, but platformers tend not to have rosters.

Anyway, I think Mario Tennis Power Tour is even worse. The only character it had that Mario Kart 7 didn't was Waluigi.

I'll admit, the inclusion of Fly Guy in that game was kind of stupid, but I'm mostly okay with the roster in Mario Power Tennis. I especially like Petey Piranha and Wiggler's inclusion.

Fly Guy seemed logical with Paratroopa.

Smashgoom202 said:
I'll admit, the inclusion of Fly Guy in that game was kind of stupid, but I'm mostly okay with the roster in Mario Power Tennis. I especially like Petey Piranha and Wiggler's inclusion.

I think how they removed Baby Mario, Toad, and Birdo were pretty stupid moves

I agree, although Birdo, not as strongly. Still, I've seen worse rosters.

Yeah, Mario Power Tennis's roster is pretty decent if you ask me. It's just that I find the removal of the characters irritating, especially all the role they get is appearing in the audience or the tournament board just to torment us

I think you're all just taking what you have for granted. How many characters were playable in the first two Mario Kart games? Eight. How many in the first two Mario Party games? Six. How many people complained?

MCD said:
I think you're all just taking what you have for granted. How many characters were playable in the first two Mario Kart games? Eight. How many in the first two Mario Party games? Six. How many people complained?

Those are SNES and N64 titles, so one would expect those rosters to be rather limited.

That's not the point. Some of the rosters that are being called limited have, like, 17 characters.

MCD said:
How many characters were playable in the first two Mario Kart games? Eight. How many in the first two Mario Party games? Six. How many people complained?
That's not the point. Some of the rosters that are being called limited have, like, 17 characters.
In the old time, not only the size of gamefile is small, but there only few Mario recurring characters in that then. We can complain those games which were after Gameboy appeared.

MCD said:

Haven't you heard of greater expectations and more advanced development?

Maybe you set your expectations too high? That's not Nintendo's fault.

MCD said:

Not my expectations, the fans' expectations

But bigger file sizes in more advances consoles = more room and more power. So that's why people want more features added in newer games

Baby Luigi said:
MCD said:

Not my expectations, the fans' expectations

But bigger file sizes in more advances consoles = more room and more power. So that's why people want more features added in newer games

Yes, and that's why people lambast the Mario Sports Mix roster. Mario Sports Mix, a Wii game, has a similar, but significantly smaller roster than Mario Hoops 3-on-3, a DS game. It could be that it has more sports, but I think that's a petty reason.

Back