Playable 3rd Party Characters

Smashgoom202 said:
Me too, or Rush.
I see Rush likely being used for Mega Man's Up B move instead. But I still wouldn't mind regardless.

You know what, I'd prefer Classic over X now. But they are really the only Megamen I want to see playable. (I would add Zero, but he's just appearing in too many fighters now)

I do hope though that alternate costumes will be added in SSB4, allowing Mega Man access to Being any other Mega Man.

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/more-scans-from-castlevania-mirror-of-fate
Since Castlevania has recently been rebooted with Lord of Shadow and the sequel, Mirror of Fate, has just been announced for 3DS, this gives a bit more chance of Castlevania being featured. The game has four playable characters, two of which are Simon and Trevor Belmont. I would love Simon's design to be like Mirror of Fate's and not his classic design in Smash Bros:

Castlevania-Mirror-of-Fate-Scan-8.jpg

And of course, if there are extra costumes like WarioWare and Classic wario, Gabriel (The Belmont featured in Lords of Shadow) Trevor (Or the other two unknown protagonists) would make possible costumes. From the information I can read from the Nintendo Power scans about his abilities, here is the move-set I can see him having:

B: Vampire Killer Whip Horizontal Strike (Whips enemies on the ground near him)
Horizontal B: Axes (Throws trajectory-based axes)
Down B: Burning Oil (Throws/breaks bottles of oil which erupt into flames)
Up B: Vampire Killer Whip Vertical Strike (He strikes his whip diagonally similar to the Pikmin Chain to attack enemies above and grab onto to ledges)
Final Smash: Guardians (Summons Guardian creatures which protect Simon from attacks or attack other enemies on the field)

I could just about stomach Sonic and Snake, and I could just about stomach them again. The only other third-party character inclusion which wouldn't force me to refuse to ever play the game would be Bomberman, any others and I'll refuse to acknowledge it as a Smash Bros. game never mind play it.

Tatanga said:
I could just about stomach Sonic and Snake, and I could just about stomach them again. The only other third-party character inclusion which wouldn't force me to refuse to ever play the game would be Bomberman, any others and I'll refuse to acknowledge it as a Smash Bros. game never mind play it.
There's this thing called "not choosing the hated characters on the selection screen".

Minuette said:
Tatanga said:
There's this thing called "not choosing the hated characters on the selection screen".
That's like saying it's okay if someone walks into your house and writes their name on one of your walls in their own faeces because you can chose to never look at that wall.

Sorry, but Super Smash Bros was created to be a tribute to Nintendo and its vast history and to be a treat for big Nintendo fans who love everything from the most famous to the most obscure about the company, and that's what it should always stay as. Having Snake and Sonic tarnished it slightly, but it was acceptable since they were just there as amusing little novelties. Throw in any more third-party characters and it's no longer a grand tribute to Nintendo, it's just a video game series crossover game. Also having a load of third-party characters would simply be catering for the general video game fan, rather than the hardcore Nintendo fan which the Smash Bros series was created to appeal to. Lastly, there are a limited number of new playable characters that can be introduced, the more third-party characters that are introduced the less Nintendo characters get to be introduced - there's so many Nintendo characters that can and deserve to be in the next Smash Bros game that would put a smile on many an ardent Ninty fan's face, Nintendo have such a rich history that the Smash Bros series has barely scratched the surface yet in terms of playable characters, I want them to take advantage of that rather than just throwing in a bunch of third-party stuff just to appease the majority (rather than the niche that Smash Bros was originally made for).

But here's what you don't realize and misunderstand about Smash Bros. It is indeed supposed to be a tribute to Nintendo. However, third-parties have played a VITAl role in Nintendo's history. They don't tarnish Nintendo's name or are just "amusing little novelties". They are series that even hardcore Nintendo fans such as I even love. Yeah, I can somewhat agree that having like, around ten series of third-parties would be overkill and mainly shift focus away from Nintendo mainly. It is just that that these series have provide many fans with find memories of Nintendo in general and are widely known.

Smash Bros. might have not even gotten as famous if it wasn't for Snake being introduced one E3 afternoon to increase overall hype. You thick this game was just made for hardcore Nintendo fans, and this is true. But saying that third-parties don't count in for Nintendo's history is completely false. This game wasn't made just for you, it was made for Nintendo fans as a whole. If you like only Nintendo franchises, that's fine, but don't get twisted because someone else's favorite series got in because it wasn't made specifically by Nintendo. There's a word I use for that, and it is immature. Characters like Sonic and Snake have just as much of a right to be in a fighter dedicated to Nintendo's history as any other Nintendo series if they can cause so many fans to be happy. Lastly, that's what makes them matter, it makes fans happy while catering to main Nintendo fans at the same time.

So don't get so righteous as if you have to declare how to correctly celebrate Nintendo's history, because you obviously can't. I'm not going to argue anymore because I don't want to derail this subject into even more threads. But please, do us all a favor and get off of your high horse while respecting everyone else's opinions, despite how different your's may be.

Honestly, I think I'm going to have to go with Tatanga on this one. Even if characters like Mega Man and Simon Belmont ARE important parts of Nintendo's history, they're still NOT Nintendo characters.

It's not like Nintendo's running out of possible characters to use. In fact, I would prefer if they dug a little deeper and bring back some REALLY obscure characters from their own, huge library of games, peripherals, etc. then have third party characters overshadow them.

There's also the downside that including third party characters brings, in that people now instantly forget what Super Smash Bros. was about and now cramp all their non-Nintendo character suggestions down everyone's throats... most of them being Sonic the Hedgehog characters. :mad:

Tatanga said:
Minuette said:
Tatanga said:
That's like saying it's okay if someone walks into your house and writes their name on one of your walls in their own faeces because you can chose to never look at that wall.
You're comparing Snake and Sonic to some shit on a wall?

Those are different scenarios! A better comparison would be so:

There's a new TV show that you don't like. Rather than continue to watch it while complaining every time you do, you could just not watch it.

And if you don't like certain characters, just don't play as them!

Otherwise, tough beans! It's not your game! It wasn't made just for you! It was made for all of Nintendo's fans who (I know this may be a big shocker to you) actually like those characters (What? They don't have the same opinions as you?). Go ahead and make your own game if you want a game exactly how you like it, or else just ignore the horrible abominations.

The only problem I have is the accusation that 3rd Party take the spot of what would be Nintendo spots like Tatanga said. Is it Sonic and Snake's fault that any of Brawl's "Forbidden 7" didn't get in the game? I don't think so. Neither Snake or Sonic took a spot away from any characters and neither will any possible 3rd parties like Megaman when SSB4 comes around. Snake was placed in because of Kojima's friendship with Sakurai and it was planned from the very start of development as a result, and while Sonic came much later and did get in because of the fans. There's no proof that a Nintendo character had to be scrapped in order to put Sonic in the game.

Seriously! why do I keep seeing more than one Sonic suggestion? Nintendo doesn't have that kind of money they're not Donald fucking Trump

Moving on from this whole discussion, I think that now I might actually have Dracula (Gabriel Belmont) over Simon Belmont. Now hold on, I am not talking about the villain. I mean the rebooted Lord of Shadows character. In fact, Gabriel's the first Belmont who became Dracula. He's an anti-hero who has to suffer for eternity and is now trying to lose his immortality. I know Simon's likely and stuff, but since Castlevania just got rebooted and Gabriel's going to be the main protagonist in Lord of Shadows 2, so why not? This may seem confusing to some people, but just look up a Lords of Shadow synopsis to understand. It'd be pretty epic as a freaking vampire with supernatural powers in Smash Bros! That's just me though. I'll still be perfectly fine with Simon, or anything to have Castevania represented.

Professor Mario said:
Moving on from this whole discussion, I think that now I might actually have Dracula (Gabriel Belmont) over Simon Belmont.
Uh... no.

First of all, that particular Dracula wasn't even IN a Nintendo game (at least not yet). Second, regardless of how good that actual game was, why pick the new Dracula over the classic Dracula that's actually BEEN in Nintendo games. Third... I don'tthink that'd be the first choice Nintendo would go to for Castlevania characters.

Yeah, it's something you'd like to see, and I don't meant o nip your hopes and dreams in the bud but... Yeah. :-\

Smashgoom202 said:
Professor Mario said:
Moving on from this whole discussion, I think that now I might actually have Dracula (Gabriel Belmont) over Simon Belmont.
Uh... no.

First of all, that particular Dracula wasn't even IN a Nintendo game (at least not yet). Second, regardless of how good that actual game was, why pick the new Dracula over the classic Dracula that's actually BEEN in Nintendo games. Third... I don'tthink that'd be the first choice Nintendo would go to for Castlevania characters.

Yeah, it's something you'd like to see, and I don't meant o nip your hopes and dreams in the bud but... Yeah. :-\
Well, I did say it was just me personally. But to even the odds, at least the character in general has been established over the series, reboot or not. Also, he's the protagonist this time and kind of an anti-hero. Third, he's appearing in Mirror of Fate which is scheduled for 3DS and Lords of Shadow 2, which may come for Wii U. it seems weird and all, but the point is, Dracula's been changed and I think that opens up a bit of a possibility for him. Yes, I know its weird and it's unlikely, but that's just me personally.

Re. Professor

I'm not exactly sure what I've done to not respect anybody else's opinion. I've not said 'you're all wrong and stupid, only I am right!' have I? Or did I make the mistake of not writing 'IN MY OPINION' after every sentence I wrote? I didn't realise that was required on the internet. You on the other hand have thus far have told people to ignore me and that people like myself aren't worth criticising, whatever people like myself may be, you've called me 'immature', you've accused me of being 'righteous', you've told me to get off my high horse and rather slanderously accused me of not respecting other peoples opinion. That's a bit hypocritical isn't it?

Any way, I'll politely address each of the opinions you state with opinions of my own just like two nice gentlemen do when having a debate, with there being absolutely no need for petty insults or declarations that people like me aren't worth criticising. That okay with you? Marvellous. I shall begin:

But here's what you don't realize and misunderstand about Smash Bros. It is indeed supposed to be a tribute to Nintendo. However, third-parties have played a VITAl role in Nintendo's history. They don't tarnish Nintendo's name or are just "amusing little novelties". They are series that even hardcore Nintendo fans such as I even love. Yeah, I can somewhat agree that having like, around ten series of third-parties would be overkill and mainly shift focus away from Nintendo mainly. It is just that that these series have provide many fans with find memories of Nintendo in general and are widely known.
First of all, believe it or not you yourself have misunderstood something, I know it's hard to believe such a wise sage like yourself could do such a thing which is usually only done by people like myself who aren't worth criticising, but pray, let me explain. I didn't say they were tarnishing Nintendo's name, not at all, I believe their inclusion in SSB is tarnishing the purpose of the series which is to celebrate Nintendo's history. IN MY OPINION.

I do believe (i.e. IN MY OPINION) Snake's inclusion was an amusing novelty. You ever heard the story that Kojima 'begged' Sakurai to include Snake in Melee? Well apparently Melee was too late in development for Snake to go in, so Sakurai put him in Brawl instead. I found that story fascinating and it touched my heart, so after shedding a tear I thought to myself, "hey, I can live with Snake being in Brawl, it's a cool novelty him being there considering that story". As for Sonic, well, everyone wanted Sonic, Sonic's cool IN MY OPINION, so after shedding a tear I thought to myself "I can live with Sonic being in Brawl, one more 'guest' character won't hurt, having Sonic as a guest character is a cool little novelty". I hope these humble words explain my 'novelty' point in a clearer light.

Smash Bros. might have not even gotten as famous if it wasn't for Snake being introduced one E3 afternoon to increase overall hype.
I'm putting my life on the line here because you may murder me for this due to you not liking opposing opinions, but I completely disagree with this statement *gasp*. The original Super Smash Bros. was very popular, it was big cult hit. Then Super Smash Bros. Melee came along which was absolutely huge, it was a massive hit, far too big to any longer be considered 'cult', it was one of the most loved games of all time when it came out and still is despite the 'bigger and better' Brawl coming out. It's not just fan opinion either, it has the sales stats to back it up further proving how immense Melee was - it was the Gamecube's best selling game selling 7.09 million copies. Consequently, 'Super Smash Bros. 3' (as it was then known) was one of the most hyped and eagerly anticipated games of all time. One thing Smash Bros didn't need was more fame, it was famous enough already, fame which it garnered itself with Melee, and it 'Brawl' certainly didn't need more hyping. I remember Snake's reveal getting a lot of attention but it was more 'ha ha, that was funny/weird/unexpected' than 'OH MY GOD SNAKE! I MUST BUY THIS MARIO SMASH BROS GAME OR WHATEVER IT'S CALLED'. Snake being there was a funny little novelty, and it still is, not that that's a bad thing.

You thick this game was just made for hardcore Nintendo fans, and this is true. But saying that third-parties don't count in for Nintendo's history is completely false. This game wasn't made just for you, it was made for Nintendo fans as a whole. If you like only Nintendo franchises, that's fine, but don't get twisted because someone else's favorite series got in because it wasn't made specifically by Nintendo. There's a word I use for that, and it is immature. Characters like Sonic and Snake have just as much of a right to be in a fighter dedicated to Nintendo's history as any other Nintendo series if they can cause so many fans to be happy. Lastly, that's what makes them matter, it makes fans happy while catering to main Nintendo fans at the same time.
Are Snake and Sonic really part of Nintendo's history? If Snake's part of anyone's history other than Konami's then it's Sony's. The original Metal Gear was originally made for Sony's MSX computer, and every main series Metal Gear game after that has initially been exclusive to a Sony platform and all unavailable on a Nintendo with the exception of a remake of the first MGS game on the Gamecube and an upcoming remake of MGS3 on the 3DS. The only other Metal Gear on Nintendo platforms is a infamously bad port of the original on the NES and two very minor spin-offs (one of which isn't even canon). It's fair to say pre-Brawl Metal Gear could barely even be regarded as a footnote on Nintendo's history.

Sonic has more a case for being part of Nintendo's history, who could forget the epic 16 bit war? With the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games series maybe he deserves a 'guest' spot.

In my opinion Super Smash Bros. should just be about celebrating Nintendo's history in regards to what Nintendo have created. Yes, other games not made by Nintendo have played a big part in Nintendo's history, but they're still not Nintendo, and IN MY OPINION SSB should just be for Nintendo. It's not immaturity, it's an opinion, you not being able to accept I have an opinion and instead deciding to invalidate and belittle it best you can is immaturity. Is me having an opinion that so hard to accept? Can we just agree to disagree on this matter, you have your view, I have my view, or are you going to insult me again?

So don't get so righteous as if you have to declare how to correctly celebrate Nintendo's history, because you obviously can't. I'm not going to argue anymore because I don't want to derail this subject into even more threads. But please, do us all a favor and get off of your high horse while respecting everyone else's opinions, despite how different your's may be.
We've not got off topic, this thread is about third party characters being playable, and we're discussing third party characters being playable. Or is your little 'I'm not going to argue with you any more, you're not worth it!' act another attempt to devalue my view? I'd be very happy for us to continue this discuss privately, as long as you act like a gentleman :posh: and not a temperamental little child.

Please, can we just let this end? I'll admit, I'm sorry for claiming you were forcing your opinion. However, you are accusing me of insulting and I haven't done that at all. I was merely stating that I feel you're acting as if its a bad thing and accusing third-parties of being all bad and stuff. If I got the wrong impression, I am sorry. I feel that I over-exaggerated when I said that they were essential to Smash Bros. However, I just feel you're basically, well, spreading your dislike towards them out of just your opinion, but fact. You keep on talking about how insignificant they are, when they do make the fans happy. But you know what, I will take you up to that offer to agree to disagree. But please, don't go labeling me as a child or saying curses at me like in your first post, because I personally find that immature and you're just outright insulting me instead of sticking to the argument. I'll apologize on my behalf for accusing you of being intolerant and rude, but I would appreciate you admitting it got out of hand with lowering my morale putting me on a lower level as you as well.

Also, this did get out of topic. Our argument delayed any ideas going forward, and instead just kept filling up the pages. That's mainly why I want to stop. And please, arguing over private messages is the last thing I want to do because despite how it looks, I don't like arguments in general.

Tatanga said:
Or did I make the mistake of not writing 'IN MY OPINION' after every sentence I wrote? I didn't realise that was required on the internet.
Well... it is. Or at the very least, you better say that, lest you endure of shitstorm from people don't realize the difference.

Kind of annoying, but I'd rather do that then constantly having to justify myself... which is what I have to do anyway. It's like some kind of Satanic judo.

supermariofan said:
I think Simon is the character that might make it in because he's main character of the damn franchise
But not in the reboot. Gabriel Belmont/Dracula is. Besides, he was only the main character of a few games, not the whole series. it's rotated among different Belmonts.

Professor Mario said:
supermariofan said:
I think Simon is the character that might make it in because he's main character of the damn franchise
But not in the reboot. Gabriel Belmont/Dracula is. Besides, he was only the main character of a few games, not the whole series. it's rotated among different Belmonts.
...dafuq? That's almost exactly what I said! :eek:

Back