Frozen (Disney's The Snow Queen adaption)

Thrawn said:
Morty said:
Frozen was really great because of the morals it teaches, the emotions it conveys through direct expressions, the symbolism throughout the theme that hit home in a way I could never put into words myself, its breaking of fairytale clichés, but most importantly gratuitous ice magic.
you see guys?

anton understands

well to be fair ice magic is pretty awesome.

Not as awesome as lightning magic, but still awesome.

Anser said:
I have to say that I liked the movie because it has a good story, it was excellently animated and the voice acting was on point. The bad thing is that...

I HATE MUSICALS WITH A BURNING PASSION.

If I had known that they were going to sing through all the f****** movie I wouldn't even have entered the room to watch it.

Why even spoiler that, you went to a disney princess movie not expecting musical numbers, I don't even know what to say

Morty said:
Anser said:
I have to say that I liked the movie because it has a good story, it was excellently animated and the voice acting was on point. The bad thing is that...

If I had known that they were going to sing through all the f****** movie I wouldn't even have entered the room to watch it.

Why even spoiler that, you went to a disney princess movie not expecting musical numbers, I don't even know what to say
Just because it had lots of songs doesn't make it a musical...

And even so songs just make it better :P

I think he's one of the people who thought the movie would be all about the misadventures of Olaf.

man if there is one thing id like to see more often in animated movies it would be musical moments, probably the main reason why i liked lion king so much was because of the musical segments.

Princess Zae said:
man if there is one thing id like to see more often in animated movies it would be musical moments, probably the main reason why i liked lion king so much was because of the musical segments.
omg I love the lion king <3 great music too.

Also unrelated, but Frozen has become the first movie I've gone back again to see at the theater. I made my mom see it. And she liked Olaf.

Considering the promotional materials were largely misleading, yeah.

Morty said:
Anser said:

I agree with him on principle; every time I watch some sort of musical I really like a few songs and think the rest are completely unnecessary (that one the trolls sing being a prime example). The only songs I really enjoyed were "Let It Go" and "Frozen Heart" (that's the one at the beginning, right?). "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" was good, but I just didn't really like it so much for some reason. Probably because Anna.

But this movie didn't really have that many musical numbers, so I don't really understand what he means by singing through the whole movie. That would be Les Miserables.

Meh, I don't mind musicals as long as the singing and animation is good.

Which Frozen did well on both parts.

Thrawn said:
Morty said:
Anser said:

I agree with him on principle; every time I watch some sort of musical I really like a few songs and think the rest are completely unnecessary (that one the trolls sing being a prime example). The only songs I really enjoyed were "Let It Go" and "Frozen Heart" (that's the one at the beginning, right?). "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" was good, but I just didn't really like it so much for some reason. Probably because Anna.

But this movie didn't really have that many musical numbers, so I don't really understand what he means by singing through the whole movie. That would be Les Miserables.

Javelin it's not even about that. It's gr8 that you and him both don't like musicals but that's totally not the point at all and wasn't even the intention of his post to state. From what I could tell using my amazing reading comprehension skills that I learned back in 4th grade was that he was unaware that the movie would even have singing in it at all.

In addition your hatred of Anna confuses me because you're moaning about how she's not 1000% perfect as a character and totally flawless in every way. As a writer I'd have figured that you would understand the basic concept that any decent character will have some flaws to them, and her flaws helped progress the story. What I meant in my first post with "the symbolism throughout the theme that hit home in a way I could never put into words myself, its breaking of fairytale clichés" was that, to me, it felt like the story described depression, or at the very least my own that I've been coping with, in a way that I could never verbalize.
Elsa had to keep her emotions and powers bottled up inside of her and shut out anyone close to her to prevent them and herself from getting hurt. Anna didn't know that because she wasn't told / had her memory of it erased. After having been separated from her sister for idk maybe 10 years, on their first day of being back together Anna was afraid she'd lose her sister again and had no idea why. She wanted to know; she wanted to help; she wanted her sister back and could tell that Elsa was in pain. That emotional stress caused Elsa to freak out, revealing her powers, and then she ran off again to have more space since that's what she thought was best (one of the main connections I saw with how depression works). Anna went to go find her and let her know that she doesn't hate her for having the powers and doesn't think she's a monster like other people do. She wanted to let her sister know that she loves her. Meanwhile, Elsa was elated that she was free from the stress of having to hide her true self and loved being free even though it meant being alone. She thought she was away from people and assumed that it kept them safe and herself safe; win-win. While Anna tried to convince her that things were ok and she was loved and all that good stuff, she revealed that her ice powers actually have affected people even when she didn't think they did and that upset Elsa greatly. It wasn't Anna purposely picking at Elsa. That's how depression is, and the following scene is what can happen--Anna's efforts to help ended up in Elsa hurting her. Sure it was physically with shooting ice shit into her heart and whatever, but it easily could've been her words too. An icy heart is pretty heavy-handed symbolism, and having Anna slowly turn to ice because of Elsa's problems is a reflection of friends trying to help someone suffering depression but starting to give up when it appears no ground has been made. But Elsa didn't know she physically hurt Anna or anything like that. Once Elsa found out it completely devastated her and it was the first time she actually got herself in check. It was a moment of physical weakness for her that Hans was going to exploit to completely take her down, but in Elsa's greatest time of need, Anna sacrificed herself despite her essentially dying because of what Elsa had done. That's the act of true love. It had to be an act, not just words. You said "She doesn't ever actually convince Elsa to come back and melt the ice" but she totally did. Not with words but with her actions. She could say that she loved her sister all she wanted but it went in and out of Elsa's head. It had to be shown.

Also totally didn't mean to go on that long and I kinda really hope it doesn't go on longer, I just wanted to have you think that maybe the story isn't as black-and-white as you seem to be watching it as. Finding deeper meanings can bring everything into complete sense and I hope that maybe that helps somewhat.

i don't really hate anna; i just would have rather had a protagonist i could relate to, i guess. anna was just too cheery for me.

and that's probably why i don't really like "do you want to build a snowman" that much, because it just (to me) shows how childish anna is. yes, it's cute and all, and the person who sings young anna is absolutely wonderful. idk it just didn't resound with me like "let it go"

also jeez people i didn't realize you all loved anna so much. my opinion's just my opinion, don't let it bother you so much. if you like anna, that's fine with me. she's just not the kind of character i enjoy

Thrawn said:
i don't really hate anna; i just would have rather had a protagonist i could relate to, i guess. anna was just too cheery for me.

and that's probably why i don't really like "do you want to build a snowman" that much, because it just (to me) shows how childish anna is. yes, it's cute and all, and the person who sings young anna is absolutely wonderful. idk it just didn't resound with me like "let it go"

also jeez people i didn't realize you all loved anna so much. my opinion's just my opinion, don't let it bother you so much. if you like anna, that's fine with me. she's just not the kind of character i enjoy
well yeah, "do you want to build a snowman" is childish because anna is a child for most of the song. that's not really anything to complain about. but at the end of the song she's in tears because her sister has been ignoring her and well that's just really sad, not childish.

it's not really that you don't like anna that i have a problem with, it's your reasons for not liking her. you said before that anna basically didn't accomplish anything in the movie and that's not true at all and is really downplaying everything she's done. i really agree with everything anton said, and if you don't like anna, that's fine, but don't say that she didn't do anything

Felt like sharing these two articles!

This first one goes into how Elsa
was originally supposed to be a villain
:

http://thoughtsonliberty.com/how-disney-nearly-ruined-frozen

Apparently, the song "Let It Go" was sup positive and uplifting that the producers wanted the script to be changed so that she isn't the villain! It's interesting because while Elsa clearly isn't a bad person in the movie, the movie does teeter a bit on whether or not she'll become a full-blown Disney Villain in the end... Again, I find that part of the appeal!

This second one lists 7 reasons why Frozen is the most progressive Disney movie in recent years:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/79455/7-moments-that-made-frozen-the-most-progressive-disney-movie-ever

My thoughts:

1.) Huh... didn't really think of her parents as abusive, I just saw it as her parents wanting to protect their children, and they thought this was the best way to do so. Then again, it DOES lead to more harm then good. I think this goes under unintentional abuse, to the point where Elsa doesn't really blame her parents for it. After all, no one really seemed to understand the extend of her powers... Except maybe the trolls. Say maybe they could have helped her out? Eh, thisis nitpicking.

2.) Admittedly, the "loner" in Disney movies are usually characters who have to be shown that their loneliness is a bad thing and need to be told the importance of being with others... Here, though Elsa seems happier alone (albeit really sad to be parted from her sister), not to mention she can create snow companions! I also just realized, Disney movies have a tendency to have main characters who are quirky and oddballs, not to the extent that Dreamworks has with their protagonists, but still, basically characters who have certain flaws to them... admittedly, these are almost never the center of attention, and even then, they're designed to be marketably appealing... Still, a lot of them are alienated for who they are, so I don't know how much Frozen does things more "progressively" in that regard.

3.) Again, Disney Princesses started being oddballs at least as early as Ariel. Belle was also something of an outcast, being more of an intellectual reader then what was expected of her by the townspeople. So Anna's cluztiness and awkwardness wasn't THAT "revolutionary", at least as far as I see it.

4.) They kind of have a point with this one, although when they say "He is not a competitor, a doormat or a fool", I wanted to add "or solely a love interest", because that describes a LOT of male leads where female characters are protagonists. Though I don't know if this is anything TRULY new, I think the Beast and Aladdin have just as much going for them as the female leads in their movies, though in the case of Aladdin, he IS the main character of his movie.

5.) ...Really? I kind of just assumed that the family int he sauna was a completely different family not related to Oaken. Then again, they DID do his "Hoo hoo!" handwave, so maybe they ARE related! ...This begs the question of how they managed to have children... :-X

6.) I didn't think of this, but I DID think of how awesome it is that now there's a Disney QUEEN that ISN'T a villain! Thank goodness! And also thank goodness for...

7.) This. ALL of this! Like, seriously, I feel like this was what Enchanted and Brave were TRYING to get at but failed... in the case of Enchanted, though, it's because they're mocking Disney cliches while inadvertently following through on them. Yeah, the prince and the girl (I forget her name, sorry) immediately want to get married, but she and the real world guy get together after knowing each other after, what, a few days? That's not that much better. Really, the best thing Frozen did was NOT have Anna and Kristoff get married at the end. Take it slow and steady, don't rush into these things!

Yeah, I think Elsa is better off as a protagonist too.

Oh my god one bad ice themed movie and one good ice themed movie meet

Smashgoom202 said:
2.) Admittedly, the "loner" in Disney movies are usually characters who have to be shown that their loneliness is a bad thing and need to be told the importance of being with others... Here, though Elsa seems happier alone (albeit really sad to be parted from her sister), not to mention she can create snow companions! I also just realized, Disney movies have a tendency to have main characters who are quirky and oddballs, not to the extent that Dreamworks has with their protagonists, but still, basically characters who have certain flaws to them... admittedly, these are almost never the center of attention, and even then, they're designed to be marketably appealing... Still, a lot of them are alienated for who they are, so I don't know how much Frozen does things more "progressively" in that regard.
Yeah, I also got the impression that Elsa was happier on her own too. Where she's finally free to do whatever she wants.
Elsa said:
well yeah, "do you want to build a snowman" is childish because anna is a child for most of the song. that's not really anything to complain about. but at the end of the song she's in tears because her sister has been ignoring her and well that's just really sad, not childish.
i get that, and i thought it was a sad song too. idk i just didn't like it for some reason
Elsa said:
it's not really that you don't like anna that i have a problem with, it's your reasons for not liking her. you said before that anna basically didn't accomplish anything in the movie and that's not true at all and is really downplaying everything she's done. i really agree with everything anton said, and if you don't like anna, that's fine, but don't say that she didn't do anything
no, i still don't see that she did much except at the end. because i see the story a totally different way from you do.

i feel like we could argue about this forever, because the definition of "accomplishment" is totally different for you than it is for me

Back