Frozen (Disney's The Snow Queen adaption)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
As you may or may not know, After Bob Igor replaced Michael Eisner as CEO of Disney, the then shut down Walt Disney Animation Studios, a studio that had made all the timeless and classic 2D Disney movies that wer all grew up with, was re-opened, with the promise of releasing a new 2D movie at least once every 2 years. The first one, of course, was The Princess and the Frog. This past year had a new Winnie the Pooh movie, and, in the year 2013, Disney is going to release another movie based on a Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale called "The Snow Queen".

...Except the movie is not going to be called The Snow Queen. It's going to be called Frozen. Strange thing is, it was originally thought to be the name of Pixar's Dinosaur movie that they're making, but nope, it's this movie.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Frozen-Title-Disney-Snow-Queen-Movie-Pixar-Dinosaur-Project-28499.html

Now I love that Disney hasn't abandoned their 2D animation division completely, and that they're keeping the proud tradition of basing their movies on classic stories and fairy tales. But "Frozen"? Seriously? It's Tangled all over again! Why not just call it The Snow Queen! A title like that is going to make me want to see a movie LESS! It's stupid, and obviously nothing but a stupid marketing gimmick to bring in families that are too absorbed by the Dreamworks movies to realize a truly wholesome exprience when they see it!

Sorry for that small rant, but really, when you look at Tangled posters, trailers, and the like, they all look a lot like what you'd see from a Dreamworks-like movie, but the movie itself is no different than any other Disney princess movie... I guess they were disappointed about the turnout from The Princess and the Frog, and figured that the best way to go is to try marketing to a different kind of audience other than the princess-lovers. Which makes sense, but leave the name alone, for God's sake!

Anyway... Here's hoping that (despite the name) we'll get another Disney classic out of this.

The reason they changed the name of Tangled is because when The Princess and the Frog came out, a lot of people didn't want to watxh it as soon as they saw the name. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

And just so I know, what's the basic story of The Snow Queen?

Not sure... I've been meaning to read up on it. But, the original story was written by Hans Christian Andersen, and knowing the original versions of The Little Mermaid, The Steadfast Tin Soldier, and The Little Matchgirl, it's safe to assume that Disney will take away the darker (and sadder) tones of the story, make certain side characters the "animal comic relief", and attatch a happy ending to it all.

I DO know there's this troll (called the Devil himself) that has a mirror that distorts images and shows the worst qualities of a person reflected in it, and there's a Snow Queen, and a young boy said to be prince of the land...

It all sounds very interesting.

Kristen Bell cast as the lead in this movie:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kristen-bell-some-girls-frozen-disney-neil-labute-296847

I'm definitely watching this. Disney movies have started getting great again since The Princess and the Frog and I just love all of these new movie ideas that are coming out. Hopefully this could make a good KH world *Puts up flame shield*.

Professor Mario said:
I'm definitely watching this. Disney movies have started getting great again since The Princess and the Frog and I just love all of these new movie ideas that are coming out. Hopefully this could make a good KH world *Puts up flame shield*.
I fail to see how that comment would ignite any sort of flame war. I mean, sure, we haven't actually SEEN stuff from the movie, so we can't even tell if it would make a good KH world, but hey, I'd be willing to see it. They shoehorn in a lot of stuff from Disney into those games. I remember seeing Chicken Little in Kingdom Hearts 2.

A supposed image from Frozen:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+TeaserTrailer/albums/5890605229849837841/5890605237168227122?pid=5890605237168227122&oid=103031541978615271240

Frozen-movie+%25284%2529.jpg

It's a shame they aren't making 2D movies anymore.

Honestly, I'm not as excited as I would have been. Disney movies, especially Disney Princess movies are just really...safe. I mean, ever since The Princess and the Frog didn't sell as much, Disney has decided to make their stuff as safe as possible. Tangled was just too safe, it didn't take any risks in its characters, its stories, everything.

I feel like the twist on the classic Rapunzel story in Tangled was well-done, in the same sense that the modifications to the Beauty and the Beast story was well-done in the Disney adaption of that.

I also feel like Wreck-It Ralph, which didn't follow the Disney formula at all, or at least not that much, was really well done and one of Disney's best movies in years!

Edit: Official teaser!

God dammit, I hate it when movies treat ALL animals like dogs. Why even, the joke would have been just as funny if the reindeer or whatever just acted like a reindeer and went after the carrot nose without being all dog-like!

Aside from that, this was... cute. I actually like the little snowman guy (I'm told his name is Olaf, but I'm not sure). I'm actually more excited to see Disney movies then I was a few years back, and surprisingly, I'm more excited about this then I am about Pixar's movie this year... Though honestly that's not saying much (it's a prequel to an okay movie AND it's a college movie, that doesn't build up a lot of excitement for me, sorry).

So... the movie's out... THINK it's been out for at least a week... I intended to go see it last weekend, but now I'll probably see it this weekend with my mother. Also, this review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/8507-Frozen

This is a big of a long video, at seven minutes, though admittedly it has to, given all that Bob discussed in this video. I love me some Disney, and I was going to see this anyway, but now I am SO much more hyped for this then I originally was for it! ...I also kind of liked Tangled, but that also had the bad marketing going for it. Yeah, Disney seems to be going out of its way to making sure ONLY the lowest common denominator sees this movie, which is unfortunately selling the movie (as well as most of their animated movies) short.

might see this if I can convince my mom to take me

also ftr I thought Tangled was awesome (2nd best animated disney movie imo)

Smashgoom202 said:
So... the movie's out... THINK it's been out for at least a week... I intended to go see it last weekend, but now I'll probably see it this weekend with my mother. Also, this review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/8507-Frozen

This is a big of a long video, at seven minutes, though admittedly it has to, given all that Bob discussed in this video. I love me some Disney, and I was going to see this anyway, but now I am SO much more hyped for this then I originally was for it! ...I also kind of liked Tangled, but that also had the bad marketing going for it. Yeah, Disney seems to be going out of its way to making sure ONLY the lowest common denominator sees this movie, which is unfortunately selling the movie (as well as most of their animated movies) short.
it's actually been out two days, but whatever

i'm seeing this later tonight in 3d with my sister and her friends. it seems like it'll be a good movie, so i'm excited

Haven't heard about it? What are people saying?

Hawlucha said:
it was actually good?

the trailer seemed dumb to me
well yeah obviously Disney had to botch up the advertising so that they can appeal to the four year olds or whatever their target audience is

but the actual movie was really deep

ill post more thoughts tomorrow

Alright, some thoughts!

First of all, the film made me cry within the first ten or so minutes. Maybe I was just tired, since not even Professor Layton has made me cry before, but it was all very emotional and saddening, and it really set the stage for the rest of the movie. We also get some nice songs in the beginning, and while I don't think they have the lasting power of Disney's 80s and 90s movies, they help enhance the movie and advance the plot and are definitely enjoyable (they're also written by the songwriter for The Book of Mormon. I didn't know that when I saw the movie, which is ironic since I listened to the soundtrack of that the afternoon before I saw it.) Also from the Book of Mormon is Josh Gad, who portrays the lovable Snowman Olaf in the second act. His comic relief helps keep the movie alive during its weaker parts. Most notable are the plot twists that are pulled off well in the third act, which help the movie break free of some of the cliches that have been plaguing movies for years.

Now for spoilers, and a few more minor complaints.
The one scene I did find unnecessary was "Fixer-Upper". I guess they felt they needed to put another song in the movie, but it really felt arbitrary. Which leads me to another point: we've heard the whole movie that wanting to marry someone you met earlier that day is not "true love", so why is Anna and Kristoff so encouraged? My sister tells me that the movie is really just saying that you shouldn't trust complete strangers, but it still feels wrong to me.

I was incredibly shocked when Anna sacrificed herself to save Elsa, as opposed to having her own life saved by kissing Kristoff, and then finding out that the act of true love needed was one by her sister, not by Kristoff. That's not something you'd ever expect to see in a Disney movie, and I'm glad they're finally breaking free of those stereotypes.

I kind of wish I had gotten to this IMMEDIATELY after seeing this movie, but I waited a few hours, and now I'm not as excited or have the best memory about it as I would have; I don't feel AS motivated to go in-depth about it, though I bet I will regardless...

...That being said, I saw Frozen, and OHMYGOSHTHISMOVIEISAMAZNG!!!!!!!!!!

That is, it really lives up to the hype! Some have said this is the best Disney movie since The Lion King or the "Disney Renaissance", which I don't think is far because there have been quite a lot of good movies since the end of the Disney Renaissance (which ended with Tarzan, by the way), and ESPECIALLY after The Lion King (which I wasn't all that wild about, honestly). That being said, while Wreck-It Ralph may be a personal favorite of mine in recent years, and while I loved the return to traditional animation with The Princess and the Frog, there's just something about this movie, that feels so grand, so refreshing, and really does feel like as close to a perfect Disney movie, or rather a fairy tale Disney-styled movie since Beauty and the Beast. Like, I don't even know where to start with this movie, I feel like I can barely describe what I like about it! Forgive me for not being as critical or analytical with this as I proceed to fanboy-gush about it (though knowing some people, they'll probably find this refreshing... though there will still be a wall of text).

Oh, BTW, I didn't see this movie in 3D... I feel like it might have been all the more epic if I did see it, though.

Well first off, the music is REALLY good! I liked the music from The Princess and the Frog, but somehow it feels like it doesn't hold up as well now... aside from Friends on the Other Side, that one never gets old! And Tangled... eh, I wasn't big on the music in that one. The music in this one felt REALLY good, not only catchy but emotional and totally tied into the story! I think "Let It Go" will be a runaway hit, and perhaps even go down in Disney history as one of the greats! But who's to say, I'm still excited about this movie, so who knows; only time will tell.

I'd LIKE to go over Disney traditions, such as accepting certain magical elements with no explanation, dead parents, etc., but I don't have enough motivation and brain juice at the moment to get into all of that now. I'll just say that I have a LOT to say in this regard!

I LOVE the dynamic between the sisters. I can't really bring myself to go into much detail at the moment, but I like how each one is well-defined, and has personal justifications for their actions. Anna is so cooped up in a castle with an emotionally distant sister that she jumps at the chance to get married, while Elsa really isn't all that bad and definitely doesn't want to hurt anyone, tries to do what she can to not hurt anyone, and ends up being and incredibly tragic figure. The other characters are really good, too. Kristoff was really likable, even if I was taken aback by is relatively grumpy exterior at first, Olaf is surprisingly really funny (and not as pervasive in the movie as the ads and trailers made him out to be) that reindeer wasn't as dog-like as I was expecting and that's always good, the trolls were really funny (and I loved their musical number), Prince Hans... well, I'll save what I think of him in a moment. Other minor characters, like that Duke of Weselton and the owner of the trading post were also good fun to watch!

The look of the movie, even though I didn't see it in 3D, is just AMAZING! I love 2D animation, but good gosh, they really did an excellent job at making this movie look great. Better then Tangled, even! The imagery they did, when it came to creating all those figures of snow and ice, it's all just looks SO good! And that giant snow golem (snowlem?), I love that guy, even though he didn't have much to do.

But now for the thing I REALLY want to talk about: the big twists! Really, it's these twists that put this movie on the map, as far as Disney movies are concerned. One of the twists might not be THAT impressive, and MAYBE I missed something because I ran to the bathroom during a musical number, but it still caught me by surprise! Firstly, Prince Hans. He really is an up-standing guy for dealing with this situation. He's polite, he's considerate, he seems genuinely affectionate about Anna, and he does his best to give Anna a chance and try to talk to Elsa, while keeping the Duke and other nobles who want to kill her at bay. He even saves her life when one of the Duke's men tries to kill her! ...To bad he's evil. Yeah, even though the movie kind of ambiguously sets up Elsa as a possible (tragic) villain in this movie, HE'S the real Disney villain here! He's nothing but a spoiler, heartless bastard who fully intended to marry either Elsa or Anna (Anna was just SO easy for him) then kill one of them off and become the ruler of Arendelle, since he's the youngest of 13/14 brothers, and thus unlikely to inherit the throne of his own kingdom. What's weird was that I was expecting this to go down the Enchanted route, i.e. the prince is a really awesome and decent dude but ends up NOT being Anna's true love, and has to kiss Kristoff to keep herself from freezing over, but instead it when somewhere I TOTALLY wasn't expecting!

And speaking of stuff I wasn't expecting, there's the other twist, the one I think LOADS of people will be talking about for a while in regards to this movie! Just when Kristoff almost meets up with Anna, Prince Hans meets up with Elsa and lies to her, saying Anna is dead, which causes the snow to come to a stand-still, enough for Anna to see Elsa about to be killed by Hans, to which see immediately runs for her, and just then, she becomes completely frozen, knocking Hans back in the process. Elsa cries over the death of her sister, her only family, her last remaining loved one... and just like that, Anna thaws out! See, the only way to restore Anna was to show a sign of true love. They, of course, assume true love's kiss will do the trick, because hey, Disney fairy tale movie, that's what always solves these kinds of things. I was expecting Kristoff to kill Anna's frozen lips, but this, this is actually so much better, because it ties back into the the most important aspect of the move: the relationship between the sisters! Besides, love can be expressed in many ways, and it doesn't have to be THAT kind of love! And what else I appreciated about this is that even though Anna and Kristoff clearly have a thing going on, it doesn't end with them getting married or anything. Oh sure, I'm sure they might tie the knot at some point, but I like how this breaks yet ANOTHER tradition of Disney movies; movies that end with the Disney princess getting married or running off with the prince! And hey, even Olaf got to experience summer, just when I thought there was going to be another sad death of a comedic side character, a la Ray from The Princess and the Frog.

There's only one problem I had, and it's a nitpick. Anna punches Hans in the face, and the other nobles (sans the Duke) laugh at this. Now, sure, Anna sacrificing herself was sad, and seeing Elsa change everything back was good, but to them isn't Hans still a good guy? Sure enough, he gets locked away and sent back to his kingdom, but by that point, they clearly had found out what his true intentions were. When Anna punches him, they hadn't yet... Ah well, it's an incredible minor nitpick, and one I'm sure a lot of people didn't notice; I just felt like sharing it here.

...Oh, and the animated short that came before this: Mickey Mouse in Get a Horse!... My God, I have never laughed so much and been so impressed with a Disney short... Like the main movie itself, I don't even know where to start: classic black and white Mickey and friends (and Pete), doing EXACTLY the kind of cartoony antics they'd do back in those days, Mickey working with Horace Horsecollar instead of having Donald and Goofy with him (it's a refreshing change of pace, AND Horace was Mickey's original co-start/best pal), the jokes the come up with when it came to
using the movie screen, seeing the same classic cartoony antics done in 3D... or rather CG, because like I said, I didn't see this in 3D. OH, and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit makes a cameo. Several, in fact, if I recall correctly! Anyone else see him?

I'm not kidding, this is seriously one of the best Disney experiences I've ever had, I am dead serious about that. I've had some good Disney experiences be for, but this... boy, I could barely stay in my seat, I was just so excited throughout this!

Back