Abortion: Your Stand

Is abortion the killing of another life?

• Total voters
We're not really judging I don't think. I thought were just writing where we stand on the matter, like the title says. I was atleast.

Abortion is like killing another person based on my views, I'm one of those Pro Life people.

Women are more important than faetuses. This always comes down to people thinking they have the right to control the bodies of women. I'm not speaking of trans/nb/intersex people because I doubt anyone with these attitudes even have the mental capacity to understand they exist as well

There isn't a single pro life person who is actually pro "life." If they were they'd
a) give a shit about the life and agency of the person carrying
and b) giving support to the parent and child after birth.
They're pro birth, not life.

suddenly this popped up in the lastest section for off topic ... dear jesus-

This is one of those controversial topics ... but honestly , in my case, i will admit i cannot fall into a single side of the argument because:

For me (im speaking for myself , and this needs to be stated to avoid controversy):

- You are literally killing a human life. Even if not fully developed it's literally stopping the being to have a complete cycle for that and its being ended forcefuly on purpose, so its not any different than pulling the trigger of a gun to a person in a technical sense.

- However, there's many factors to evaluate from the POV of the mother and this includes health , both mental and physical. It's really concerning when a woman has been raped and the baby is not planned and its even worse when you need to pick between the life of the mother and the baby's life...

-------

The only scenario i could totally see why it would be done if it was out of rape or a health condition ... however, i really find terrible for a female to do such thing when it's out of ''mistake'' and this mistake being not using condoms or protection during intercourse, it's so awful to end a life just because you literally opened your legs to a guy and didn't take care of yourself nor making sure your partner was cautious as well , let's be honest , and thats the one case in which i personaly wouldn't think it's fine.

Swiftie, you have to realize that people don't get abortions for the fun of it. It's not always their fault they don't always have access to contraceptives or they don't even realize that they exist, thanks to abstinence-only educations and they get pregnant.

Even in this case, abortion is the lesser of the evil. If a person doesn't practice safe intercourse and gets an unwanted child, the child will be put up for adoption, and have possible severe emotional consequences to it. Abortion means nipping it in the bud before it becomes a serious problem, thus being the lesser of evils choice in the long run.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Swiftie, you have to realize that people don't get abortions for the fun of it. It's not always their fault they don't always have access to contraceptives or they don't even realize that they exist, thanks to abstinence-only educations and they get pregnant.

Even in this case, abortion is the lesser of the evil. If a person doesn't practice safe intercourse and gets an unwanted child, the child will be put up for adoption, and have possible severe emotional consequences to it. Abortion means nipping it in the bud before it becomes a serious problem, thus being the lesser of evils choice in the long run.

This is still not an excuse to not to use protection.

If you don't have ''access'' dont have sex, it's just that simple. And besides an unwanted child, you can get plenty of STD's so it's always gonna be a risk and something that's simply not responsible , so it shouldnt be given a pass in my opinion since you are still exposing yourself.

Still, I don't think the consequence of having an unwanted child is better than just performing an abortion because of an irresponsible mistake.

Pro-choicers aren't exactly pro-abortion. They're more like, "abortion should be a valid last resort action to take against an unwanted pregnancy". You also have to realize that birth control and contraceptives aren't 100% going to prevent pregnancies like abstinence will (with what you're advocating), but considering that abstinence is pretty much akin to "if you want to avoid death from car accidents, don't drive" type of solution, completely unrealistic, you'll have to rely on birth control and contraceptives which still have a chance of having an unwanted pregnancy.

The thing is, in an issue of abortion, there will always be a lesser of evils option. None of us want to kill fetuses. But sometimes, it has to be done.

Swiftie_Luma said:
The only scenario i could totally see why it would be done if it was out of rape or a health condition ... however, i really find terrible for a female to do such thing when it's out of ''mistake'' and this mistake being not using condoms or protection during intercourse, it's so awful to end a life just because you literally opened your legs to a guy and didn't take care of yourself nor making sure your partner was cautious as well , let's be honest , and thats the one case in which i personaly wouldn't think it's fine.
Protected sex is not guaranteed pregnancy prevention. Keep this in mind any time you enter an abortion debate. Even so, the same pro-lifers often take measures to make sure abortions occur as much as possible by denying comprehensive sex education under unfounded fears that knowing about sex will make people less "moral", more "sinful" and more interested in doing sex as well as infamously trying to defund Planned Parenthood, which provides much-needed reproductive health services as well as abortions. Abstinence has proven itself again and again to be a miserable failure. It's on the same level as "if you don't want car accidents, don't drive" canard.

My stance still remains: putting a child for adoption is more "wrong" to me than undergoing an abortion.

Also, abortions seem to be a a basic fundamental right women should have (including privacy that should be respected). When you take away abortions, women can and will do anything they can to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, and those are far more dangerous measures. You will get Kermit Gosnells the moment you make abortions illegal or otherwise difficult to get, similar to making prostitution illegal (this makes prostitutes more vulnerable to getting abused).

IMO I think it's clear to me which side is the "wrong" side to the debate, and that's the pro-life side, who think they have the claim to a moral high ground and thus use abortion to score cheap points on other unrelated like gun control, or some extremely radical ones use that false sense of high ground as an excuse to murder doctors and set buildings on fire under the idea that they're saving lives somehow.

i can agree that this is one of those topics in which you have to ''pick your poison''.

I can only speak for myself on what i consider to be appropiate in this case, so i just hope nobody will take a path that they'll regret, whatever they decide in the end.

Hence that's why we believe it's up to the mother carrying the fetus to decide whether she wants an abortion or not. Some women also don't want an abortion, but some women do, depending on their moral stance. We just want abortion as an option available to those seeking it.

I will have less regrets going on an abortion than having go through birth and then discard this child to an adoption service. Would break my heart. People have abortions mostly because they want to guarantee only the best for their children, and at the time of the abortion, that time isn't the best time.

My hot take: stay out of people's business of what they want to do with their body and anything associated with it. Like really it's so annoying when people are like "aaa you can't do that cause my morals don't allow it". Screw your morals and stop sticking your nose in others' lives.

There are a fair amount of 18+ year olds in the forum which I believe are mature enough for those kinds of discussion, so I don't see why a portion of the forum can't have a little grown-up talk from time to time.

Eh, even though most people here are reasonable about their opinions, it's too easy for it to degenerate into arguing (some topics in topic storage can attest to that). Even if it doesn't, political/social issues don't generally produce positive feelings when discussed. I come to this forum to enjoy myself, and I don't really enjoy having these types of discussions on this site.

>this topic tho

wvCz6Is.gif

regardless, i consider myself pro-choice

except for when the eventual thanos cull comes around, in which i will be pro flip of the coin

Plague Knight said:
Eh, even though most people here are reasonable about their opinions, it's too easy for it to degenerate into arguing (some topics in topic storage can attest to that). Even if it doesn't, political/social issues don't generally produce positive feelings when discussed. I come to this forum to enjoy myself, and I don't really enjoy having these types of discussions on this site.
yeah sure, but doesn't mean the nature of the debate is wrong. It's just that people can't debate or don't really want to.

I'm the person who does enjoy discussing politics and social issues regardless where it is. I do understand the need for an escape sometimes, but I also don't like being denied a "let's get real" discussion either. While maybe Marioboards isn't the most appropriate venue for serious discussion, I think people also should grow more of a skin rather than visibly recoil whenever an uncomfortable topic comes up.

Abortion, on the other hand, is already discussed to death and I feel I've seen all the points already. I'd rather engage in issues I feel are more pressing including global warming and vaccination and GMOs and gun control, all these which more directly affect me.

Wow, this thread did not age well.
I'm fine with a political discussion on a Mario forum, but I think this really isn't worth arguing about because it's not a topic you can really get anywhere through debate. You either are okay with abortion or not and it's hard to cross the boundary between those sides.

As for me, I'm pro-choice, just because
  • It's not my business what a woman does in her personal life.
  • Creating a child should be a choice in our society, especially considering that it's a lot more of a burden to care for a child today than it was a 100,000 years ago.
  • I don't believe the government should have the right to regulate what should be a personal choice.

And I'm surprised that not a lot of people seemed to know that condoms and birth control have a chance of failing.

As for those who don't want a discussion of politics on MarioBoards, it's really up to you whether you read through this thread or not.

I'm sure all of these points above have been said already, which is why I think it's time we let this thread die. I don't understand why AJF revived it in the first place.

Roller said:
And I'm surprised that not a lot of people seemed to know that condoms and birth control have a chance of failing.
Yeah it's something that should be taught at high school health class. TBH if it wasn't for my high school having an actual mandatory health class with an actual competent teacher I probably wouldn't know this either.

Back