Mario Tennis Open

Re: Mario Tennis 3DS

Lumpy Space Princess said:
I'd like to see Petey return in this game
Petey hasn't been seen in very many Mario games in a while... I'd like to see him again, too!

Edit: 777th post, WOO-HOO! ;D

For an overview of the tournament format that I'm talking about...

*Standard Tournament
**Mushroom Cup
***Round 1: 1-set, 2-games
***Round 2: 1-set, 2-games
***Finals: 3-sets, 2-games
***Defending Champion: 3-sets, 2-games
**Flower Cup
***Round 2: 3-sets, 2-games
**Star Cup
***Defending Champion: 5-sets, 2-games

*Gimmick Masters
**Fire Cup
***Round 2: 1-set, 2-games
**Thunder Cup

*Star Tournament
**Rainbow Cup
**Moonlight Cup
***Finals: 5-sets, 2-games
**Planet Cup
***Round 1: 3-sets, 2-games
***Finals: 5-sets, 2-games

Isn't that layout exactly like Mario Power Tennis's?

Oh, and why can't I bring a human player in the Doubles tournament? Why!?

Baby Luigi said:
Isn't that layout exactly like Mario Power Tennis's?

It is, but with the addition of the defending champion match. It never hurts to reuse ideas from the past after all.

Mario Super Sluggers said:
I say that "buying" a character to unlock them (like in Mario Party 7) is better. It is more fun racking up points, then spending them on a character to unlock them.
No, not like sonic all stars racing, so hard to unlock...NOT!

Here's an image of the tournament bracket that goes with what I've been talking about. This would be used in singles and doubles; in the past, the doubles tournament used a different bracket system that doesn't look right.

tournamente.png

MnSG said:
Here's an image of the tournament bracket that goes with what I've been talking about. This would be used in singles and doubles; in the past, the doubles tournament used a different bracket system that doesn't look right.

tournamente.png

Hm, that little bit hanging on the left side doesn't look right.

That little bit is the defending champion if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, shouldn't there be defending champions (not a champion) for doubles tournament? Like, say, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi?

Baby Luigi said:
That little bit is the defending champion if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, shouldn't there be defending champions (not a champion) for doubles tournament? Like, say, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi?

You'd be right. Anyway, for some examples of first run defending champions (using my roster input)...

bold: Character
italic: Color Swap

Mushroom Cup Singles: Toadette
Flower Cup Singles: Fly Guy
Star Cup Singles: Paratroopa

Fire Cup Singles: Blooper
Thunder Cup Singles: Wiggler

Rainbow Cup Singles: Random color swap character
Moonlight Cup Singles: Cosmic Mario
Planet Cup Singles: Rosalina (Cosmic Spirit if the player is playing as Rosalina)

Mushroom Cup Doubles: Dry Bones + Red Boo
Flower Cup Doubles: Dixie Kong + Tiny Kong
Star Cup Doubles: King K. Rool + Kritter

Fire Cup Doubles: Coach + Random color swap character
Thunder Cup Doubles: Kalypso + Kopter

Rainbow Cup Doubles: Random color swap character + Random color swap character
Moonlight Cup Doubles: Cosmic Mario + Cosmic Luigi
Planet Cup Doubles: Rosalina (Cosmic Spirit if the player or teammate is playing as Rosalina) + Random color swap character

Default characters
Mario (All-Around)
Luigi (All-Around)
Peach (Technique)
Daisy (Technique)
Yoshi (Speedy)
Birdo (All-Around)
Wario (Power)
Waluigi (Defensive)
Koopa Troopa (Speedy)
Koopa Paratroopa (Technique)
Shy Guy (Technique)
Fly Guy (Tricky)
Boo (Tricky)
Toad (Technique)
Donkey Kong (Power)
Diddy Kong (Speedy)
Bowser (Power)
Bowser Jr. (Tricky)
Wiggler (Defensive)
Petey Piranha (Power)

Unlockable characters
Edit: Roster is removed.

Total 30 characters.
All Around - 4
Technique - 7
Speedy - 5
Power - 7
Defensive - 3
Tricky - 4

Okay, first off, don't double post

Secondly, Your thinking about Mario Golf, get your games right.

Thirdly, I think everybody is including too many DK Characters. DK and Diddy are enough. Dixie if they want to push it.

I just hope the gameplay is as good as previous Tennis games.

Devil Jin said:
Thirdly, I think everybody is including too many DK Characters. DK and Diddy are enough. Dixie if they want to push it.

Yeah, replace Kip and Kass with Baby Mario and Baby Luigi and it would be perfect

Is anyone worried about Waluigi not being in Tennis 3ds? I know he is in Mario Party 9 and 3ds London Mario & Sonic but those are games from the same development period MK7 was, so I´m a little worried that he´s not going to be in Mario Tennis 3ds. Only time will tell but still...

I'm certain he'll be in this game. Camelot is developing it anyway

Devil Jin said:
Secondly, Your thinking about Mario Golf, get your games right.

uh, no i think he got the right game.

Yoshi is playable in Advance Tour, and according to the wiki article, there are only 18 playable characters in Advance Tour, compared to Power Tour's 38.

Easmo said:
Is anyone worried about Waluigi not being in Tennis 3ds? I know he is in Mario Party 9 and 3ds London Mario & Sonic but those are games from the same development period MK7 was, so I´m a little worried that he´s not going to be in Mario Tennis 3ds. Only time will tell but still...

You don't have to worry for Waluigi at all. Like BLOF said, Camelot (the same company who made Waluigi) are making this game, so it is very likely that he will be in (since the company loves their own created characters so much).

I worry for Toad's reappearance as a playable character instead. He was one of the original playable characters as well...

Propeller Toad said:
I worry for Toad's reappearance as a playable character instead. He was one of the original playable characters as well...

Which is why Toad being yanked out of Mario Power Tennis was a dumb move. They teased us even further by making him participate on the tournament in the opening!

We only saw his picture on the tournament board. I don't think we actually saw him playing in the cutscenes. Besides a non-playable appearance is better than being completley absent, right?

Kick Buttowski said:
We only saw his picture on the tournament board. I don't think we actually saw him playing in the cutscenes. Besides a non-playable appearance is better than being completley absent, right?

Well, I agree.

The first scene of the opening made Mario Power Tennis the best game in the series barring the fact Baby Mario is not playable.

Kick Buttowski said:

It's ironic considering the fact that it was not only Toad, but also Toadette who were both on the scoreboard along with all the other partners. It's very likely they were playable (considering both were in Double Dash which was recently released at the time); however, I guess both got cut out after the intro was made. I guess it was nice to see Toad make an appearance somehow though Toadette was completely cut.

I also assume that Baby Mario and Baby Luigi were cut as well. I mean it is odd to have both of them in the audience for no reason, right (there must be a reason why they are there along with all the generic characters)? It's rather unfortunate. All four would have been very fun characters to use. :(

Baby Luigi said:
Propeller Toad said:

Which is why Toad being yanked out of Mario Power Tennis was a dumb move. They teased us even further by making him participate on the tournament in the opening!

Agreed. Though Toad tends to be playable every now and then while Toadette seems to be demoted to an NPC IF she appears at all. I dunno why but I tend to root for the under-appreciated characters :P In other words: Nintendo, please, give us playable Toad and Toadette, okay?

Also, I hope Rosalina learns sports other than kart racing. It would be fun to have such a "serious" character (as serious as you can be in a Mario game anyway) playing tennis with items, powershorts and that sort of crazy Mario-esque gameplay. It already happened with Kart racing, so, why not?

Back