Overated Mario games

WakerLuma

Celebi, the Time Traveller.
The title says it all. What Mario games do you think are overated?

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

The original is better, but all the "critics" fawn over SMG2. I personally play the original much more often than SMG2 because it has better boss fights, is not as stupidly easy as SMG2, and IMO has better music.

No we don't. You're thinking of the one for underrated games. This one is for overrated games.

I think SMB3 is very overrated.

Dr. Javelin said:
I personally play the original much more often than SMG2 because it has better boss fights, is not as stupidly easy as SMG2, and IMO has better music.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was easy, you say? I personally found it to be much harder than the first one, by a longshot.

Nack the Weasel said:
Dr. Javelin said:
I personally play the original much more often than SMG2 because it has better boss fights, is not as stupidly easy as SMG2, and IMO has better music.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was easy, you say? I personally found it to be much harder than the first one, by a longshot.
Well, maybe after you beat Bowser it gets hard. I simply went ahead, beat him, and didn't even glance back and the SMG2 disc. The boss battles were pathetically easy, though.

Pretty much the new ones. Each major new game brings in a tide of noobs who think that Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are the best games ever. Not saying they aren't good, but even today I find that hopping on Piranha Plants in a Kuribo's shoe or soaring across entire levels with a broken cape power is more fun than anything in the new games. But I know that Galaxy 2 will win best game, sadly.

Snowstalker said:
Pretty much the new ones. Each major new game brings in a tide of noobs who think that Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are the best games ever. Not saying they aren't good, but even today I find that hopping on Piranha Plants in a Kuribo's shoe or soaring across entire levels with a broken cape power is more fun than anything in the new games. But I know that Galaxy 2 will win best game, sadly.

It might not

coz theres loads of new games that are overated

Super Mario Galaxy 2: I don't know why this game gets all the hype. Sure, it introduced new things the original didn't, but the new elements did not justify the "95% of all elements are new" claim by Miyamoto. What I also hate is the absurd amount of 2.5D in a 3D platformer. Sure, it's nice to be classic, but 3D games are meant for 3D platforming. The linearity of levels scare me in Super Mario Galaxy 2. One of the only levels with the least bit of exploration was Star Shine Galaxy, and even that had a pretty bland design. Yoshi is all right, I guess, but the usage of him is pathetic. People say the gameplay is excellent.WTF? This game uses the exact engine the first game has, I don't know why people go drooling over that when the engine is borrowed from Super Mario Galaxy. The music is mostly great, though, I agree with that.

Overall, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a good game, something I can agree on, but it does not deserve that hype it gets.

Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2: I don't know why this game gets all the hype. Sure, it introduced new things the original didn't, but the new elements did not justify the "95% of all elements are new" claim by Miyamoto. What I also hate is the absurd amount of 2.5D in a 3D platformer. Sure, it's nice to be classic, but 3D games are meant for 3D platforming. The linearity of levels scare me in Super Mario Galaxy 2. One of the only levels with the least bit of exploration was Star Shine Galaxy, and even that had a pretty bland design. Yoshi is all right, I guess, but the usage of him is pathetic. People say the gameplay is excellent.WTF? This game uses the exact engine the first game has, I don't know why people go drooling over that when the engine is borrowed from Super Mario Galaxy. The music is mostly great, though, I agree with that.

Overall, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a good game, something I can agree on, but it does not deserve that hype it gets.

It has its problems

What almost everyone else said. There is no way Super Mario Galaxy 2 deserves a higher score than the first one.

Other than that, I can't really think of any games that are praised too much. Games like Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 come to mind, but those where influencial games, so they kinda deserve it.

Baby Luigi said:

I'm the only person at my school that thinks the original is better. Why does everyone else like SMG2?

"BECAUSE IT HAS YOSHI IT IT"

babyElectric said:
I'm the only person at my school that thinks the original is better. Why does everyone else like SMG2?

Yoshi hardly even appeared in it. Honestly. Same thing goes for Super Mario Bros. Wii, you can't take Yoshi with you so he isn't as good as he used to be.

Dr. Javelin said:
babyElectric said:

Yoshi hardly even appeared in it. Honestly. Same thing goes for Super Mario Bros. Wii, you can't take Yoshi with you so he isn't as good as he used to be.
Yeah not being able to take Yoshi's out of the level you find them was lame being able to take them out of the levels was what made them better than Animal Buddies

For a character who appears in the boxart, Yoshi rarely appears in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Which is a good thing I find that wasted potential.

When Nintendo does that, they look like they hate Yoshi and put him in the box only for fan service

I must be the only one here who thought Galaxy 2 was better then the original.

I agree that NSMB Wii was overrated, though.

Smasher 101 said:
I must be the only one here who thought Galaxy 2 was better then the original.

I agree that NSMB Wii was overrated, though.

I gotta know this; why do you think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was better than the original? And by how much?

Back