Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's an idea

Lakituthequick said:
I suggest having "cock " censored instead of "cock". That way words that start with cock (like cocktail) will not be censored, while if it stands alone it is.

But then if someone puts a period at the end of cock it will still be censored.

It's not like people use periods often when they post anyway, but it also applies to exclamation marks, question marks, periods, semi-colons, and any sort of punctuation mark

What we need is a censoring system that looks at whole words as opposed to parts of words as it is doing right now. Should the system recognise a censored word, it should investigate whether there's a character to the left or right of the word that isn't a space or a punctuation mark. If that's not doable, SMF is lame.

I hope it is. I can finally say cockroach or Cofagrigus without risk of being censored like a fool and without the clunky inconvenience with using tags to bypass the censor.

of course someone could mesh the words together like shitfuckbuggercunt (do excuse the excessive swearing), so we'll need to do something about that

Eh, there are just too many ways to bypass the censor unintentionally. Perhaps it won't happen after all.

I'll list them:
Custom Titles
Images
Using coding
Code:
[b][/b][i][/i][u][/u]etc
Ranks (maybe although shitposter was removed after MJII crisis for reasons I do not know)
Poll title (not options)

So yeah not too many but not a massive range to be honest.

There is an easier way, which is to remove the censor all together and just warn users that they're here at their own risk, but i don't think that option will be popular with Porple anyway.

Radagast the Brown said:
There is an easier way, which is to remove the censor all together and just warn users that they're here at their own risk, but i don't think that option will be popular with Porple anyway.
Disagree, users can turn off censer anyway and those who don't like it can just turn it on.

NSY said:
(although Shitposter was removed after MJII crisis for reasons I do not know)
no it was just renamed Red Yoshi

Chiaki Nanami said:
What we need is a censoring system that looks at whole words as opposed to parts of words as it is doing right now. Should the system recognise a censored word, it should investigate whether there's a character to the left or right of the word that isn't a space or a punctuation mark. If that's not doable, SMF is lame.
You tick a box IIRC

EDIT: Now that I think about that...
People could just say fucking and fucker etc.

I'm not sure if that's even possible....

I just looked at the description of Entertainment & Media.
TV, movies, music, books, and Internet media can be discussed here. Fun stuff like that.
That donesn't really sound right to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back