Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>Grand Wheelie
There are some threads in Console Gaming, Handheld Gaming, and Marioverse, which fit more in Online Gaming, IMO.
So if they've been posted there, it wouldn't be as dead.

Grand Wheelie said:
ユークリウッド・ヘルサイズ said:
Or simply merge all these threads into fewer Pokémon threads?
No, they all have different purposes.

I think without Pokémon threads, Handheld Gaming will go as dead as Online Gaming.

Handheld gaming isn't dependent on the Pokemon threads if it is active or dead.

Just because Pokemon is the most popular Handheld game doesn't mean anything. Pokemon isn't the only Handheld game out there. It's called the Handheld board, not the Pokemon board.

I'm pretty sure people had made posts in a topic like "Finally! A topic not related to Pokemon."

The reason the Handheld gaming has nearly only Pokemon topics is that these topics clog up the boards, and since Pokemon is popular, it would get bumped frequently, leaving other boards behind.

I mean, look

Title.png

Okay, so I'm pretty new to the wiki, but I've noticed that the articles on the wiki keep switching back and forth between past tense and present tense.

Example (from the Secret Alter article):

"After a few rounds, Luigi completely depleted King Boo of energy and the leader of the Boos was sucked into Luigi's trusty vacuum cleaner. His crown (a red jewel worth the same as a single coin) became Luigi's, and the Bowser body fell in two pieces, unable to move without King Boo's guidance. Luigi was warped back to the Secret Altar, where he finally recovered Mario's painting to return his brother to his former self.

The Secret Altar contains three chandeliers, one of which holds a Blue Jewel. On the west wall is a stone lion's head on the other side of which is the Bottom of the Well. On the east wall is a mirror flanked by two torches burning with incense. If Luigi vacuums the incense, one torch will give him money, and one torch will give him some gold. Two similar torches are found at the rear of the room on either side of Mario's painting."

Which tense, if any, is considered correct for use in articles?

I prefer present tense, because reading that Mario or another character already did something before many players get to that point in the game sounds kind of weird to me.

The present tense is preferable., but that's not set in stone. switching between tenses is a sign of shoddy writing (and indeed, the except you've quoted has some problems - such as talking about random facts that aren't relevant at all to the subject of the article).

Au contrair, when talking about anything in-universe, present tense is required, otherwise Template:Tense should be stuck upon the top of the article.

Look at it this way:

• If the article is in-universe (part of a game): Write ONLY in the present tense.
  • If the article is out-of-universe (it exists in the real world): Write in any tense, depending on how it fits in (e.g. Super Mario Bros. was released in... / the game has currently sold the second-most copies of any...)

I have a suggestion. Since we have access to what thread someone is viewing by clicking on their profile, can we please have small lists displayed at the bottom of threads?

7 User(s) are reading this topic: 2 members, 4 guests, 1 anonymous users.
George84, Jenny8675309

Sort of like that?

MarioGuy1 said:
Au contrair, when talking about anything in-universe, present tense is required, otherwise Template:Tense should be stuck upon the top of the article.

Look at it this way:

• If the article is in-universe (part of a game): Write ONLY in the present tense.
  • If the article is out-of-universe (it exists in the real world): Write in any tense, depending on how it fits in (e.g. Super Mario Bros. was released in... / the game has currently sold the second-most copies of any...)

Okay, thanks.

On the wiki I think in order to stop sock puppets from being made we should register their email accounts and if a user is already registered on that account they cannot create the account they where trying to make.

PokemonMaster said:
On the wiki I think in order to stop sock puppets from being made we should register their email accounts and if a user is already registered on that account they cannot create the account they where trying to make.
What if two or more siblings or friends share an email account? That means only one of them can register.

It is extremely hard to determine whether it is the same user or not. You mostly have to use common sense to block a sockpuppeted account. There will be never an easy way to solve this problem, and we'll never know if the user is telling the truth or making an excuse and lying.

Fawfulfury65 said:
What if two or more siblings or friends share an email account? That means only one of them can register.

IMO, people shouldn't share email accounts, but you make a good point.

Baby Luigi Lacertae said:
It is extremely hard to determine whether it is the same user or not. You mostly have to use common sense to block a sockpuppeted account. There will be never an easy way to solve this problem, and we'll never know if the user is telling the truth or making an excuse and lying.
Finding their IP is how you find sockpuppets. If they have the same IP, they're usually the same people. Sometimes it can be hard because many users have siblings or friends with an account, so they share an IP.

I wonder why my sister and I weren't on the ground of blocking when we first registered on the Super Mario Wiki. We use different computers, but we have the same IP address.

You got lucky I guess. I've blocked a lot of people for sockpuppeting, even though they ended up being siblings. I'm suprised I never got blocked when I forgot my password and made a new account.

But, yeah, I don't think this email idea will work, especially since some people don't even have emails.

Baby Luigi Lacertae said:
I wonder why my sister and I weren't on the ground of blocking when we first registered on the Super Mario Wiki. We use different computers, but we have the same IP address.
If I recall correctly, that would make your IP adresses one digit apart. Plus you said you were sisters.

>>PokemonMaster
You can still make as many email accounts as you desire, ever thought about that?

>>Baby Luigi Lacertae
If you have a VPS somewhere, your IP address can be faked as well.
But since you're sisters, I don't think Administrators would make a problem for that, but you have to tell them this.

Move the Mario Awards V child board to the Mario Awards board. It's too confusing to find shit

Maybe we could put the reason for the ban next to ''banned'' on someone's profile.
That would serve a dual purpose of teaching new users what not to do and being informative (I've always wondered the reason for each ban).

carcinoGeneticist said:
Maybe we could put the reason for the ban next to ''banned'' on someone's profile.
That would serve a dual purpose of teaching new users what not to do and being informative (I've always wondered the reason for each ban).
Like SonicBallZ, I never understood why he got banned.

PokemonMaster said:
carcinoGeneticist said:
Like SonicBallZ, I never understood why he got banned.
He was a bot.

No, he was just annoying and n00by as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back