Ray Trace

Fastest at casing, fastest at carrying
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
What Mario games do you think is underrated by the majority? Here's what I think:

1.Super Mario Bros. 2: This game made the list of the top ten worst Mario games (dunno where exactly, but I remember), mainly because it was a departure from the original and because it was a "cheap" rip-off of the Japan-exclusive game, Doki Doki Panic. As far as I played the game, I feel like this game does not deserve its bad reputation. It's a very solid Mario game, most aspects of the game were very fun. And what's wrong with a little change with the gameplay, especially if the gameplay turns out to be decent? It also introduces Peach and Toad's playability into the Mario series and the ability to be different characters with different stats, something even Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World lacked. This game also left a deep influence in the Mario series. Where would the Mario series be without Bob-ombs, Shy Guys, and to an extent, Birdo?

2.Mario Party series: This series gets bashed by many, complaining about how it's the same thing, and how it's not fun. I think the main reason is that they are playing by themselves and not with others. Granted, this game would get boring with single player, but why rule out the multiplayer? Just like how Super Mario Galaxy 2 gives out a solid single player experience, the Mario Party series give out a solid multiplayer experience. The Mario Party series also introduce new mechanics or improve among existing ones, making it either more or less entertaining.

3.Super Smash Bros. Brawl: This game gets very often compared to Super Smash Bros. Melee. It's true that tripping does suck and some characters are broken (I'm looking at you, Meta Knight), but should that be reasons that it is bad? Maybe compared to Super Smash Bros. Melee, but that's not the case if it's a stand-alone game. This game even has more characters and more stages to pick from, giving players more variety than Super Smash Bros. Melee. Also, this game has a superb soundtrack, which makes enjoying the game easier, and something even Super Smash Bros. Melee couldn't provide.

Any others you think they deserve mention? I know several others but I can't say so because I never played them (Super Mario Sunshine, Super Paper Mario) And I'm open to discussion, but please remember that this is mostly my opinion.

Super Paper Mario
People often complain that Super Paper Mario is a lousy game since it's only a semi-RPG. This game proves that people only focus on the negatives instead of both the positives and the negatives. While not being an RPG is a flaw, there are plenty about this game that makes it good. For starters, Peach doesn't get kidnapped again, well, okay, she does, but it's only during the beginning of the game, after finishing Chapter 1, Peach is playable. In addition to Peach, Bowser and Luigi are also playable, and they have different movesets which provide for different strengths and weaknesses for the characters, such as Bowser being able to deliver twice as much damage as the other characters, but is incredibly slow and due to his size is an easy target for enemies.

As for the main villain's minions, they actually have individual personalities, something the X-Nauts didn't really have (they were all just "Hey, Grodus dude." or "You called me, Sir Grodus, dude, sir?") O'Chunks is the strong, but dim muscle, Mimi is a spoiled girl, whom both are revealed to have decency in the end. Natasia is the efficient secretary-like right hand woman, Mr. L is the overconfident mechanical genius, while Dimentio is a clever type of villain who manipulates his enemies into doing his work for him.

Also, I enjoyed the Catch Cards, especailly since there were cards for the previous Paper Mario partners.

As for the plot, it was more...unique, since Mario wasn't just trying to save the world, but every universe and dimension in existence.

The music seems to fit for the most part, as the theme that plays while you're fighting Dimentio sounds like music you would expect at a magic show.

Finally, people often complain that the Mario series is too kid-friendly, well, this game sort of changes that considering Mario, Bowser, and Luigi were sent to the Mario versioni of hell, making it not so kid-friendly anymore.

While the game was mediocre with it's actual gameplay, it did succeeded in other areas.

I do have more to say, but I can't organize my thoughts right now, so maybe later.

The whole Donkey Kong Land series.

They're just great games (well, I think the second one is OK). Even for little, 8-bit games GB games, Rare still managed to make them almost as good as the 16-bit DKC games.

Mario's Time Machine. Few people know about this game, and people gave it really bad reviews, one of the reasons because the ending was just Bowser crying, and another reviewer called it "half-assed". People also criticized it for being too complicated for younger kids to understand.

In my opinion, the game is alright. Not the best, though.

Super Mario 64 DS. I think it is better than the Original. It was bigger and I did not mind the controls.

I did not play Super Mario 64 but it looks nowhere near as fun.

Mario Sports Mix
You should see how the reviewers penalized Mario Sports Mix. They gave it, like a 4/10. Sure, the roster is terrible and the single-player mode is a tedious road, and the methods for unlocking characters is redundant, but that is not all of the game. The graphics in this game is much better than Mario Kart Wii's (although Mario Kart Wii did not have impressive graphics to start with). In fact, the graphics are just good in general. The gameplay is not really bad, either, since each game has quite a lot of depth. The music in the game was great, it feels orchestrated in some parts.

The roster is still my biggest gripe about the game, but I still like it. However, some reviewers were extremely harsh in an unjustified way. They penalize the game for not following the real game's rules (when was the last Mario game that followed the rules of the sport? This is bull.) They fail to even mention the online capabilities of the game. Who hired these people? Their scores shouldn't even be posted in MarioWiki.

Donkey Kong Country Returns

A lot of people think it is bad and the worst DK game but I think it is awesome. It has fun levels,Diddy Kong and awesome music. They only bad thing about the game is there are no Kremlings in it.

@Ornithologist Mario

I'd have to agree with you. The reviewers were much too harsh on Mario Sports Mix. The game is great on its own and has a good wifi system too (unlike Brawl). I also agree on the points of Super Mario Bros. 2. So what if it's a rip-off, it's still a good game and feels like a Mario game in the heart. Miyamoto even stated that he worked more on Doki Doki Panic (the original SMB 2) than he did with SMB the Lost levels! Even the Smb2's article on the wiki is annoying to look at as there are too many statements about the game being a rip-off.

I would also like to add in Super Mario Sunshine to the list. It was a very fun game and unique; however, it too was bashed very hard. I also liked the fact that there were cutscenes with spoken dialogue (something that the Mario games do not usually have). If only they kept this feature. :(

Propeller Toad said:
@Ornithologist Mario

I'd have to agree with you. The reviewers were much too harsh on Mario Sports Mix. The game is great on its own and has a good wifi system too (unlike Brawl). I also agree on the points of Super Mario Bros. 2. So what if it's a rip-off, it's still a good game and feels like a Mario game in the heart. Miyamoto even stated that he worked more on Doki Doki Panic (the original SMB 2) than he did with SMB the Lost levels! Even the Smb2's article on the wiki is annoying to look at as there are too many statements about the game being a rip-off.

I would also like to add in Super Mario Sunshine to the list. It was a very fun game and unique; however, it too was bashed very hard. I also liked the fact that there were cutscenes with spoken dialogue (something that the Mario games do not usually have). If only they kept this feature. :(

I agree. Some people thought Bowser sounded bad though but yeah that was cool.

I don't know about you guys, but when it comes to Mario games, I rather have characters have full voice acting than not. I've heard Mario talk before, and it doesn't sound bad.

I want him talk like he does in Partners in Time and Bowser's inside Story because I always laugh when he talks in those games.

Partners In Time
Usually, everywhere I go, I hear people say "Partners In Time was the worst RPG ever!" or even worse "I never played Partners In Time, but since it has those damn babies, I don't like it. That's something only Yoshi's Island can get away with."

I thought Partners In Time was an okay game. People complained about it because of the cliche plot (alien invasion, we've all seen that before), it's true the whole alien invasion thing is over-done, The Shroobs actually had a reason for trying to take over the Mushroom Kingdom as their resources were running low. Other movies/video games and what not have the aliens invading Earth simply because they're aliens, it's what they do. I see that as lazyness on the writers part for those movies/video games.

The 2nd (and incredibly stupid) reasno PIT is hated is because it has babies. Okay, firsts off just because there are characters people dislike doesn't mean it's bad. I don't like Waluigi, but I still like some of the games he's been in. Also, the game only features 4 babies. It's not like Mario Kart Wii where nearly everybody's baby counterpart was playable.

The 3rd reason is understandable. The Touch Screen is only used once in the entire game. People complain that since it's on the DS, it should use the Touch Screen as much as possible. I don't really have much to say about this. Whether or not a game uses the Touch Screen doesn't really matter to me.

Aqua Soul said:
Partners In Time
Usually, everywhere I go, I hear people say "Partners In Time was the worst RPG ever!" or even worse "I never played Partners In Time, but since it has those damn babies, I don't like it. That's something only Yoshi's Island can get away with."

I thought Partners In Time was an okay game. People complained about it because of the cliche plot (alien invasion, we've all seen that before), it's true the whole alien invasion thing is over-done, The Shroobs actually had a reason for trying to take over the Mushroom Kingdom as their resources were running low. Other movies/video games and what not have the aliens invading Earth simply because they're aliens, it's what they do. I see that as lazyness on the writers part for those movies/video games.

The 2nd (and incredibly stupid) reasno PIT is hated is because it has babies. Okay, firsts off just because there are characters people dislike doesn't mean it's bad. I don't like Waluigi, but I still like some of the games he's been in. Also, the game only features 4 babies. It's not like Mario Kart Wii where nearly everybody's baby counterpart was playable.

The 3rd reason is understandable. The Touch Screen is only used once in the entire game. People complain that since it's on the DS, it should use the Touch Screen as much as possible. I don't really have much to say about this. Whether or not a game uses the Touch Screen doesn't really matter to me.

HOW DARE ANYONE DISLIKE THE SHROOB ARMY!!!!!! I shall contact our princess immediately to deal with them...

Seriously though, where are you guys getting your information from? Other than Mario Sports Mix, I've never heard any of these games called truly bad games.

I don't remember where the "worst RPG" bit came from, but the rest of the PIT hate was from a website called Lemmy's Land. A website dedicated to the koopalings.

Aqua Soul said:
Partners In Time
That's actually a bad reason not to like it. The game would be no better with touch screen use. Hitting buttons work just fine. I get annoyed when I have to stop for a second and pull out my stylus just to hit something on the touch screen (like you have to do a lot in OoT 3D).

Aqua Soul said:
I don't remember where the "worst RPG" bit came from, but the rest of the PIT hate was from a website called Lemmy's Land. A website dedicated to the koopalings.

It is probably because the game didn't have the Koopalings in it.

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are cute! :mad: You can't dislike a game just because they are in it! And why can't a DS not use the Touch Screen! The touch screen was great for a map. Touch controls can be gimmicky at times, too.

lol@baby haters. Seriously, they should stop bashing characters who actually came from 1995 (except for Baby Peach)

The site reminds me of GameFAQs. Koopaling fanboys lurk there too.

What about Super Mario Land?

I know this isn't a real reason, but I just love Super Mario Land. I've beaten it about 3 or 4 times now. ;)

Baby Luigi said:
Vote4Daisy said:
Super Mario Land.

Any reasons? We would love it

Well, even though it was released for the 3DS VC, it's rarely referenced anymore today. The only aspects of the SML series that still exist today are Daisy and Wario. We never saw Sarasaland, Tatanga, or any of the cool enemies or concepts from that game again. How could they forget about the Superballs? :( I hope they make a New Super Mario Land.

Vote4Daisy said:
Baby Luigi said:
Vote4Daisy said:
Super Mario Land.

Well, even though it was released for the 3DS VC, it's rarely referenced anymore today. The only aspects of the SML series that still exist today are Daisy and Wario. We never saw Sarasaland, Tatanga, or any of the cool enemies or concepts from that game again. How could they forget about the Superballs? :( I hope they make a New Super Mario Land.
I don't think it's referenced anymore just because it's a game that most kids today have never played because it's too old. It was very popular when it came out.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Vote4Daisy said:
Baby Luigi said:
Vote4Daisy said:
Super Mario Land.

I don't think it's referenced anymore just because it's a game that most kids today have never played because it's too old. It was very popular when it came out.
yeah. Super Mario 3 is an old game most kids doesn't play anymore...
Oh wait? Tanooki is back right?

Back