Poll

Who Should Be The Next Super Mario Rep In Smash?

Waluigi
Princess Daisy

Author Topic: Waluigi vs Daisy: Who Should Be In Smash Switch???  (Read 7030 times)

Isabelle

• I'm the cutest doggo. Bow down before me, you cannot resist... Adora-belle.
  • Dry Bowser
  • Koops
  • Dog Waifu. Also 8 posh emotes reside here.
    • View Profile
Re: Waluigi vs Daisy: Who Should Be In Smash Switch???
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2018, 02:16:14 AM »
Toad and Captain Toad are different characters. Toad being part of Peach's moveset doesn't mean the Captain can't make it in, but it might hurt his chances.

I can't believe we live in a world now where Geno is the most likely Mario character. That's just surreal and wrong.

Speaking of Geno, Salurai wants him in Smash but why isn't he in?

I mean, I know it's the Square Enix thing, but if so, then how come Cloud is here? Is there something I'm missing?

Northern Verve

• Princess of Magic
  • Star Spirit
  • SonicMario
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2018, 02:45:28 AM »
Toad and Captain Toad are different characters. Toad being part of Peach's moveset doesn't mean the Captain can't make it in, but it might hurt his chances.

I can't believe we live in a world now where Geno is the most likely Mario character. That's just surreal and wrong.

I mean, I know it's the Square Enix thing, but if so, then how come Cloud is here? Is there something I'm missing?

Cloud's a bigger deal then Geno by a large margin. Also Sakurai wanted to fulfill a request for a Final Fantasy character. And Cloud was the most popular one.

Cloud just benefits Square alot more then Geno does since he's from a game made more then 20 years ago that can't quite compare to the impact FF7 made on the industry, plus is getting a Remake (...Which probably won't come out until the next decade the rate it's going but still)

Geno only comes in if he really, really wants to fulfill the request of what was a huge underdog support for such an unlikely character in the Brawl speculation days. Square might prefer something of their other franchises though. You have Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, maybe even a 2nd Final Fantasy character from a game that was on a Nintendo system, etc. Square has no shortage of characters that would make great choices for Smash

Deku

• Izuku Midoriya
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Plus Ultra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2018, 08:57:44 AM »

Cloud's a bigger deal then Geno by a large margin. Also Sakurai wanted to fulfill a request for a Final Fantasy character. And Cloud was the most popular one.

Cloud just benefits Square alot more then Geno does since he's from a game made more then 20 years ago that can't quite compare to the impact FF7 made on the industry, plus is getting a Remake (...Which probably won't come out until the next decade the rate it's going but still)

Geno only comes in if he really, really wants to fulfill the request of what was a huge underdog support for such an unlikely character in the Brawl speculation days. Square might prefer something of their other franchises though. You have Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, maybe even a 2nd Final Fantasy character from a game that was on a Nintendo system, etc. Square has no shortage of characters that would make great choices for Smash
I am sad we never got a Dragon Quest or Chrono Trigger character in Smash 4 because we would have gotten newcomer art drawn by Akira Toriyama.

Roserade

• President of the Literature Club
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • King Bowser
  • "Write your way into his heart..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 17, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
I am sad we never got a Dragon Quest or Chrono Trigger character in Smash 4 because we would have gotten newcomer art drawn by Akira Toriyama.
Slap Secret of Mana on there as well and I fully agree with you.

Russian Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 17, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
Personally, I think Geno is a terrible choice for a newcomer, much less, a Mario one.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Deku

• Izuku Midoriya
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Plus Ultra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 17, 2018, 02:00:53 PM »
Oh I'm not crazy for Geno, but Sakurai has considered him in the past and the only thing that stopped him from getting into Brawl was having to negotiate with Square Enix. Geno has a pretty big fan following and with how much Sakurai seems to be aiming to please the fans, I can see it happening.

He'd be best served as an assist trophy imo.

Weasel

• All that and a bag of cool beans.
  • Global Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • MST3K
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 29, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »

dammit i miss bitf

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 29, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
Wa
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

Dorayaki

• Goombella
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 30, 2018, 08:52:15 AM »
Sorry if this question sounds offensive: Is he important to Mario series / Nintendo and Square Enix at this point? This should be a fair question. Both companies would have to promote their own original characters in the first place. Kingdom Heart series, which is co-develped by SE an Disney, is a similiari case.

We know after the SMRPG, SE still occasionally has some collaborative woks: Fortune Street and Mix Sports, but unfortunately these games do not come up with any SMRPG reference, not even original characters, which pretty has closed the case since then.

Also adding Nintendo still not adding any RPG-original candidates to the sport game rosters, this is a double difficulty.

Deku

• Izuku Midoriya
  • Donkey Kong
  • GalacticPetey
  • Plus Ultra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 30, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »
He was seriously considered for Brawl, and copyright issue with Square Enix is what prevented him from getting in. He was momentarily considered for Smash 4, and Sakurai acknowledged that demand for him was high, but he ultimately ended up as a mii costume. It's possible Square requested that Final Fantasy be represented first and foremost before other Square properties.

At the point Sakurai personally wanted Geno back in Brawl, it could definitely happen. Sakurai personally wanting a character trumps any argument about relevancy.

Dorayaki

• Goombella
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 30, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
He was seriously considered for Brawl, and copyright issue with Square Enix is what prevented him from getting in.
Not sure it it's for real, but the fact about relevance with the Mario franchise is indeed an issue after all.

It's not being mean to a specific RPG character, but to be fair other Nintendo's own PRG characters like the Paper partners are in the same situation for not obtaining further spotlight in the franchise. Still, just based on Fortune Street / Mix Sports, it feels like either one lacks the will to push collaborative characters between the two parties.

Well BTW, I would wish that Cloud and LIghtning appears in Mix Sports title in a Mario style look.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:47:32 AM by Dorayaki »

Princess Mario

• 💖"It's-a me, Mario! And I'm" [...] "In a Dress!"💖 Avatar by batata-doce
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #271 on: June 30, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
I don't know, remember what happened to Geno in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: The Remake?
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

Russian Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 30, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
Well, there's also many other characters Sakurai had personally wanted who had never been in a Smash Bros. game, Mach Rider and Takamaru to name a few. Mach Rider eventually ended up as a trophy in Melee and Takamaru as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4.

Also, I'd prefer other Square properties get representation over Geno if they had to get another from Square. IMO Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts are far more interesting and better for another Square rep than a one-off character from a Mario RPG who has an extreme niche following to begin with.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.