The Official "I'm going away/coming back!" Thread

Whoa. It's this place. It's been a very long time since I've seen this place.

For those of you who don't know or remember, I made a decision to leave this community back on October 6, 2017. But lately I've been missing this place and I've wanted to come back. So I did. And here I am. I wanted to update you on some things that have been happening in my life in the year I've been gone.

First, I feel like I'm obligated to mention that in the time I've been gone, I now have three people from the internet who want to be my siblings officially, so if you hear me talk about my older brother, my younger brother, or my younger sister, that's who they are. As far as I know, none of them are on here but I've told a couple of them.

Second, myself. I've been doing...meh. My situation at home has been really bad over the past few months and I don't know if people would be okay with me talking about it because it is pretty personal (mods, would one of you tell me where I can talk about my personal life?), but the most I'll say is that I've been suffering with depression since June. I'm also now 16 and I'm a senior in high school. My YouTube career has been stifled by the lack of editing because of two people's failure to get editing software to me and a friend of mine, but hopefully I'll be getting back there soon. If you're interested in subscribing to me for Let's Plays and other stupidity like videos of me using office electronics, just message me and I can send you the link.

I haven't really changed much in a couple ways you might know, like my strange obsession with game shows (which has only increased with my even stranger obsession with Supermarket Sweep) and one other thing I thought to put here but then forgot. I'm sure I'll think of it later. I'm still freakishly tall for my age, or at least it feels that way. I'm just about 6'6" (198.12 cm for you Metric people), give or take. I've also found out that I'm dyslexic, which leads to me coming off as an idiot a lot of times but hopefully I can avoid that.

Finally, and I think some of you might like this...

I am, in fact, openly gay. All those stupid things I said in 2016 are completely moot because instead of being against gayness, I'm part of the gayness. I'm in a relationship with a great guy who lives in England, and I have been since May 31, 2018, which has made me want to make a game someday because of some other things that are happening in my life. Maybe I'll talk about that another time. I was also in two other relationships, one from February to April and the other in early May, but I won't talk about those either or we would be here until next week.

So yeah, that's how I've been. I'm hoping to make a more permanent return starting right now.

Best regards and yeets, JL

PS. I know I'm not saying goodbye to anyone, but I just like signing things.

Welcome back, Roy! It's great to see you here again, because I wasn't sure if you were ever gonna come back. :D

Hope you find your place in the LGBTQ community, Roy.

Also my old landlord hasn't paid WiFi bills and as I don't fancy using up my whole data plan to regularly come here (no offence guys), I'm gonna drop out until its back. The new lettings agents are saying it could be up to two weeks.

EDIT: Fixed much faster than expected. Looks like I won't be gone.

Alright guys I think it's time to say goodbye for real.

I'm jaded and tired from the drama and some other things and I think it'd be best to part ways but first I'd like to mention a few things.

SonicMario - Stay cool man. We may speak in the future but I wish you good luck.
MrCD - Fellow pokemon fan. I hope your future is great and bright.
Palkia47 - If you ever see this bro. I want to let you know you are the best bro I ever had. Truly the best aniki.
Doof - Here's looking forwards to that new spyro game heh.
BLOF and LGM - Keep going with those great mods and stuff. Looking forward to see if either of you do anything for smash ultimate.
Galaticpetey - Congratulations on ridley getting in Smash Ultimate.
Meta Knight - Fellow Kirby fan. Stay Strong for our fellow Pink Puffball.
Stooben - You are truly amazing. I wish I could have heard any of your guitar solos or something.
Threek - Stay rad. Just keep being yourself and I thank you for being patient with me.
LTQ - I sincerely appreciate you and I thought you were like the most tech savvy person I have ever seen in the boards and wiki.
UltraMario - I apopreciate everything you did. Sorry I was harsh with you in the past.
Magikrazy - You are truly a Krazy person. But that's also really cool.
Gutseh - Thanks for all those Board game matches some years back. They were really fun and enjoyable and thanks for showing me some directs!
Smasher - Pillar of the community. I wish you good luck.

and finally.

Porplemontage - Thanks for creating the boards and the wiki. They're part of the reason why I improved my english and also part of the reason why I got plenty of friends and good experienced over the years. I hope the wiki and community can stay on strong no matter what adversity.

and for the rest good luck and stay safe!

Thanks for being patient with me and I'm truly grateful!

Farewell, may you move on to to greener pastures. We will miss you. Here's a song in your honour.

You know, for someone who keeps insisting that this forum is dead, you sure do come back here a lot to look for validation.

fuc you im not crazy

nah but seriously, it was cool seeing you one last time, i figured you had forgotten about this place. have a good life.

Hey there I'm PrinceLarryKoopa88 (PLK88), rare chance you've heard of me or remember me but I used to be somewhat active here back in I think '16-'17. I got tempbanned from here for like several months, never really bothered coming back but I just had a slight yearn to check out how the forums were doing. So like, whatsup?

Welcome back, I haven't heard of you since I joined in March of this year.

I've torn/ruptured some ligaments in my leg playing rugby. Recovery process is pretty time consuming and being crippled like this is making some things a lot more difficult than I'd like. As such, I'm probably going to quieten down here so I can focus on healing.

I'll still be able to handle my official duties here, of course! Maybe just give me a month until I'm able to walk and spend more time here.

Anyway, this place is great so I'll be back soon. Keep it real everyone.

I’m so sorry to hear about that, TPG :(. That sounds like it must have seriously hurt. I however, really wish you luck with your path of recovery! I hope it’ll be a smooth one ❤️

Hello, it's me
I've thought about us for a long, long time…

Hey all. It seems kind of counterintuitive to return to the forums just to give a proper goodbye, but lately, I've felt like I needed to give this place proper closure.

This place - and this community as a whole - were a huge part of my life for several years. But, as some of you may have noticed, I quit this community cold turkey in early 2014, only making sporadic posts from that point on and posting in threads I had a commitment to. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I'd made.

Over the years, I've had a love-hate relationship with this community. I've met some absolutely wonderful friends here that I continue to keep in touch with to this day, and have had many memorable experiences. However, I've also had just as many awful experiences here that I'd rather leave in the past. In ways, this is probably my fault, as I made a terrible impression of myself back in 2010-2011 as the angsty pre-teen I was, getting permanently banned on the wiki for regrettable actions I made during that time. To some, I feel like they never shook off that version of myself, which made it difficult to recover. It's amazing to me how actions made when you were young can sometimes influence your general reputation in a community. So once the love-hate relationship started veering more towards "hate", it seemed within my best interest to quietly leave. As a result, my entire demeanor and personality changed. For once, I felt liberated, and the summer of 2014 was easily one of the best summers I'd ever had because of it.

However, instead of being a normal person and making a proper farewell post, due to my OCD tendencies, I thought I'd let this dumb thread of mine run its course first. For years, I'd secretly had a goal in mind to reach the $100 mark and then close the thread, and my final post in that thread was going to serve as an actual farewell post. As the thread began to experience renewed activity earlier this year, though, I came to my senses and realized that this is not how I want to live. My official leave of these forums, which I have already been itching to do for 4 years, was literally dependent on chance. That is not healthy, and I quickly had the thread locked once this realization dawned on me. If I'm to leave a community that makes me uncomfortable, I need to get the hell out of Dodge and do it immediately.

And by the way, I had been drafting my final post in that thread since December 2016. For curious souls - and so it doesn't go to waste - I put it in the spoiler below in its unaltered form. I think it actually sheds light on more than this already-verbose post touches on. Maybe someone will enjoy it, IDK, but it's there.

We’ve done it! I’ve finally amassed $100 dollars from this thread.

And with that…I am officially retiring this thread.

Yup. You read that correctly.

It’s been a strong 6 and a half years, folks. Now you may be wondering (or maybe not!) - why did I do this for so long? I’m sure after the initial attention this thread received, people were surprised and a little bewildered that I kept it going. They likely kept noticing it pop up in page 1 of Mindless Junk and thought to themselves, “he’s still doing that sh*t”? I wanted this thread to not only be an endurance tester for me, but I wanted it to give me something to look forward to twice a year. And it certainly achieved that.

This thread served as a platform for me to see, biannually, how things had been changing and evolving with the forum, as I’d often poke around other topics and see what was going on every time I posted here. It’s bittersweet to see that, in the 6 and a half years I’ve kept this up, many veteran users I once knew have come and gone, and it’s almost as if a new “generation” of MarioBoards frequenters has been born. Heck, I barely recognize many of the users I see here now. At the same time, this thread also served as a benchmark to show how fast time really flies when you look back at each 6-month increment in retrospect. It’s really a crazy concept to me, because I’d often feel like I literally just made the last post in this thread the other day!

I more or less left this community in early 2014 for personal reasons, and while I have no intention of returning full-time, this thread always brought me joy and became one of the sole reasons for me to post here. Apart from giving me an incentive to look forward to, maybe it was to let people get a good, hearty laugh out of my dedication to this thread? I’m rather unsure at this point.

A few years after I started this thread, I realized I should set a goal for this thread to reach and end on a grand finale of sorts. $100 seemed like a reasonable stopping point since it would ideally take five years (without people bumping it) but of course, thanks to NSY, marioman1213, Smasher, LN1, Neptune and John Denver Fan, it took an additional 21 months. And I must thank them, too, for being brave enough souls to interrupt my biannual flow of money. That took some gumption – especially when Smasher bumped this thread a mere day before the six-month point! It’s also hilarious how during the period before the last post, this thread suddenly experienced renewed activity like I’d never seen it before. For the first time, my post was delayed until over a year after the last one. It’s as if you guys knew this was coming.

Now remains the big question – what will I do with this spare cash that took me 6 and a half years to earn? It would certainly be foolish if I squandered all of this hard-earned money on an impetuous purchase. What if I later experienced buyer’s remorse? It’s simply too much to be worried about. So, I’m going to put it in my savings where it belongs. Phil and Phyllis have actually authorized a savings account solely for this money, which is where it will stay. And as for them? I terminated Phyllis’ contract and allowed her to leave to take care of Phil in the retirement home – he deserves a good caretaker. I wish them both the best.

Thank you all for your generosity. Spread it to the world.

Anyway, my activity is not going to change. I'm still going to be as inactive as before, maybe barring an occasional post once in a blue moon, plus my commitment to the Elimination Game Winners Thread (and with that, the Winners games) - but let's be honest, with Elimination being as dead as it is now, and how rare it is to have to update that thread, you might as well just call me inactive for the most part. I get a knot in the pit of my stomach whenever I visit this place, and life's too short to keep revisiting a place that makes you uneasy. As I said, I still keep in touch with my closest friends from here via other services, so I have no reason to stay at this point.

I never thought I'd be making this post, so I hope this came out okay. And that's another thing - another reason I left is because I literally became scared of posting, as I have had numerous occasions here where people read too much into the wording of my posts and assumed I meant something that I really didn't. That anxiety and paranoia has transferred to other contexts, and I find that I'm a bit too preoccupied on my word choice at times, both online and in real life. But I hope this post clears up everything, if anyone was morbidly curious what happened to me. I'm not dead, so I guess that counts for something.

So, what am I up to now? I just turned 20 this year, I'm in my junior year of university and am a member of other online communities that I feel much more comfortable and safe on. Other than that, I mostly just discover music, help administrate three lyric sites - and of course, play the occasional video game.

I wish you all the best. Keep on keepin' on.

I've got some irl commitments that need taking care of this week, so I'll be away for a few days. I'll probably be back on Friday, but I might end up being gone for a couple more days after that, we'll see how things go I guess.

I lost my internet for a while, but I'm back.

Oh, I forgot to post here.

I've pulled two disappearing acts in the time I've been here. Not for any particular reason, I just moved on to other fandoms for a while and then came back when I thought back to this forum.

I've been registered for two years, but one year I was gone and I was gone for a few months this time. I'm back now!

Not that I'm really a major player here; some of you may not have even seen me around at all, but hey.

I've been a bit more of a stay-in this time than the other times, so hopefully I don't pull another disappearing act... Or if I do, I'm not gone as long.

On the road again

Hello, everybody, as of today, I am setting off to a trip to another part of my state that is very far away, I'm not bringing my laptop considering it's on the brink of extinction, but I will bring my tablet and comment every once and awhile, I should be traveling back by the fourth of November, well, see ya everyone.

I hope you have a good time while you are gone.

Back