What's the most overrated/underrated Mario game out there?

Remilia Scarlet said:
I'd say just about any Mario game made in the last four years is an enormous disappointment and don't deserve all the praise they're getting.
Mario peaked at SM64 IMO.

Remilia Scarlet said:
I'd say just about any Mario game made in the last four years is an enormous disappointment and don't deserve all the praise they're getting.

I´d say that SMG1 and 2 are the best mario platformers ever, nostalgia aside (and I´m 22 so I´m in the type of audience that should be blinded with nostalgia) . Heck, most of the sports games are great improvements too: an example would be Mario Golf Toadstool tour which is faaaaar better than MG64, let alone compared to the Nes open tournament one, as much as everyone quotes it for having Daisy as Luigi´s caddie.

Also, the Mario Party series as a whole and Super Paper Mario are highly underrated.

Another underrated one would be the winter olympics game. Well, probably not underrated, as it mostly received positive reviews and such, but people tend to ignore it, either for the Sonic hating or for the fact that the first one sucked (the second game, while still not perfect, is a HUGE improvement)

As for overrated games, probably Super Mario PRG (it´s great, but maybe not THAT legendary) and the first DKC (it´s good but DKC2 and 3 are far better, except for people who hate collectibles such as DK coins)

FunkyKong84 said:
DKC was incredible not just per se, but mainly because it was the mother of DKC2, DKC3 and DK64. It has incredible legacy therefore. SMB is definitely not as good as SMB3 or SMW, but it would be an insult to call it overrated and the same goes for DKC.
Sorry, not trying to oppose your opinion here, but I don't think I understand the logic in that; how would a game's sequels retroactively make it better? ôô

FunkyKong84 said:
DKC was incredible not just per se, but mainly because it was the mother of DKC2, DKC3 and DK64. It has incredible legacy therefore. SMB is definitely not as good as SMB3 or SMW, but it would be an insult to call it overrated and the same goes for DKC.
SMB1 is incredibly overrated.

SMG2 is just SLIGHTLY overrated IMO. Yes, it is a FANTASTIC game, but not a 10.0/10.0 game. The camera could be a bit more flexible, and it would be nice to have more stuff to do after the Green Stars IMO. Plus not a very good storyline. I'd rate it a 9.5/10.

Herr Shyguy said:
FunkyKong84 said:
SMB1 is incredibly overrated.

By SMB1 are you referring to the original Super Mario Bros?

I wouldn't call it incredibly overrated since I don't see everyone licking its balls as much as they do for some other games, but it's definitely inferior to some of the later platformers.

DKC and SMB are games that kick ass. :dk: :mario:

WigglerWhoopinWarrior135 said:
SMG2 is just SLIGHTLY overrated IMO. Yes, it is a FANTASTIC game, but not a 10.0/10.0 game. The camera could be a bit more flexible, and it would be nice to have more stuff to do after the Green Stars IMO. Plus not a very good storyline. I'd rate it a 9.5/10.
Those things don't bring the game down half a point. They are too minor and frankly, are not true IMO.

The camera angle is a little awkward at times IMO. Ok, the Green Stars were enough, but the storyline just wasn't good enough IMO. I guess I just like a game with a good storyline.

For me, the camera angle was fine, but it's your opinion.

And the storyline was the same as any other Mario game, including SMG. In fact, it was exactly the same as SMG except it didn't have Rosalina's storybook, which technically wasn't part of the plot anyway.

With the storyline, I mean Rosalina and the Comet Observatory. I know the general storyline is the same in every Mario game, but ay least SMG had more of a story feel. For the camera angle, there were some moments where I had to change the angle, but couldn't.

@Wiggler: The camera is definitely improved in SMG2 because you can fully rotate your view in 360 degrees. In specific places where you can't use the camera you either don't need to or the game doesn't let you to make it more difficult. It's not a mistake.

I find smg2 slightly overrated as to me its the same but the prequel has more exploration and story. Also mkds and mpds are highly overated, both have bad graphics and terrible rosters

now a days smg is underated, at first it was overated now with smg2 its underated.

I mean both smg and smg2 are great games, but now its all"smg sucks,the sequal is 1000 times better"

I dont understand why games like mkds and mpds are so overated, mkds costs £29!

I also think nsmbwii was slightly overrated as well

Link_Dudette said:
I dont understand why games like mkds and mpds are so overated, mkds costs £29!

Price is unrelated to the overratedness of a game.

Wait... you're from England?

She could be from Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland. Maybe.

Speaking of which, I don't get how why Yoshi's Island DS (it undersold, didn't it?) is still £25-30 for new.

Back