What's the most overrated/underrated Mario game out there?

Kinniku Man said:
With nerf guns!
Well that goes without saying! The real ones are dangerous.
Kinniku Man said:
on-topic: I would say Super Mario 64 DS is overrated.
What a coincidence, me too!

Wow. Seriously? I thought that Super Mario 64 DS was better than the original in almost every way. It's not just because of the extra characters; it's because of all the new content in general. The touch-screen mini-games, new levels, new missions, and so forth. I also thought the gameplay physics were slightly better than they were in the original. For example, the wall-kick technique is actually a lot easier to do, since Mario could slide on the wall a little bit before he jumps to the next. In the original, he would just automatically bump into it.

My biggest concern about that game is the control. Playing a Mario 3d platformer on a D-pad just doesn't work as well. The camera control was also sorta weird since you had to touch the screen. The fact that you had to hold the Y button down to dash was awkward too. Sure, it was possible to control speed (i.e. walk slowly or run) by using the touchscreen to move, but I didn't really like that either.

If they Make a "Super Mario 64 DS 64", maybe I'll consider it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Super Mario 64 DS 64", but as for the camera issue, the view could also be changed with the L button.

I think Super Paper Mario is also underrated...
This. It might not have been a full-fledged RPG like the other two, but I still found it to be very enjoyable to play. In my opinion, it had all the qualities that make up a good game; graphics, storyline, sound/music, and most importantly, the gameplay. There have been quite a few people who say that it had a bad storyline, but I disagree, but maybe that's because I just happen to love storylines that involve some psychotic villain that's bent on destroying the world.

SolarBlaze said:
I just happen to love storylines that involve some psychotic villain that's bent on destroying the world.
Everyone does, but goddammit they need a decent motive. "My girlfriend is probably dead" does not suffice.

Eh. Sounds overused...

Either that or it's two overused things combined. Sorry for beating down on you...

Mr. Doctor Professor Assistant-Governor General Shyguy said:
SolarBlaze said:
I just happen to love storylines that involve some psychotic villain that's bent on destroying the world.
Everyone does, but goddammit they need a decent motive. "My girlfriend is probably dead" does not suffice.
True, but I was mainly referring to Dimentio when I mentioned a "psychotic villain". His motive was different from Count Bleck's. He planned to destroy the world so that he could remake it in his own image.

SolarBlaze said:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Super Mario 64 DS 64", but as for the camera issue, the view could also be changed with the L button.
Basically, Super Mario 64 DS remade on a console. Whether it be 64, GCN, or Wii. Wii would actually probably be better. Multiplayer would be awesome. :3

I also thought the Super Paper Mario plot was better than the other two

I happen to like the original PM's plot. It knew it was a Mario game and it didn't try to deny it with fancy plot twists and such.

NSMBW was overrated IMO. Paper Mario: TTYD is very underated IMO. I don't get why everyone thinks the first Paper Mario was better.

WigglerWhoopinWarrior135 said:
Well, underated a little because everyone thinks the first one was better. Mario Party is pretty underrated too.
If anything, the third Paper Mario is underrated.

RAGE!

SPM is so overrated. I expected more of what I saw in the first two games and got none of it.

WigglerWhoopinWarrior135 said:
Paper Mario: TTYD is very underated IMO.
I giggled.

Mario Party is only underrated because Mario Party 2 was way better.

SMGalaxy 2 is underrated, because everybody seems to be complaining about it barring the game reviews. Btw I 'm at the 242th star, omg I 've lost like 100 lives and I still haven't got it! This is definitely the toughest challenge in a Mario game ever.

It may or may not be a "Mario" game depending on definition, but Donkey Kong Country would be the most overrated one; at least it was when it came out, not sure how much that still applies. While not a bad game, it's not such a phenomenally good game to deserve the hype it got either, most of which seemingly came from people drooling over the pre-rendered graphics while ignoring the rest of it. As for the main Mario series though, Super Mario 64. I always felt it tried too hard to be something "new" and ended up inferior to the 2D Mario titles preceding it, seeming quite half-hearted in general, and the gameplay never quite "worked" for me. Probably subjective though, I just never felt it was a very good game personally.

Most underrated would be Mario is Missing!. I'm still not quite sure why so many people hate it. It's different from the classic Mario platformers, but that's because it's not meant to be one. It's an edutainment game, and it's educational and reasonably entertaining, so it succeeds in what it tries to be. It doesn't deserve the hate from people expecting it to be something different from what it's stated to be.

Vellidragon said:
It may or may not be a "Mario" game depending on definition, but Donkey Kong Country would be the most overrated one; at least it was when it came out, not sure how much that still applies. While not a bad game, it's not such a phenomenally good game to deserve the hype it got either
Agreed 100%.

I'd say just about any Mario game made in the last four years is an enormous disappointment and don't deserve all the praise they're getting.

Vellidragon said:
Most underrated would be Mario is Missing!. I'm still not quite sure why so many people hate it. It's different from the classic Mario platformers, but that's because it's not meant to be one. It's an edutainment game, and it's educational and reasonably entertaining, so it succeeds in what it tries to be. It doesn't deserve the hate from people expecting it to be something different from what it's stated to be.

I must admit, I only played Mario's Time Machine and I'll just assume for now that they are very similar. The educational aspect of those games isn't that great. A good educational game should make the player learn something while still being something that resembles a game (because education + fun = efficient learning process, which is the whole purpose anyone even makes games like those). I faintly remember playing a Rayman game once (a very long time ago) that was designed to teach preschoolers basic math and spelling, while still being a solid platformer. The Mario educational titles however are not very good at mixing education and game. At several points in the game, you're just hit with a wall of text and the game forces you to work through all of it. That's not how it should be. however, so it might be a better option to just refer to a book instead.

As I said, I only know Mario's Time Machine, but I guess their inability to combine education and entertainment is the reason why nobody likes those games. They fail at being a game and at teaching you stuff.

DKC was incredible not just per se, but mainly because it was the mother of DKC2, DKC3 and DK64. It has incredible legacy therefore. SMB is definitely not as good as SMB3 or SMW, but it would be an insult to call it overrated and the same goes for DKC.

Back