The worst power-up ever

Blimp Yoshi from Galaxy 2 gets a dishonorary mention for being just a powerup that takes Mario from point a to point b in a slow and unwieldy manner but as a bonus, you get to stare at this majesty.
What the heck am I even looking at?! MY EYES! It burns!!!!!

Also it's always weird to me when people consider the Poison Mushroom an item when it's really more like an obstacle or enemy. The only real connection is a design similarity to the Super Mushroom. Otherwise it's like if you hit a ? Block and a Goomba popped out.

It disappears when you touch it, like a Super Mushroom or Fire Flower, suggesting you "collect" it, which is what I believe leads people to consider it an item beyond the fact that it's a bizarro mushroom.

I'm almost inclined to say Super Star due to the way it's been treated in recent games. It's just not as useful anymore

it's an old thread, yes, and a new one probably should have been made, so i'd like to remind the person who bumped it to not go seeking out topics to bump

however, as the bump has led to actual revitalized discussion among multiple members, i will allow the topic to continue discussing powerups that suck

(i'm still on the "why was spring mario a thing" train, that was super annoying)

For me, it's the Mini Mushroom, especially in NSMBDS. Makes it so it OHKO's you like you're in "normal form", makes platforming not fun, and is required for 100%; only reason I mention NSMBDS is because you have to backtrack for it to access secret worlds and hidden Star Coins. Later games at least put it in the same level you need it in.

It disappears when you touch it, like a Super Mushroom or Fire Flower, suggesting you "collect" it, which is what I believe leads people to consider it an item beyond the fact that it's a bizarro mushroom.
I'm assuming it's more of the mushroom part, since coins also disappear and get collected on contact. In my opinion, both coins and Poison Mushrooms could be thought of as items since that's such a general word—but neither fit my criteria for a powerup, since, well, the player character needs to get some additional power

Back