The most beautiful game.

Wario's ass

King Bowser
Pronouns
He/him
May sound ambiguous, but what do you think is the game with the most beauty in it? Regardless of whether the gameplay is good or bad.

EDIT: Alright, doesn't necessarily have to be aesthetic beauty either.

Last edited:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has some stellar visuals and music

There's little else in the Mario series that compares to the ethereal-ness of the Galaxy games. The visuals are nice, but I think it's more about the ambience, the moments of quiet in comparison to the bombastic orchestra, the general tone of the games. I think those games capture a particular magic that no other Mario game carries, and it's very beautiful

I agree with Roserade, the Galaxy games were so immersive. The music, the environments, the vibes were just so good in a way that's hard to explain with words. That's a main reason why they're in my top 5 Mario games of all time

I think of the Mario franchise Luigi's Mansion might have it thematically. Obviously Galaxy is tough competition but LM has real beauty in it best exemplified by the ending cutscene. It's a story about this renowned coward character with a low self esteem, who's capture is entirely considered an afterthought to the main villain's plan, and how he choses to endure the worst 24 hours of his life for his brother. Like I know this is all just a couple steps removed from an episode of Scooby Doo on paper but I think there's some real intentionality in how it's a game where every enemy mocks Luigi by laughing at him, as if the very concept of him being able to do anything is a joke and it ends with him literally getting the last laugh. Given how he's a character who'd later be associated quite strongly with crying it's a actually a really triumphant moment to see despite all the horror and mockery that he only cries at the end, when he laughs so hard he's brought to tears. IDK maybe I'm looking to much into a silly kids game but I think that's why the ending cutscene of Luigi's Mansion sticks with people so much, it releases so much catharsis after for the character and the young player a feeling of somehow managing to break the expectations of the world around them and I think that is a beautiful thing.

Also look at E.Gadd, that's a beautiful man if I've ever sean one

I would have to say the most beautiful Nintendo game in my opinion is Legend of Zelda Ocarina Of Time. Especially the scenes with Link riding across the countryside on Epona in Ocarina of Time, which you see on the title screen. Hyrule Fields is just such a beautiful location in the Zelda series. I also love the music in Hyrule Fields; the music sounds adventurous and exciting.

Last edited:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has some stellar visuals and music
Literally my first thought before I even clicked on the topic.

There's little else in the Mario series that compares to the ethereal-ness of the Galaxy games. The visuals are nice, but I think it's more about the ambience, the moments of quiet in comparison to the bombastic orchestra, the general tone of the games. I think those games capture a particular magic that no other Mario game carries, and it's very beautiful
Literally my second thought before clicking the topic.

I would have to say the most beautiful Nintendo game in my opinion is Legend of Zelda Ocarina Of Time. Especially the scenes with Link riding across the countryside on Epona in Ocarina of Time, which you see on the title screen. Hyrule Fields is just such a beautiful location in the Zelda series. I also love the music in Hyrule Fields; the music sounds adventurous and exciting.

I meant Mario and related series, not every game in the world.

Galaxy has a great setup and composition with its visuals and orchestra but it's not my favorite game visually. It's empty a lot, but the levels often don't take advantage of it so you sometimes get levels with little specks of land dotted against a skybox, and the game wishes it could run on a much more powerful console. Mario too looks a little off and he's certainly not the highlight of this game. However, the good levels look very good like Slimy Springs, Cosmic Cove, Good Egg, Melty Molten, and Space Junk, Space Junk and Battlerock/Dreadnought further helped by the music. They're indeed very memorable. The Comet Observatory is well put together IMO despite its navigational oddness.

My favorite game visually will have to be Luigi's Mansion 3 so far. Both the environment and the lighting setup in this game is just so well-placed and remarkable. Every room is a sight to take in. I think the generally dark lighting of the game helps, maybe mas a bit of the limitations of the Switch in terms of lighting. My favorite floor so far in the game is the gardening one where vegetation covers the room and gives the hotel a bit of a post-apocalyptic flair. But! Everyone is so well-animated too.

Mario Strikers Battle League I like to make a quick mention just for its very intricate animations, even lip syncing (albeit stock voices). All characters look very good in the menu.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe base game also gets honorary mention. The course composition is just so gorgeously detailed and pleasant to look at. Again, this game also wishes it can run on a more powerful computer because unfortunately the dated graphics hold its potential back so much. The lack of anti-aliasing is a let down, and the relatively low texture quality of the character models were certainly an afterthought vs the course design. There is also the bloom which is egregious and also abused in other Mario titles, but not to the extent of this game. Even at 2014, its visuals were dated even at the time of release, and I think it's a prime example of how the Switch aged.

I also like Dream Team's sprite work the most out of any Mario & Luigi game. That was expensive. Didn't necessarily pay off. But I like it all the same.

For me, I really like Mario Galaxy's visuals and music, just slaps me in the face with nostalgia. I recently played it and now have considered it the 2nd best 3D mario game ever made, right behind Odyssey, a game I also greatly appreciate. Most Mario games have great visuals and music, but Galaxy is still the best for me.

Hmmm, tough. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good, but Wonder and Galaxy were brilliant, Super Mario Bros. 2 is also visually great, at the time.
(My fav and visually favourite is not a Mario game, but has a Mario costume and a character called Mariko. Called Miitopia)

I forgot to include two games, but both Super Mario Party (albeit with a very tacky cover) and Mario Party Superstars have also some of my favorite visuals from all Mario games.

Super Mario Party is the game with the realistic steak after all.
SizzlingStakes.png

It also has one of my favorite Mario player models, as they included noticeable blush marks on his face.
SMP_image1.png

I've always liked how the metallic surfaces were done for both these games.
SMP_image6.png

Mario Party Superstars was done in the same engine, and I've always liked how they did Peach's Birthday Cake and its horrific sitting cake toppers
MPS_Peach%27s_Birthday_Cake_Victory.png

Sometimes, I'm reminded of Mario Party 8's weird realistic visuals, but in a good way!
Boulder_Ball_-_Mario_Party_Superstars.png

Oh and here's an obligatory Wario gets blasted away in a Mario Party minigame image
800px-Bombs_Away_-_Mario_Party_Superstars.png

Back