Guessing the Mario games for 2024

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
We've had this topic for 2020, 2022, and 2023, so that means another year to guess what's in store for 2024! This year, it was a bit more eventful compared to last year where there were only two Mario games. This year? We actually have 3 of them (Super Mario RPG remake, Super Mario Bros Wonder, WarioWare Move It!), plus the wrapping up of the expansions for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope.

Unlike past years, we've gotten a pretty good grasp on what Mario games to expect next year, since Nintendo announced several of them. From what we know, they are:
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong (remake of GBA game)
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Princess Peach: Showtime!
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (remake)
It's an impressive selection from what we know, but they aren't as impressive as they are mainly remakes. Only the Princess Peach game is a new game, so that means we got some room to guess what's to come.

Plus, next year is likely when the Nintendo Switch successor is likely to be announced, and with that, a Mario game is very likely to follow as history had shown us (Wii was the only one where a Mario game was not on that year outside Japan since WarioWare: Smooth Moves was only released in 2006 there). So it's also a place to guess what Mario games could be on the Switch successor. This of course includes not just Mario, but his related characters like Donkey Kong or Yoshi too.

For one, I am still holding hope that a new Dr. Mario game would be announced after years of disappointment of not having one, which I can't imagine being difficult to do but maybe they don't consider it a priority? Another possible game could be a new 3D Mario platformer, to which it's been 7 years since Super Mario Odyssey by 2024.

So what do you think would be the Mario games for 2024?

Thank you for reading.

Given that we already have four Mario games announced for 2024, I don't expect much in the way of more announcements. To be honest, as far as the Switch goes, I'm not sure what they could even do outside of what they already announced. I still think a sequel to Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker would be cool, but they might save that for the next system. I could see them doing a new Mario Baseball game though.

I'm torn on whether Nintendo might still make a new Dr. Mario game for the Switch. Dr. Mario has been on every Nintendo system in some form since the NES, but then again, it's been a fairly low-priority series, especially in recent years. Ever since the DS and Wii, Dr. Mario games have been digital-exclusive, and interestingly enough, I noticed that Nintendo hasn't released many e-Shop exclusive Mario games compared to the Wii U and 3DS (excluding Arcade Archives and NSO, it's just Super Mario Bros. 35 and Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit). Even the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series, which has been sort of digital-only, got a physical release on the Switch (granted, it's a remake of a game which had a physical release before). So I feel like if Dr. Mario gets a new game on the Switch, it'll end up getting a physical release. Or maybe it'll be digital-only after all, who knows. Despite being on pretty much every Nintendo system, I could see Dr. Mario skipping the Switch considering the low interest in the series as of late.

As for the next Nintendo system, I could see a new 3D Mario game being released on it. I don't know if it would be a launch title, but I imagine that it would be a high-priority title at least.

So, overall, my guesses are:
- new Mario Baseball game
- new Dr. Mario game (maybe)
- if the next Nintendo system releases in 2024, then a new 3D Mario game

Then again, there's already a pretty good lineup of Mario games, at least for me (even if they are mostly re-releases), so I honestly wouldn't be too disappointed if we didn't get many announcements next year.

Despite being on pretty much every Nintendo system, I could see Dr. Mario skipping the Switch considering the low interest in the series as of late.
I'd imagine that with the Nintendo Switch being as wildly successful as it is, it would be the best time to have a Dr. Mario game. Most Nintendo IPs saw a huge uptick in interest for being there, not only the big successes like Mario Party or Animal Crossing, but also the smaller ones like Pikmin and Xenoblade.

Nintendo seems willing to put Dr. Mario on systems that were not as successful like Dr. Mario 64, so it's strange that they don't see Dr. Mario as a series to visit for the Switch, despite generally being low-interest.

Maybe you're right in that Dr. Mario's time might have been long gone.

Thank you for reading.

I'm currently on the fence with Princess Peach Showtime, it's not the sort of thing that's properly grabbing my interest. The baking and the detective stuff shown already looks a bit cheesy to me. I may reconsider depending on the game's reception when it releases but I'm just not planning to pre-order it for now. The only fully new game coming next year that has grabbed my interest is Yohane: Numazu in the Mirage.

If their new console is coming in 2024, then the next 3D Mario will definitely be shown. I don't think it'll be an Odyssey 2, but it will still have the sandbox format, and it'll probably utilize the Switch 2's gimmick in some way.

As for the current Switch, I'm going to guess that we'll get a port of Yoshi's Woolly World next year.

As for the current Switch, I'm going to guess that we'll get a port of Yoshi's Woolly World next year.
Personally I think it would be the first Luigi's Mansion that would get a port. They've done it with the first two Pikmin games leading to Pikmin 4, so I think it's reasonable that they would release it not long before the second Luigi's Mansion remake. Could even be marketed as having every single Luigi's Mansion on console, even.

Thank you for reading.

Personally I think it would be the first Luigi's Mansion that would get a port. They've done it with the first two Pikmin games leading to Pikmin 4, so I think it's reasonable that they would release it not long before the second Luigi's Mansion remake. Could even be marketed as having every single Luigi's Mansion on console, even.

Thank you for reading.
Imo if they were going to port Luigi's Mansion 1 next year, they'd bundle it with Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon 2 HD. If we were getting LM1 with LM2 next year we'd probably know about it already.

Back