Everything Wrong With Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (Charriii5/CinemaSins Parody)

Greninja The Mario Karter

Greninja the Water/Dark Ninja
Pronouns
He, Him, His
Hey guys, before we start, I would just like to say that this is my first Charriii5/CinemaSins parody. I will establish a few rules for this series.

Rule 1: I will focus more on story than on gameplay, because while some narrative devices can be open to interpretation, oftentimes inconsistencies are pretty irrefutable, where some dialogue can be proven to be demonstrably false, something gameplay doesn't really have.

Rule 2: Whenever I do a "Screw this fight", I make sure the community agrees that it's a hard fight and I'm not the only one who's struggling with it.

Rule 3: I have to take other people's opinions on a certain gameplay part into consideration.

Rule 4: I must question certain aspects of cartoon or video game logic.

Rule 5: Whenever I'm confused about something, I shall say, "What are the RULES, doggonit?"

Sin Counter: 0
Toadsworth. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are toddlers. How did they get to Princess Peach's castle by themselves? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1
Time radar? So not only did you figure out time travel, but you also developed a way to detect someone else's location in the past? (+1)

Sin Counter: 2
If the time hole is here, it would stand to reason that no matter when we end up, we'd still be in Peach's castle, right? Or does time travel follow more realistic rules, where we can only travel in year-long increments, otherwise the planet's revolution would be at another point around the Sun and we would just be stuck in space? (+1)

Sin Counter: 3
Just fix the machine, my guy. I know you can't fully do it, because the Cobalt Star isn't there, but you don't know that because you didn't even try. (+1)

Sin Counter: 4
Also, Toadsworth starts the Luigi disrespect early on. Here's five sins. (+5)

Sin Counter: 9
What's the point of Baby Bowser kidnapping Baby Peach? As adults, I get it, not only does he want to take over the Kingdom but also maybe force her into marriage, but as babies... I don't think Peach really rules over anything yet, and I don't think Bowser knows anything about Peach to what to marry her at this point. (+1)

Sin Counter: 10
I can understand why Toadsworth wouldn't understand the adult Mario and Luigi right away, it is a somewhat Farfetch'd (pun intended) story, but think about it; why would these two grown men, dressed exactly like Mario and Luigi, know anything about two babies named Mario and Luigi who haven't really accomplished anything in their lives yet? (+1)

Sin Counter: 11
How does the time travel thing work? Why is it a round-trip to the babies' time and back to the present day? Do we have the option to choose when we end up? Clearly not if adult Mario and Luigi didn't know when Peach was going. What are the RULES, doggonit? (+3)

Sin Counter: 14
Also, why are all of the time holes to the present in Peach's Castle? The time holes in the past are scattered across the Mushroom Kingdom, so it's a huge coincidence that, in the present, they're all neatly concentrated here. (+1)

Sin Counter: 15
How did E Gadd know about the Shroobs' name? I'm guessing Stuffwell told you, but now that I think about it, who came up with the name to begin with? Because the Shroobs don't speak the same language as the people around here, so it's not like they could introduce themselves. (+1)

Sin Counter: 16
Capitol? With an O? Like, a building? I think you mean Capital with an A, meaning uppercase. (+1)

Sin Counter: 17
Also, what do you mean by "young juveniles"? "Juvenile" is a synonym for "young". (+1)

Sin Counter: 18
Oh god, where do I start with the L33t Hamm3r Broz.? Trying to incorporate hip leetspeak into the game, eh? Well, I won't let you get away with this. Time to issue 1,337 sins for the memes. (+1,337)

Sin Counter: 1,355
Baby Mario, I know you were cutting Swiggler of its supply, but why did you have to splash the drink in Luigi's face? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,356
Why did Mario and Luigi forget their moves from the last game? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,357
Realistically, what's stopping Mario and Luigi from helping this Yoshi push the Chomp Rock? They're pretty strong, and the babies have the hammers; why do we have to find the other Yoshis? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,358
With the Chomp Rock traveling down Yoob's intestines, that has to be really uncomfortable for Yoob. I would react the same way if I had trouble using the bathroom. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,359
Is it really vile Shroob work? Because I'm sure Yoshis have the same mechanism in their bodies as well, otherwise how do they turn gulped enemies into eggs? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,360
This is where I begin complaining about the game and talking about why I hate Partners in Time so much, so get ready. I know I've just established a rule for my series saying that I don't really talk about gameplay, but the fights in this game are BRUTAL, especially the boss fights. I feel like I take way too much damage from a single attack and don't get enough experience from enemies, even though up to this point, I've been fighting every single enemy I come across. For a game that makes me experiment through trial and error to learn enemies' attack patterns, it really feels like there's very little room for error. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,361
And that's just half of it. The other half consists of bosses which take FOREVER to beat, mainly because they have so much health. Either that, or I don't do enough damage, and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be dodging every single one of your enemies' attacks, only to still be fighting them minutes later and then get hit because you mistimed an input. Sunnycide is such a repetitive fight because all it is, is "release Yoshi, dodge attacks" 5 times, get Sunnycide on his back, do as much damage as you can, and repeat all of that like, 20 times. You're eventually going to mess up, meaning you either have to waste a turn healing, or just lose a Bro altogether, making the fight longer because the babies don't hit as hard as the adults do. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,362
Is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble controlling all four characters in combat? I swear, during the puzzles, they're fun to control, but using all four face buttons during combat never feels intuitive to me, especially when one of the adults falls, and I have to alternate between buttons I'm not used to. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,363
Before moving on, I would just like to talk about the Bros. Items, specifically why I have a problem with them. While they don't hinder gameplay as much as the Stickers from Paper Mario: Sticker Star or the Battle Cards from Paper Mario: Color Splash do, they still hinder gameplay by giving you a limited quantity of them, and even if you get the Ulti-Free Badge, only the character who has it can use unlimited Bros. Items. I only use certain Bros. Items against large groups of enemies or tougher enemies, as well as certain bosses, and as I get later into the game, I almost immediately ditch weaker ones like the Green Shell or Smash Egg by selling them because aside from the Cannonballer, the first few Bros. Items kind of suck. Even then, it's not like it'll be super useful if I have a 75% chance of screwing up an input with something I have a limited quantity of. Like I said before, the only way you'll be able to keep more Bros. Items is if you get the Ulti-Free Badge from Fawful, which costs 90 beans. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,364
How did Fawful even get underneath Peach's castle to open up his bean shop? You have to learn a new ability and take a pipe that requires four people to even come down here. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,365
How did Kylie Koopa even get into the Koopaseum? She told us that we couldn't just use the front door, and there's no way she could have found the secret entrance. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,366
First off, Baby Mario is a jerk to Luigi for hitting him with a hammer and causing him to get angry at him. (+2)

Sin Counter: 1,368
Second, Mario, why are you getting angry at Luigi? Luigi was just taking his frustration out on Baby Mario for hitting him with a hammer, and he didn't mean to make Baby Luigi cry as well. (+2)

Sin Counter: 1,370
Where was Kylie Koopa keeping an oversized key? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,371
How can we flatten people without hurting them? Same with the Mini-Mario ability in the other games of the Mario and Luigi series. Are our skeletons malleable? We know we have skeletons. Why doesn't this hurt us, but getting crushed by a Thwomp does? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,372
Even Mario and Luigi agree that the "Princess is in another castle" joke is lame. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,373
There are three HP blocks in this game, but why is one of them in Peach's Castle? There's rarely a reason I should be losing health in Peach's Castle anyway, and your health refills after beating a boss, and I'm not sure why another one is in Yoob's Stomach, so the only placement that makes sense is the last one in the room before fighting Princess Shroob. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,374
Whenever the babies or adults go into the time hole alone, how does the other pair go through the time hole as well, especially if it's an area they can't reach? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,375
How exactly are you going to stop an erupting volcano, Stuffwell? If Peach and Bowser are in there, Peach may just be dead, but Bowser will definitely survive. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,376
Wait, how did those fiery Thwomps get into E Gadd's lab?

Sin Counter: 1,377
So that means you came up with the Hydrogush, but didn't know we needed it. Meaning Stuffwell didn't tell you, meaning there was no reason for you to have built it. Why did you build it anyway? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,378
The Hydrogush luckily comes out at exactly the right pressure and angle to hit the lava. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,379
Mrs. Thwomp is a jerk to her husband. Ten sins. (+10)

Sin Counter: 1,389
If you don't hit a certain block in the sewers by now, you may have no way to beat the game. I'm adding thirty sins for that. (+30)

Sin Counter: 1,419
You just implied that you have no time for stuff, and now you want me to play your game? Which is it, Thwomp? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,420
I'm still fighting Bowser? It's been 10 minutes, and I still have 5 minutes of this fight to go! (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,421
Outside of the signs you can read, this is one of three instances where the Shroob speech is translated, and all three times, it doesn't really add much. I think it's understood that the people of Mario and Luigi's world can't understand them anyway, and it isn't like we learn much about the Shroobs through their dialogue, so why bother translating? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,422
How did Kylie Koopa switch from her Shroob disguise to her normal self, and how did she get that disguise on her to begin with? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,423
This crystal attack really reminds me of Sonic Heroes. Not a sin of the game. (+0)

Sin Counter: 1,424
Screw the Commander Shroob fight! It's just, make the bomb roll, dodge attacks, make the bomb roll, dodge attacks, and repeat that for, and I cannot stress this enough, a minimum of 15 minutes! And you have to make sure the Support Shroob in the front is the only one left standing when the bomb rolls, because the middle one will deal no damage at all, and the back one will cause you to take damage instead, and both lengthen an already long fight. (+5)

Sin Counter: 1,429
Are you kidding me? I'm shocked that Mario even has a belly at all. Have you seen what this man can do? Mario's going to outlive us all! (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,430
What kind of "things" has Luigi been up to that would be embarrassing for us to find out? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,431
Oh HECK no, I'm not about to tolerate this. The Star Door is a MASSIVE jerk to Luigi, and worse, he GASLIGHTS him into thinking he isn't worthy. That does it, I'm adding 50 sins. (+50)

Sin Counter: 1,481
You're telling me we could have just taken a Lakitu to get here instead of having to prove ourselves to that toxic Star Door? That's worth 20 sins. (+20)

Sin Counter: 1,501
Reverse cannibalism. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,502
Oh, screw that, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I've been fighting Elder Shrooboid for at least 10 minutes, and all of a sudden, I have to deal with a TURN LIMIT which is an instant Game Over if I don't hit the Shroob UFO? The Marios are pretty much dead, my guy. I've only had to fight this boss once, and none of the characters have been knocked out, but I have to waste a turn healing everyone or risk losing one of the adults, making this fight longer than it already is naturally! (+10)

Sin Counter: 1,512
We would re-Toadify Toadbert, I think we would re-Koopa-rate Kylie. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,513
I'm just going to say it; it doesn't make any sense that we can't Baby Spin the juveniles to the other side in the part of Shroob Castle where a bridge needs to be built. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,514
So, fun fact, unless the Rex Shroob has been stomped on, its charge attack is unavoidable. you literally CANNOT counterattack this move because the Rex Shroob is too tall to jump over. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,515
I've been hitting every Save Album, why wouldn't I do it now? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,516
Also, if you would "hate to boot up a regret cycle", why put ANOTHER Save Album further ahead? The next boss isn't the last one, and if I run out of items fighting her and can't come back, well, I'm kind of screwed, aren't I? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,517
The castle is under your control. You don't need to attack your own castle. (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,518
Wait, and now I can go back whenever I want anyway? What was the point of telling me I couldn't do it earlier? (+1)

Sin Counter: 1,519
Man, screw the Princess Shroob fight in particular. Do you want to know how long this fight takes at minimum? 20 minutes. And yes, I know, you must think it's really annoying that I keep bringing up how long the boss fights take me, but this is assuming you do everything perfectly and take as little damage as possible. All of these bosses took me one attempt to beat, but some attempts took longer than others, so imagine having to do it all over again. (+100)

Sin Counter: 1,619
And the worst part is, you don't even get experience for it. You realize there's one more fight after this, right? I could really use the stat boost. (+10)

Sin Counter: 1,629
Oh boy. Elder Princess Shroob. This is one of the worst boss battles I have ever faced in a video game. Remember that rule I just made wherein I have to take other people's opinions on this fight into consideration? Well, even though it's incredibly popular among the fanbase, I'm going to break that rule by sinning this fight for the wrong reasons. Elder Princess Shroob has 3500 HP in her FIRST form. That's 500 more HP than her sister, as well as her SECOND form, for which you don't get to heal; you beat Phase 1, you straight into Phase 2, meaning that altogether, she has 6500 HP. And do you know how I KNOW that even the developers agreed that she had WAY too much HP? In the European and Japanese versions of the game, her total HP has been reduced to 3800 (1800 for her first phase and 2000 for her second phase). Only 300 more HP than her American first phase, which by the way, is almost DOUBLE the HP of the international versions. (+500)

Sin Counter: 2,129
And honestly? Thank God for the Trampoline, Copy Flower, and Mix Flower. Because otherwise, I don't know how the game expects you to beat her second phase. You have to damage her, same as any other enemy, right? But in order to do that, you have to damage her crown to deactivate it. In order to even be able to REACH the crown, you have to take out her tentacles. The arms, tentacles, and crown all have their own HP, by the way; the arms each having 200 HP for a total of 800 HP for the arms alone, the tentacles having 400 HP, more than any regular enemy in the game, and the crown having 200 HP, the same amount as a Shroob Rex, the regular enemy with the most HP. Also, arms, crown, and tentacles come back after three turns, so screw you, and screw this fight. Instead of giving it two thousand sins like I said I would, I'm going to quintuple it to TEN thousand sins. (+10,000)

Sin Counter: 12,129
Wait, I don't understand. Did they fill the Hydrogush with babies' tears or was the solution just adding water? (+1)

Sin Counter: 12,130
The Hydrogush's liquid does not have the same chemical makeup as babies' tears. (+1)

Sin Counter: 12,131
Showser feels more like a minigame than it does a boss. How lame. (+10)

Sin Counter: 12,141
Considering that they're taking the Time Machine back to the past, doesn't that mean that they'll have grown up WITH the Time Machine, meaning that there's no reason for E Gadd to BUILD a Time Machine, meaning that Princess Peach knows not to go back to the past, meaning that the Elder Princess Shroob never gets trapped in the Cobalt Star, most likely meaning that the Shroobs successfully take over the Mushroom Kingdom? (+1)

Sin Counter: 12,142
Also, before I go, I'm going to give this game one last thing: FIVE THOUSAND SINS. If it hasn't been clear enough already, I despise Partners in Time with a passion, and I'm glad it didn't get a remake or even remaster, and Nintendo is right to try to erase this game from the Mario and Luigi RPG canon. (+5,000)

Sin Tally: 17,142
Sentence: I DESPISE THIS GAME AND ELDER PRINCESS SHROOB.

Hey everyone, Greninja The Mario Karter here. Thanks so much for looking at my Charriii5/CinemaSins parody of Everything Wrong With Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. This is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played in my life, and I hope to never play it again. My next Everything Wrong With will be on Super Mario Sunshine. See you then.

PS: I dare someone to make a rebuttal in the form of an "Everything Wrong With".

Partners in Time wasn't a game I enjoyed gargantuanly either, I didn't think it was intolerable but I remember even having more fun playing Sticker Star than it.

Okay but Baby Luigi being a starring character in a JRPG gives the game 1 million blessings.

1698895246997.png

Okay but Baby Luigi being a starring character in a JRPG gives the game 1 million blessings.
CinemaSins has a counterpart channel called CinemaWins, where the opposite of sins is wins.

Also, that's why I didn't give any sins to Baby Luigi. The sins involving Luigi involve him getting the short end of the stick, and I have to give them as justice for Luigi.

This is a very well written post, but it's a shame to hear you didn't enjoy this game. I think it's a fantastic and extremely underrated game. I can agree with some of your criticisms (a few plot holes and things that don't make sense, Shrowser and Stuffwell's confusing save album time travel sorta ruined the ending, the Shroobs cannot be understood until near the end of the game) but they don't really spoil my enjoyment of the game as a whole. I enjoyed the game being slightly on the harder side, having already played Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story prior to this one, even to the extent of undertaking the challenge of beating PiT whilst skipping half of the game, but when playing the game normally I never found it unbearably difficult nor found myself frustrated by the length of the boss fights (that may be because I own the PAL version). I enjoyed the story, the comedic scenes with the bros., the darkness, the characters etc. PiT may not be my favourite M&L but it will always be leagues ahead of Paper Jam or any of the Paper Mario games, except for TTYD and SPM which I enjoyed more than PiT.

I can agree with some of your criticisms (a few plot holes and things that don't make sense, Shrowser and Stuffwell's confusing save album time travel sorta ruined the ending, the Shroobs cannot be understood until near the end of the game) but they don't really spoil my enjoyment of the game as a whole. I enjoyed the game being slightly on the harder side, having already played Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story prior to this one, even to the extent of undertaking the challenge of beating PiT whilst skipping half of the game, but when playing the game normally I never found it unbearably difficult nor found myself frustrated by the length of the boss fights (that may be because I own the PAL version).

Regarding the end of the game, I think I know why I've been struggling throughout this game. I'm underleveled. Elder Princess Shroob is level 31, and I was at level 23 when I fought her, as I had my experience in the low 20,000s range. I've gone throughout most of the game feeling like I don't do enough damage, can't take a hit, or don't have enough HP to survive for a while, and I haven't even bothered to grind.

This carries over into me giving Elder Princess Shroob 10,000 sins. My entire mindset when playing this game has been. "Nah, it's not my fault I'm underleveled, it's not my fault I only used Bros. Items for like half of the game, and it's not my fault it felt off for controlling the characters in combat. That's obviously the game's fault. This is "Everything Wrong With Partners in Time", not "Everything Wrong With Greninja the Mario Karter". And I'm sure I'll get away with it too. I have a decent amount of posts after all. It's not like anyone's going to care." Is my reasoning for sinning Elder Princess Shroob sound, or is it flawed, and does doing so at all break one of the fundamental rules I set for my series? Also, is my Elder Princess Shroob rant the straw that breaks the camel's back in a series of boss rants that are already bad enough?

I ask this because it's not just one or two instances of me complaining about bosses being too hard for me, I've been like this for most of the post. I feel like I don't bother to recognize when I mess up, or worse, I DO recognize my flaws, but I decide to blame the game for it for whatever asinine reason, and then I create these seemingly understandable rules, but I don't even bother to follow them.

You're not making a true CinemaSins™️ unless you miscount your Sins, make spelling and grammar errors, and take hundreds of scenes out of context that's made extremely obvious to people who even slightly remember the things they're experiencing only to carelessly show the context in the next deceptively edited sin

You're not making a true CinemaSins™️ unless you miscount your Sins, make spelling and grammar errors, and take hundreds of scenes out of context that's made extremely obvious to people who even slightly remember the things they're experiencing only to carelessly show the context in the next deceptively edited sin

Good point, but in terms of these parodies, I would do better at sinning subjects than CinemaSins themselves because I count my sins correctly, make sure there aren't any spelling or grammatical errors (or at least as few as possible), and (if possible) avoid taking scenes out of context that are made extremely obvious to people who even slightly remember the things they experience only to carelessly show the context in the next deceptively edited sin.

Good point, but in terms of these parodies, I would do better at sinning subjects than CinemaSins themselves because I count my sins correctly, make sure there aren't any spelling or grammatical errors (or at least as few as possible), and (if possible) avoid taking scenes out of context that are made extremely obvious to people who even slightly remember the things they experience only to carelessly show the context in the next deceptively edited sin.
Says the person who added 1337 to the counter for a single transgression

Says the person who added 1337 to the counter for a single transgression

I did that as a joke for trying to incorporate hip leetspeak into the game. Also, I've done worse in this post. I gave the Elder Princess Shroob fight 10,000 sins and broke one of my series rules while doing so.

I'm surprised nobody has counter-sinned my post yet. I bet it's because my boss rants will actively make someone angrier and angrier until the Elder Princess Shroob rant actively makes them rage harder than they've ever raged before.

I was actually in the process of doing that but I said fuck it in the middle of it and decided to just post fanart of Baby Luigi dabbing instead since it would get across my point that I still love the game despite your opinion much quicker and succinctly.

Back