Mario vs Donkey Kong Switch

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
A remake of the original Mario vs Donkey Kong game will be coming to the Switch next year, a notable feature is the ability to play as Toad in a co-op mode

I hope this game sells very well, because I would love for the DK-styled Mario platformer to return! I know some think that the Super Mario platformers already filled the "Mario platformer" quota (basically a similar justification for saying Mario & Luigi already filled the RPG quota so Paper Mario should do something else), but I personally like and sometimes prefer Mario's original gameplay from the arcade Donkey Kong. As a bonus, it doesn't feature Bowser as the villain this time! Even Donkey Kong as a villain is a breath of fresh air because Bowser is so frequently used.

Besides co-op like they've shown, I have a feeling that a level editor might be added for this game since pre-release versions of this game had a level editor, but I am unsure about it going the extra mile in the same way the Link's Awakening remake did.

Thank you for reading.

Well that game is also successor to the original GB Donkey Kong.

You can also find Mario viscerally burning in that one.
:new:

NGL. . . I'm Really excited for this game. . .

MVDK just wasn't as interesting for me when it became a Lemmings Clone;

I Like How the First game & its Switch Remake bring back the Influential Gameplay of DK '94; Which is Where some of Mario's most Iconic Moveset originated from PRIOR to Super Mario 64[like His Backflip]

Maybe we could get a sequel too.

Yeah. . . One that ISN'T A ****ING Lemmings Clone!

Last edited:
NGL. . . I'm Really excited for this game. . .

MVDK just wasn't as interesting for me when it became a Lemmings Clone;

I Like How the First game & its Switch Remake bring back the Influential Gameplay of DK '94; Which is Where some of Mario's most Iconic Moveset originated from PRIOR to Super Mario 64[like His Backflip]

Maybe we could get a sequel too.

Yeah. . . One that ISN'T A ****ING Lemmings Clone!

Would it surprise you at all to learn that the reason the Mario vs. Donkey Kong IP swerved drastically in a genre-shift to Lemmings-lite gameplay is due in part because of Kensuke Tanabe? He was the one that made the Mini Marios become a focal point for the series for a whopping 6 entries in a row and was a producer for all of them. It's all too similar to how he changed the trajectory of Paper Mario with the sticker trilogy.

I think Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis was a fine game in fact, and it was OK to switch up the gameplay for one entry, since the Nintendo DS offered touch screen control, and it would have been a shame not to explore that, but subsequent entries were lackluster at best, with Minis March Again and Mini-Land Mayhem! dumbing down the gameplay severely for reasons unbeknownst to me. I think 1 Mini Mario focused entry was enough, 2 or more is just overkill... But you know Tanabe, always stubbornly sticking to his guns at the expense of what fans really desire.

I hope this game sells very well, because I would love for the DK-styled Mario platformer to return! I know some think that the Super Mario platformers already filled the "Mario platformer" quota (basically a similar justification for saying Mario & Luigi already filled the RPG quota so Paper Mario should do something else), but I personally like and sometimes prefer Mario's original gameplay from the arcade Donkey Kong. As a bonus, it doesn't feature Bowser as the villain this time! Even Donkey Kong as a villain is a breath of fresh air because Bowser is so frequently used.

Besides co-op like they've shown, I have a feeling that a level editor might be added for this game since pre-release versions of this game had a level editor, but I am unsure about it going the extra mile in the same way the Link's Awakening remake did.

Thank you for reading.

I am hoping to high heavens as well that this remake sells decently (And includes the level editor, as you said!). We desperately need a return to classic Mario vs. Donkey Kong gameplay where you control Mario in platforming segments. The tactile feel of controlling a person is far different from the multi-tasking management of several units on the board. Hell, while we're at it, maybe we can have playable Donkey Kong too? They did change the name to Mario and Donkey Kong for Minis on the Move on Nintendo 3DS that one time. Make it so that Mario and Donkey Kong compete with each other to impress Pauline or something like that, in a new entry with NO Mini Mario controlling.

Actually, I do believe part of why they're remaking this game in lieu of pumping out the umpteenth Mini Mario entry on Switch is because there is no avenue for comfortable touch screen controls on the console itself, without it being a huge hassle like it was with Super Mario Maker 2 and the designation of a 3rd-party capacitive stylus pen. And even at that with a capacitive touch screen... Hence why it was probably more preferable to return to a classic control style. I also do believe the last notable entry, Tipping Stars, sold rather poorly, so when you add all of this up it makes sense that they'd go back to the drawing board and return to roots.

The question now is... Is this remake Tanabe's doing?:koopa:

Would it surprise you at all to learn that the reason the Mario vs. Donkey Kong IP swerved drastically in a genre-shift to Lemmings-lite gameplay is due in part because of Kensuke Tanabe?
Honestly. . . With How He Handled Sticker Star and Every Paper Mario game up until the upcoming TTYD Remake. . . not really.

But you know Tanabe, always stubbornly sticking to his guns at the expense of what fans really desire.

Unfortunately.

it's 2023 AD and you guys are still playing the "tanabe is the antichrist" card even though he was just a producer who oversaw resources and other aspects of, well, production and had seldom if any intervention in the creative process.

Mario vs. DK games are developed by NST, a division of Nintendo of America that is credited separately from the allfather Nintendo Co., Ltd., who at most exercised brand control and some advisory positions. Level any criticism you have over to the people who were actually in charge of the games' direction.

There's a demo out now on the eShop. It has 3 standard levels from world 1, and the Mini Mario stage.
I Loved each level. . .

And It's just a SHAME; that Mario vs Donkey Kong went from An Expansion to the acrobatic Gameplay from Donkey Kong '94; to ****ing Lemmings from the second game onwards!!

Back