What game did you last play?!?!?!?

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

motherfuckers gotta stop using low time limit any stage 3 stock rulesets with shitty connections

There was a Ridley player a week ago that beat me 3 times while I was DK, he had some really obvious move choices (side b at the edge notably) but I'm bad so I rarely punished it until the last game where I sd'd when I had the lead and tilted. I saw him again today except I was Ridley now as well. I hope he remembered me as I beat him with his own character.

Fate/Extra CCC

It's crazy how much more interesting this game is than Extra right from the start, Extra almost feels like it only existed so you could learn the characters and give them some development so that when they show up here you're attached. Leo without a stick up his ass anymore is a really fun character. Julius playing the straight man after his entire depressing character arc is nice.

It seems like this game is inheritly less bullshit than the previous game because characters have fixed stats and so enemies are based around that. I can take a few hits using Tamamo and not get a game over instantly and you recover HP/MP upon levelling up. Save states cause the music to die until a new track starts so I'm going to be forced not to cheat very often unfortunately.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

I tried out every character I didn't try before.

Of course, Mr Game & Watch was the guinea pig. Best punching I did in a while.

Kirby Star Allies (Switch)

Completed my "friendless" run, and my opinions on it have changed slightly. I'll compare some parts of the game between "lone wolf" and "full party":

Traditional stages: lone wolf
Friend-focused stages: full party
Stages with giant crushing blocks: lone wolf
Bosses/minibosses/enemy waves: lone wolf
Friend ability experimentation: full party
Friend puzzles: full party (ensure that hints are set to OFF)
First-timers' run: full party
Multiplayer frenzy: no CPUs
Guest Star ????: same as above (avoid power-up hearts for added challenge)
The Ultimate Choice: full party (moderate challenge) / lone wolf (ultimate frustration)
Heroes in Another Dimension: full party (lone wolf for added challenge)

If nothing else, from this friendless run I've learned never to force yourself to play without helpers to the extent that it detracts from the experience. Also, don't do the game with a nonstop full party because that makes the game stupidly easy and the bosses less fun and will also detract from the experience. There's a balance in there, and hopefully the above chart helps outline which parts of the game are better alone.

Tales of Vesperia

Playing this has made me realise how much I missed the Tales style that was used for Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia. I like the weapon skills, it keeps me rotating my party members to make sure I don't miss things. I was going to play English dub but I've heard bad things about the replacement voices for the new content/skills so I just stuck with Japanese. I can see why Yuri tops all the popularity polls for this series just from a few hours of playtime.

Yoshi and DK's fairs are so satisfying to use, specifically when killing Incineroar at 20% as punishment for choosing FD. Bowser is still the only character I have in Elite, I started playing the others more to try get them in but I guess maybe GSP looks at w/l ratio at least somewhat because it seems way harder to get these characters in than it was for Bowser. I also just lose more often with them so that could be all it is too. It would explain why 3 wins with Mewtwo skyrocketed his score before I started getting losses.

Dragalia Lost

Master challenge is doable. I was close with a Lv20 facility so I'll just make another attempt at Lv30. I'm glad they're looking into double wyrmprints, I don't hate them they just aren't usable enough in their current state and the free ones tend to outweigh the gacha ones in usefulness. I've just not been using my wings, the state of host/join during events is so trash I'm glad they're fixing it.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

So, after finishing the Temple of Light in WoL, I headed straight to Galleom's dungeon. As Bowser, I was literally commiting genocide. I was defeating almost every fight in like 10 seconds. I even defeated some of them without taking damage. Haven't reached Galleom yet, but I unlocked his pathway. The only fight I can't finish is the Dr. Wily fight, because OH GOD it's difficult. I can't even defeat a single enemy when there's nine of them!
But my little brother did defeat Galleem and reach what I suppose is the World of Dark. He's headed to the Hyrule area.

Tales of Vesperia

If I had one complaint it would be that using the analog stick during fights is too hard due to the sensitivity of it detecting jumps, but using the d-pad for exploration is rigid because the camera angles and area layouts don't work with the 8 directions you use. Also I don't think I can use party commands with d-pad controls. Free run got nerfed from Abyss but it's still super useful.

Also I didn't figure out that shops weren't seperated by general/weapons/etc. until I got to Rita's place so I had to backtrack to the towns I'd already been to to get the early weapons. I was wondering where Yuri's backstep was hiding for so long and it was in the first town.

Super Mario Bros. (Switch)

Beat World 7, and every one of its four levels contain the worst level design I've ever seen in a Mario game. 7-1 contains some unpredictable and near-unavoidable Hammer Bros. that can easily cause some rather cheap deaths. 7-2 has way too many Bloopers chasing you that eventually become so numerous you have practically no chance of avoiding them. 7-3 is full of a bunch of cheap Cheep Cheeps that are far too numerous, 100% unpredictable, and 210% unfair. And the worst of them, 7-4 is a timed castle labyrinth that you're not solving without a guide. And as if that wasn't enough, after all this (including my new least favorite Mario level of all time), all you find is a Toad. Not the princess. I'm running out of castles, though, so that next one has to be the princess.

Tales of Vesperia

I found out about guard cancelling and this sure makes things a little safer. Using an arte when you're surrounded will just knock you out of it but at least if I can get an enemy by itself I can just pummel it up against a wall safely.

There was an animated cut scene and I've got new battle music so I must be in the second act. Judith is like Regal Bryant with tits. I tried fighting the Green Giganto monster but it kicked my ass so I'll just do it some other time. I like Fatal Strikes but I can never get them to activate at a good time and I can't just let the boss fall out of hitstun while I wait for the AI to make it appear again. Against normal enemies they're just dead before any symbol can appear. I get the idea behind FS chains but I don't think I have the huge brain or timing to pull it off.

Company of Heroes 2

Got around playing it, love some good classic RTS even with my inexperience with the genre (really only messed with Starcraft and it's not that serious).

Downwell (PC)
This game is best described as a shoot-em-down, where instead of advancing from down to up, you advance from up to down by falling. The player can also shoot beneath them with various power ups. It's also styled after a retro game like the NES, as it has minimal colours, having only black, white and a default red colour. I believe there is no end except for getting the best score possible, as I think the areas will repeat itself after going through 4 themed areas. At least playing a few times will unlock stuff like colour themes and styles, so it's not a futile effort to keep trying.

Splatoon 2
I am currently at S+2 in Clam Blitz after being demoted from S+3, and I recently crossed the OK bar when I am in danger of further demotion. On the other hand, I have reached X rank in Tower Control, which is my second X rank after Splat Zones. The main weapon I used is the Hero Slosher Replica, which I like for this mode because its Sub and Special are conducive for the main modes, as with Thermal Ink which I found most effective here.

Thank you for reading.

Tales of Vesperia

I spent an hour or so running around activating some stuff in this sub-event guide. If it's anything like Abyss you can miss an out of the way completely random event in the first quarter of the game and be locked out of half of the sub-events in the game permanently. It's interesting that the free dlc comes with a bunch of instant level ups and gold. Also it comes with costumes but I kind of like the default costumes for everyone enough already.

People at work want to play against me but they don't want to do 1v1 against me lol. I don't know if it'll actually happen but I'm fine with goofing around in smash. I just hate playing this game with any noticeable input delay. In hindsight it probably would be easier to reach elite with a character if I didn't change character every match but I have more fun rotating through. Also the colour pick bug is the worst with Corrin, nobody wants to play male corrin.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

It's been a little while, but it sure didn't take me long to figure out that I have all Kirby series spirits in the game...except that dang Ultra Sword, which apparently I have to get from Sheldon's place...randomly. At least on the Spirit Board I could just keep using Shuffle All until I saw the spirit I wanted. But that's not the case here...

Fire Emblem: Fates

doing the conquest campaign since i havent played it in years. i'm also actually doing it on hard/classic this time around which has been immensely satisfying. it really makes you feel like a tactical feet dragon

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

I completed Dr. Mario's route in Classic Mode and got his Fighter Spirit. Just after that, I went into Sheldon's place and saw the Ultra Sword spirit. Finally, at long last, I was able to buy it and finally have all Kirby series spirits! Time to do the same in Smash Wii U...

I completed the final standard difficulty in The Ultimate Choice, Infernal Crisis, without allies. I was Kirby with the Cutter ability. It was a bit of a challenge, but I still barely bested it on my first attempt. Next up is Soul Melter...*shudders*

Left 4 Dead 2

Game crashes like the airplane in Dead Air >________>

I swear most Elite smash players use Wolf. Also Link players always have the dumbest rulesets, probably for maximum cheese. I've figured out that I just hate FD. Platforms are just so much more fun to work around, even if there's a good number of people that can abuse me trying to get back down from them, it's way more braindead doing anything on flat rock; the stage.

My fear of losing with Bowser and dropping hard is the secret spice to beating the Wolf gauntlet. I still have no idea what I should be doing with Mewtwo, I win sometimes but when I lose its brutal. What do you even do against mii swordguy.

2 weeks until Etrian nexus I'm excited.

Dark Souls Remastered for the Switch. I'm trying to beat the Asylum Demon, the first bodd. But boy is he hard to beat. I'm having no luck in beating him, I keep dying. The game is notorious for its hard difficulty.

I beat Soul Melter without allies as Kirby, with a lot of help from a certain overpowered ability: Plasma! Basically, with Plasma, you mash different buttons on the D-Pad to charge an ultra-powerful electric charge shot (with unlimited horizontal range, by the way), and it can even shoot vertically! Sound too good to be true? Well, the main drawback to Plasma is that it's rather tricky to use, as since you literally mash different directions on the D-Pad to charge, you can't move freely while charging. But, as a feature retained from the similar Spark ability in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, you can charge power by shaking the controller and you can still move freely while doing so. Obviously this doesn't work in the Switch's handheld mode, or if you're using a controller that doesn't support motion controls. But that aside, the Plasma ability has no significant weaknesses! You can even use Plugg the helper to have an even easier time, as he can continue to infinitely jump while charging and firing his plasma shot, something that Kirby can't do with his rather limited hover. Also, if you're not good at shaking controllers quickly, you can mash the D-Pad and shake the controller to charge even faster (although you can't move freely). So are you still looking to beat Soul Melter? Say hello to your new friend Plasma!

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)

It's been a couple of years since my last playthrough and I weirdly don't really remember much of it, so I figure now would be a good time for a revisit.

Splatoon 2

I beaten 7 rounds in Tower Control (3 wins/4 losses) so it remains to be seen what my X rank will be. I have also played the Salmon Run session containing Dynamo Roller, Dualie Squelchers, .52 Gal and Classic Squiffer. Unfortunately I am still struggling with Rainmaker while I am finding the best weapon to use (and also because Shellendorf Museum is in the map rotation).

Wario's Woods NES

With usage of Suspend Points, I have gotten to Level 100 in Round Game A, which means I essentially beaten this mode. Sadly, levels past 100 cannot be returned to, as I have learned when I reached Level 105 but lost on purpose. This is unlike the SNES where the game allows you to return to levels past 100. However, I still have Round Game B to beat so I have only reached Level 9, which contains some strange setup for a boss battle. I suspect that there is a second round game because the NES couldn't properly handle the AI of the second player, which the SNES version has (even then the CPU opponents aren't terribly tough). Overall I would say that the SNES is definitively better game because it's more straightforward in gameplay functionality, since I felt Wario's Woods shined as a competitive multiplayer game as much as a single player round game, which the SNES version balances (rather than the NES heavily favouring the single player aspect). Moreover, I felt the SNES has more fluid controls over the NES.

Thank you for reading.

Tales of Vesperia

I don't know how much damage I'm doing but it looks cool when you land a big combo and then go into overlimit to repeat it then finish with a burst arte and a fatal strike. Then you run away because the boss goes into overlimit and you can't do shit. I wonder when Mystic Artes will show up, or the abilities that let you chain artes beyond Base>Arcane. I feel like the ghost ship is new to the ps3 version since without Patty the second party would just be three people and she's not in the original.

I don't know how to use characters that aren't Yuri, how does Raven work. I ended up just using Patty because she only really has one combo to use right now so I can't mess it up.

Dragalia Lost

They did an update but it's still not the co-op hosting change so I've still been neglecting my getherwings. I haven't used them in a week or so, waiting 2-5 minutes to find a host is just a pain in the ass so I'm just waiting for it to change and avoid the problem. I did end up clearing the Master challenge, my attempt at Lv20 was so much better than any attempt I made at Lv28. I'm kind of just letting things auto because I want to play Vesperia and after that it'll be Nexus.

Dark Souls Remastered.
I provoked Solaire and I defeated him. A difficult thing to do if you ask me.

Fire Emblem: Fates

well i got mozu to level 10 somehow but i dont have a master seal since i used the ones available on effie/odin and idr who else so rip i guess. hopefully i'll get a new one by the end of the next chapter

Horizon: Zero Dawn

i have zero complaints about it

Back