Would a game still feasibly be a Luigi game if Mario is of equal role?

What do you think of Mario starring in a Luigi game (no Mario in title)?

• It can still be a Luigi game even when Mario is Player 2 of equal footing.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • At most, Mario only takes a secondary role (like Cappy in SMO) to Luigi's primary role.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Mario can only at best have a supporting non-player role, leaving Luigi as the sole main character.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Mario must only be in the position of distress and Luigi is to be the sole rescuer of Mario!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's Luigi's game. Leave any traces of Mario out of it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
rkccbtmy19l61.jpg
I've looked at the list of games starring Luigi, and they have one thing in common: the tendency to put Mario in the backseat for Luigi to be the star. This decision could stem from how Mario's star power shines so bright that if he is in the title, he is expected to be the main character. The spotlight is so bright that there is understandably a fear that if another character is the star over Mario, there might be a controversy on questioning why the status of main character is foregone for a non-Mario character.

A few games that star Luigi solve the issue in two ways. The first is by restraining Mario so that he is helpless, putting the spotlight on Luigi so that he is the only one that can rescue his brother. This is best seen in many of the Luigi's Mansion games and Mario is Missing. The other solution is to simply leave Mario out of the game so that Luigi never have to deal with his brother unintentionally hogging the spotlight, which are best seen in Dr. Luigi and Luigi's Mansion Arcade. Perhaps this would be justified when Luigi was not considered a big character back before the Gamecube was released (remember: Luigi's appearances were not very frequent back then).

However, things have changed now. In this era, Luigi is unquestionably one of the biggest Nintendo characters, up there with Mario and some say bigger than Mario. In fact, Luigi has a year named after him and how fans are more inclined to aggrandise Luigi or to more easily forgive his misfortunes, compared to how Mario's flaws are amplified, accusations are still prevalent, and his qualities downplayed.

So this brings us to the main thrust of the topic. Since Luigi is already gotten an almost major star power as Mario himself, could Mario feasibly in Luigi's game while retaining the game's title right solely to Luigi? Mario is, after all, a very inviting fellow because even though he's the star, it's not unusual for him to invite his friends to co-star alongside him, like how a few have Luigi as an equal to Mario like Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D Land. What about if the roles are reversed? Such a thinking an understandably be difficult to envision, because all this while, Mario never got to play a significant supporting role in Luigi's games, and most Luigi games only star Luigi and Luigi only, even Luigi's Mansion 3 (Gooigi is still by all accounts Luigi in a different form), so the paradigm shift might be too much for some. That's where your opinions come in!

Thank you for reading.

I feel Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is the closest thing to a Luigi game where both Mario and Luigi have equal prominence, but you're still controlling Mario for most of the game. A chunk of the game is in Luigi's dreams, and you're fighting AS Mario with Luigis as assists; it's only Giant fights I feel Luigi is the one in control, but they kind of feel like an option 2. So, what do you think about how Dream Team handled this?

I feel Mario should just stay as the captive, supporting character or be absent altogether. Most Mario Spin-offs besides Luigi's mansion have him this way so that he doesn't hog the spotlight as well give more spotlight time to the original characters characters of those series.

is it still a mario game if luigi is a second player option? if so how would it not the opposite be true. people spend too much time wanting a luigi only game when games like superstar saga are equally as luigi focused but they have mario in them.

I feel Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is the closest thing to a Luigi game where both Mario and Luigi have equal prominence, but you're still controlling Mario for most of the game. A chunk of the game is in Luigi's dreams, and you're fighting AS Mario with Luigis as assists; it's only Giant fights I feel Luigi is the one in control, but they kind of feel like an option 2. So, what do you think about how Dream Team handled this?

honestly dream team isnt a very luigi game, the previous mario and luigi games gave me more luigi to chew on. stuffing hundreds of luigi into the game wont change the fact luigi as a whole is very downplayed.

then again my definition of a "luigi game" is probably much different from general population. i consider super paper mario a luigi game as it focuses on his character in an opposite role, and it's literally stated how he is THE needed part to the villain's plan, doesn't get much more luigi focused than that lollol.

If Luigi is the title character and primary playable character in the game, it would still be a Luigi game even if Mario is the 'Player 2 character' of the game.

(Also those Mario and Luigi renders on the magazine cover in the OP are fucking terrifying lmao)

is it still a mario game if luigi is a second player option? if so how would it not the opposite be true. people spend too much time wanting a luigi only game when games like superstar saga are equally as luigi focused but they have mario in them.
In my opinion it takes a lot more work for a secondary character (Luigi) to upstage the main character (Mario) if they're both around. Mario is the main character of the franchise, so having Luigi as an equal player 2 doesn't take anything away from him, but if you swap the two around and give Luigi top billing while still having Mario in an equal role... Ehhh, I'm not so sure that automatically makes it a Luigi game (or at least, I don't think it makes it worth trying to call it a Luigi game).

For me, really it depends on what they would do with it. If it were something like, giving top billing to Luigi in something like 3D World or NSMB and having Mario still be there at all times as another playable character, and a story so minimal that it doesn't matter if you have Luigi, Mario, or a sentient cardboard box, to me that would feel more like a cheap marketing gimmick than them attempting to make a Luigi game.

then again my definition of a "luigi game" is probably much different from general population. i consider super paper mario a luigi game as it focuses on his character in an opposite role, and it's literally stated how he is THE needed part to the villain's plan, doesn't get much more luigi focused than that lollol.
But isn't it true that Luigi isn't really used throughout a chunk of the game? I know Luigi is like eventually a vessel for a much bigger villain, but he also spends a big part of the game not even being himself. I still think Dream Team is more about Luigi; Luigi's a literal vessel here but he does manage to get fights entirely about him, with Mario merely support (though again in the regular dream realm, Mario's the one who's fighting, Luigi just helps him there).

But isn't it true that Luigi isn't really used throughout a chunk of the game? I know Luigi is like eventually a vessel for a much bigger villain, but he also spends a big part of the game not even being himself. I still think Dream Team is more about Luigi; Luigi's a literal vessel here but he does manage to get fights entirely about him, with Mario merely support (though again in the regular dream realm, Mario's the one who's fighting, Luigi just helps him there).

luigi isnt really seen for only two chapters, he's seen at the end of chapter 3 onward. i dont think playability is a factor into the overall luiginess of a game. super paper mario has a purposeful narrative to make you forget about luigi before smacking you in the face with him as a bad guy which i really love.

compared to dream team luigi only gets like 5 bosses to himself compared to the 14 other bosses that are fought as mario or mario and luigi. and luigi's character isn't really used that much after dreams deep. they put all their eggs in one basket and hoped the fake sense of "delving into luigi's character" would keep you through the whole experience. like they tell us dreamy luigi is luigi's ideal self, yet he still acts the same and looks the same compared to regular luigi?? and when we revist dreams deep it's just super bland and unnecessary. bowser's inside story had a more deeper look into bowser's character personally. i still do love dream team, but i dont think of it as a true luigi game, it is moreso a solid mario and luigi game that panders into the year of luigi branding.

I'm surprised there's no mention of Super Princess Peach, I think that game is still classified as a "Mario" game and not a "Peach" game despite Peach having a starring role and Mario is the supporting one.

I guess the same could apply to Captain Toad but Mario plays even less of a role there compared to his role in Super Princess Peach where he was pretty integral to the plot.

there is no such game as a luigi game cause by default it's still gonna be a part of the overall mario franchise

Back