Is Traction useful in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

In MK8DX, there's two types of Traction: on road and off road. On road is the main road you race and and the value is 0.75 regardless of level. Off road is the stuff that slows you down. It has flags like DIRT, SAND and ICE. I've tried different combinations and I can't tell a difference. In fact, it seems higher acceleration helps with off road instead of Traction. The thing is is the stat in the game is OFF ROAD Traction.

Ive been so confused on how this stat works. There's like three types and three stages like S, M and L, I need to know how this works. Is it a useful stat? Someone please help me, this stat is confused me for a while and I need answers please!

Maybe the offroad terrain sometimes isn't literally off-road, like the desert in Kalimari Desert (from Mario Kart 7), so my guess is that the tires with better off-road traction slide less compared to tires with worse traction. This is Mario Kart 7 stuff, but I'm not sure if it's applicable to Mario Kart 8 as well.

Maybe the offroad terrain sometimes isn't literally off-road, like the desert in Kalimari Desert (from Mario Kart 7), so my guess is that the tires with better off-road traction slide less compared to tires with worse traction. This is Mario Kart 7 stuff, but I'm not sure if it's applicable to Mario Kart 8 as well.
No because the sand parts on the main road are PART of the main road and any On Road Traction is locked at 0.75 regardless of level

Traction mechanics are exactly the same as in the original Mario Kart 8, so no, Traction is just as expendable in MK8D. In fact, the difference between low traction and high traction is so tiny while on sand or ice that it hardly affects your combination's overall performance at all.

Long story short, there's no real penalty for having the worst possible traction, and there's no real benefit for having the best possible traction.

Hmmm general rant but Mario Kart ought to do something about its goddamn "dump" stats like these.

Hmmm general rant but Mario Kart ought to do something about its goddamn "dump" stats like these.
I did modify MK8D's traction physics to make the Traction stat have a greater degree of importance. If your combo's Traction is too low, then it's going to have a rough time drifting on slippery terrain. And of course, higher traction equals less speed lost upon going off-road.
df1jiw0-f6f6fa73-812b-4933-9ef1-79e01a169a47.png

But even then, as long as Traction doesn't go below 7/24, slippery terrain performance won't be hindered all that much. And of course, it's only the heaviest characters whom can achieve the worst possible traction anyway.

Battle Mode!

I did modify MK8D's traction physics to make the Traction stat have a greater degree of importance. If your combo's Traction is too low, then it's going to have a rough time drifting on slippery terrain. And of course, higher traction equals less speed lost upon going off-road.
df1jiw0-f6f6fa73-812b-4933-9ef1-79e01a169a47.png

But even then, as long as Traction doesn't go below 7/24, slippery terrain performance won't be hindered all that much. And of course, it's only the heaviest characters whom can achieve the worst possible traction anyway.
I saw a comment in a Traction video that said that Traction applies to turning quickly in Battle Mode (you hold brake while you're moving and turn). I tested this using Bowser, Gold Standard, Slick Wheels and Paraglider for Low Traction and Bowser, Tanooki Kart, Monster and Super Glider for High Traction and I found virtually no difference when I did the hard turns.

Back