MarioWiki Poll Discussion

Guess I'll vote three because I think very strongly on favor of a combination of options and balance so I think it the most strongly, but there are other options here I think very strongly as well.

D8345268-6DD4-44FA-9062-3DB7F163F29E.png

Today marks the first birthday of my very first poll, covering what battle system the next Paper Mario game should have!

What was your reaction to The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023) teaser trailer?

• I was excited about the movie before the trailer and this movie increased my excitement.
  • I am excited about the movie and the quality of the voice acting and casting surprised me.
  • I was skeptical of the movie before the trailer, but I am now excited about it.
  • I am excited about the movie, but I have reservations about the voice acting and casting.
  • I was excited about the movie before the trailer, but now I am skeptical of it.
  • I was excited about the movie, but the voice acting and casting disappointed me.
  • The trailer has not changed my thoughts about the movie.
  • I have not seen the trailer.

Personally, I'm option 7. I think that the movie looks okay, and that Jack Black is great, but I already figured he would be the best one before the trailer even came out. Likewise, I expected Pratt to suck.

Ultimately I just don't care very much about the movie either way though. It's probably going to turn out fine but I dislike 99% of Illumination's output so it was never aimed at me

Option 3. I thought the movie was going to be mediocre at best…and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it went.

Option 7 for me, I didn't really care about the movie before and still don't, it looks like it's going to be just okay which is to be expected. The things I was most curious about were mainly 1. how is the voice acting 2. what does it look like and 3. what the heck is it called so the wiki can stop calling it "untitled Mario film". I will say I do like the visuals, Jack Black pulls off Bowser really well and Keegan Michael-Key's Toad is pretty good too. Chris Pratt Mario... well, sure is Chris Pratt Mario.

Writing this I realize I was more interested to know anything about the movie than about the movie itself, so now that the cat's out of the bag it's just kind of whatever.

Credit where credit is due, the movie looks a lot better than I expected, although I expected pretty much nothing or at worst a glorious shit show. The animation is a noticable improvement especially when compared to the cheap plastic look of Illumination's other films.

Chris Pratt looked so bored in the direct, like he should be ecstatic and I hope that doesn't translate into film but the trailer didn't help his case. Everyone else did a great vocal performance. Makes me wish we were getting a Bowser movie instead a bit because that stuff in the trailer was so much more interesting than the Mario bits.

That being said I have no attachment either way. I'm intrigued at the very least, like "wow this movie doesn't look like complete dogshit" but I'm also not like "OMG I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE RIGHT NOW"

Mario games have had varying levels of amiibo functionality. Which method of implementing amiibo do you like the most?
  • I prefer when the entire game is built around amiibo (i.e. Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge).
  • I prefer when amiibo are the core of a side mode (i.e. Mario Party 10's amiibo Party mode).
  • I prefer when certain features in the game are tied exclusively to amiibo (i.e. Super Mario Maker's Big Mushroom).
  • I prefer when amiibo are used to unlock exclusive items in the game (such as costumes) that can't be obtained otherwise, but aren't very important to gameplay.
  • I prefer when amiibo are used to unlock certain items early or make the game easier (such as getting a power-up) as long as they can also be obtained without amiibo.
  • I do not like amiibo being used in Mario games at all.
  • I have no opinion.

I'm probably option 5/6. I've never liked Amiibo as a mechanic, and would prefer it just not exist, but I'll tolerate them being used for unlockables as long as I can get them myself without absurd grind.

Option 4/5. I don't really use amiibo as much as I used to use them…but that's mostly because most of the games that implement them these days have the amiibo functionality tucked away so that unless you really want to use them, you can play the game normally.

Probably option 5 for me. Even if it's just cosmetic items, I don't really like anything being locked behind amiibo. On top of the price of the game itself, they're not really cheap even if you can get them at retail prices, and availability for pretty much all of them isn't that great. If you're trying to get in on an older game now, good luck tracking down all the amiibo for it at reasonable prices (and in the early days there was a lot of "have this unrelated amiibo to unlock thing" like MK8's driver suits or Woolly World's Yoshi patterns expecting you to have Smash amiibo that weren't at all easy to track down).

It's a lot better implementing it like Bowser's Fury where you get a free power-up or can skip a time-based thing, or Odyssey where you can unlock costumes early or get hints for collectibles. That way you reward people who did buy them while not punishing anyone who didn't get them by gating content.

6, I don't care enough about amiibo to have an opinion on this subject.

I hate having to pay extra money to 100% a game. Amiibo should only be used to get things early that can be obtained without amiibo.

MarioItems.png

What kinds of Mario merchandise have you owned?
-LEGO Super Mario
-Mario Kart Hot Wheels
-Mario Kart RC Cars
-Amiibo
-Plushies
-Action Figures
-Board/Card Games
-Apparel
-Food
-I have not owned any Mario merchandise
-Other/Not Listed
I've owned amiibo and Nintendo Monopoly but not anything else.

Attachments

• E3B42A35-0CE5-4AAD-B1BD-BC4E99FB65F3.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 63
  • EAE996AF-EAB8-4EED-A797-A5E17FC4758A.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
What kinds of Mario merchandise have you owned?
  • LEGO Super Mario
  • Mario Kart Hot Wheels
  • Mario Kart RC Cars
  • Amiibo
  • Plushies
  • Action Figures
  • Board/Card Games
  • Apparel
  • Food
  • I have not owned any Mario merchandise
  • Other/Not Listed
New poll, this time from @Vruet, regarding which, if any, Mario merchandise you've owned. For me personally, it comes down to mostly just a copy of the Mario chess set that I've had for many years now, as well as an Uno deck that I was gifted once. I have one Amiibo, but it's Ridley, who is not a Mario character really.

This poll's been up for a few minutes, but I forgot to toggle on multiple selections until just now, so if you've already voted and were only able to select one option despite qualifying for multiple, feel free to go back and vote again for the other things you may own.

does "Food" refer to toys included as part of promotional fast food/candy tie-ins (e.g. McDonald's Happy Meal Mario toys)? or just Mario-themed consumables?

I had (and still probably have in a box somewhere) a Mario action figure I bought forever ago at Nintendo World in NYC (Now known as Nintendo New York)
Also have a Super Mario Galaxy themed jigsaw puzzle lying around somewhere.

does "Food" refer to toys included as part of promotional fast food/candy tie-ins (e.g. McDonald's Happy Meal Mario toys)? or just Mario-themed consumables?

Food is intended to refer to novelty Mario themed food items etc. I figure Happy Meal toys and the like would probably all fit into some of the other categories regardless. Ultimately it'd be hard to categorize everything perfectly for such a wide topic.

I own amiibo, plushies, figures, and a board game (specifically Monopoly Gamer.)

These polls should require logging in and also only allow one vote per account
The vast, vast majority of poll votes are done by random people visiting the page, not by actual wiki members. The ratio of members to visitors is immensely skewed in favor of the latter and it would absolutely tank our poll engagement. Besides, unlike Awards, the bi-weekly polls are not a contest. It doesn't matter if someone votes multiple times. At the end of the day, anyone doing that is just wasting their own time.

It has been over 20 years since the last cartoon show based on the Mario franchise. Would you like to see a new cartoon show?
  • Yes, I would like to see an entirely new Mario cartoon.
  • Yes, but I would rather it be a reboot or continuation of one of the DiC cartoons.
  • Yes, but I would rather it be a continuation of the Super Mario Bros. movie.
  • Yes, but I would prefer it to be based on a spin-off (Donkey Kong, WarioWare, etc)
  • I would not mind a new cartoon, although I would prefer a different type of media.
  • No, I do not think Mario should have another cartoon.
  • I have no opinion.

With a bunch of new footage and a good picture of what the Mario Bros. movie will be like, today's poll addresses television content, potentially related to the movie. Would you like to see a TV show based on the movie? A revival of the Super Show? Nintendo has a lot of opportunity to capitalize on their biggest franchise now, especially with a new in-house animation studio.

I, personally, am neutral on the subject, but the movie looks quite nice visually, and even if it was toned down a bit in terms of animation quality, the actual designs shown off in the movie would probably work well in a new animated series. I am partial to the old DiC cartoons though, because I'm an idiot nostalgia goblin. I miss the old days where video game cartoons just took basic character concepts and threw them into insane nonsense sitcom scenarios and other such irrelevant plotlines.

D62E4A61-2C27-4E46-B478-EC079265B479.jpeg

Adding image for more completion

Option 1; I think a cartoon would be the best version but since I don't know how good the Mario Movie will be, I like the main Mario series the most, and I want something new, that led me to this option. It seems to be doing quite well too.

Yes, I would love a new cartoon! While the old ones are fine and all, not only are they outdated, but they also have lots of errors and cheesy song numbers, so a new cartoon without any of that would be nice.

Option 1. I think there's a lot of potential for a new Mario cartoon, but the DiC cartoons are very much a product of their time so I think it would be better to start fresh. I've already said I don't care that much about The Super Mario Bros. Movie, so I don't find the concept of a TV show set in that continuity too appealing, but I'd have to see how that plays out before making a final judgment on it. (Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if the jump from movie to TV show lost at least a few of the big-name actors, and the idea of a voice actor impersonating Chris Pratt to play Mario is really freaking weird.)

I will say, if there were a new TV show, I'd prefer if it was given its own continuity to play with instead of trying to stick to the "continuity" of the games (if such a thing even exists). Let them do their own spins on characters, settings, and events if they want instead of having to treat all the games as if they happened.

Mario Kart Tour has recently updated, removing the pipe "gacha" system and replacing it with a rotating shop. How do you feel about this change?
  • I support the change wholeheartedly, as I can buy whatever item I want guaranteed.
  • I support the change, but think some aspects (pricing, selection, etc.) were handled poorly.
  • I dislike the change, due to the much higher item prices and lack of free currency.
  • I dislike the change, as I enjoyed the pipe system and seeing what I would get.
  • I have no opinion.

I don't play the game and never have, but I am generally opposed to gacha mechanics in all forms unless its useless free stuff like the trophy gacha in Super Smash Bros. Melee, so I do support the change. However it also seems like their prices are outright predatory now to compensate, which is hilarious. I'm option 2 as a result.

I don't play MKT, so I have no opinion on this matter.

Back