MarioWiki Poll Discussion

@Herlock Sholmes Here I'll add picture for more of a feeling of completion
3130D64F-45C3-4ADE-9DE9-7EFE6FFACA48.jpeg
Don't really care because even with it being more predictable, that prices skyrocketed like this still isn't a positive. Plus I don't have Tour either and I'm not massive on most freemium games

@Herlock Sholmes Here I'll add picture for more of a feeling of completion
View attachment 31557Don't really care because even with it being more predictable, that prices skyrocketed like this still isn't a positive. Plus I don't have Tour either and I'm not massive on most freemium games

Hi.

I can't speak on the behalf of the entire committee, however, I am a member of the committee, and this is simply my own opinion.

I realize that you have been on the committee in the past, and while I thank you for that, you are no longer a member of the committee, and posting the images when the head of the committee does not...it rubs me the wrong way, you know? Don't go around correcting a issue that does not exist. I am not trying to be rude, I'm simply saying that if the image is not included, there is probably a good reason for it.

Again, this is my own opinion, and I am not speaking on behalf of the committee in any way. Thank you.

Thank you LJS, and I'll elaborate on why I do not post the image.

The reason I do not include the images in my original posts is because frankly they are almost never relevant to the poll at hand and shouldn't really be something that influences your choice anyway. They're mostly there for aesthetic and to be honest I have found attempting to format the image alongside the poll in forum posts to be kind of ugly and distracting. I could very well post the images without issue, but I like to keep the poll posts looking relatively clean.

Notably as well, the previous committee sometimes would have a poll posted here without an image, and you never corrected that despite actually being on the committee. I've been taking what you've been doing in these threads so far in relative good faith as opposed to a snide attempt to diss the poll committee or a plea for membership, things that you've been warned by forum moderation about, but posting a huge blown up version of an already-shrunken poll picture after the poll goes up doesn't actually add anything meaningful to these threads.

Now, with that being said, while I may not personally think you carry any malice with these posts, I do need to remind you yet again that if your ultimate aim is to improve yourself to one day get back on the committee, continuing to hover around the poll committee in various venues and essentially roleplay as an unofficial member is absolutely not the way to do it.

Notably as well, the previous committee sometimes would have a poll posted here without an image, and you never corrected that despite actually being on the committee.
That was because I started feeling more bugged by pictures not being included around August, when the 13th Committee started. I won't persist in said behavior since it was deemed not the way to go.

continuing to hover around the poll committee in various venues and essentially roleplay as an unofficial member is absolutely not the way to do it.
I can understand this instance being something I shouldn't do, but I don't consider myself to have "roleplayed as an unofficial Poll Committee member" anywhere else. There's not a "yet again" here.

Anyway to change the topic I'm surprised wholehearted support is the most popular option right now, considering the price criticisms are very valid.

Last edited:
Going with either options 1 or 2 for this poll. I haven't played Mario Kart Tour, but having played games with similar mechanics and considering MKT's target audience, it's better to pick and choose what you want to buy than burn your entire paycheck trying to pull your favorite character, even with a pity system for the latter.

The pricing for the rubies might need to be fixed tho.

Mario platformers typically feature many power-ups that grant Mario different abilities, often introducing new ones. How many new power-ups do you like to see in a game?
  • I prefer when a game's power-ups are all or mostly brand new to the franchise.
  • I prefer when a game has several new power-ups with some returning power-ups as well.
  • I prefer when a game has one new power-up with a lot of development put into it, with the rest of the power-ups being returning.
  • I prefer when a game has new power-ups, but I am okay with returning power-ups provided they work differently from before or are introduced to a new format (i.e. 2D power-ups in 3D Mario)
  • I prefer to see only returning power-ups in games.
  • I don't like power-ups and would prefer to see a game that doesn't have them at all.
  • I have no opinion.

Today's poll is from Waluigi Time and myself, regarding the various power-ups across the series and whether you prefer new power-ups in a game vs. existing ones or even a game completely devoid of them.

Personally I'm probably option 4. I don't care that much about power-ups on the whole but generally prefer a fresh experience to yet another game with all the same stuff. However, sometimes when the power-up is used in a new format, like the Racoon Leaf and Fire Flower in 3D Land, it feels unique enough to me that it may as well be new anyway.

I prefer option 4. New power-ups are fun and exciting, but if they don't have a lot of thought put into them, I'd rather see the returning ones get some form of change in how they're used so that they feel fresh again.

I like seeing both returning power-ups and new power-ups; more variety is usually better. So Option 2, or even 4, but I voted for the former because I don't mind returning power-ups being the same sometimes as before if it doesn't feel like the game somehow goes overboard with this (i.e. making NONE of the returning power-ups different.)

Now that we are over a year in, what is your opinion of the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack?
  • I pay for the Expansion Pack and enjoy it, as I feel like it provides enough retro games and DLC benefits to justify the cost.
  • I pay for the Expansion Pack and enjoy its DLC benefits and retro games, but feel as though it needs more content in either category to justify the cost.
  • I pay for the Expansion Pack because I already pay for Nintendo Switch Online and may as well pay extra for additional content.
  • I do not pay for the Expansion Pack, as I don't feel as though it provides enough retro games or DLC benefits to justify the cost, but would if it introduced content that I was interested in.
  • I do not pay for the Expansion Pack and do not plan on doing so, as I don't feel as though it provides enough retro games or DLC benefits to justify the cost, and in my opinion it likely never will.
  • I do not pay for the Expansion Pack as I do not support paid online features in any form.
  • I do not pay for the Expansion Pack as I do not play my Nintendo Switch online or have any interest in online features or downloadable content
  • I do not have a Nintendo Switch.

Today we're gonna talk about Nintendo Switch Online, namely the Expansion Pack additional subscription. This is definitely a controversial feature to be sure, especially with the lack of a proper Virtual Console outside of it like Nintendo's previous consoles had. Personally, I'm a mix between options 5 and 6, where I generally don't like paid online, but am willing to put up with it if its necessary or provides some useful benefit like Xbox Game Pass/Live. Nintendo Switch Online doesn't come anywhere close to that, so I only buy a month of even the default version at a time if I have to join a Smash tournament here or something.

Interested to see how this one turns out - reactions I have seen from this community tend to be negative on the issue, but I am curious to know if there's a silent majority in support of it.

Also, I've fallen a bit behind on the poll archives and will be updating those tonight. Between the major proposal and some other things, I haven't had much time to sit down and archive them. Archiving a poll has to be done manually by creating the template and feeding the data into it, and it's a bit of a time consuming and tedious process that is dreadful to do on mobile, which is where I do the vast majority of my posting and internet interaction in general.

Option 4, none of the games that have been released through the Expansion Pack have been compelling enough for me personally to justify spending that much extra money on top of the base online, and I don't even know if I have any games that the "free" DLC offer is good for. The only way I could see myself buying any expansions in the future is if they add TTYD at some point, and even then I'd only be paying for it long enough to complete a run of the game.

Option 6. I don't have Switch Online and probably won't get it anytime soon.

I was the creator of the first NSO Online Expansion poll airing through Christmas of 2021, and was happy to see the negative reception toward the expansion then. I voted then that the unreasonable price made it so that I would only buy the expansion if a vast quantity of new content was added, and I am still voting for the equivalent option here, Option 4. If there was GameCube game catalog and a GBA game catalog, that would increase my interest, but even that there's N64 games isn't enough. (I actually currently have a year of free NSO Expansion about to end because I bought three years of Switch Online at once, but I do not plan to pay for keeping it once the free section ends)

With Nintendo releasing the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Pass Wave 3 recently, how pleased are you with the Booster Pass so far?

• I am perfectly happy with the Booster Pass.
  • I am fine with it, although I wished the Booster Pass added different types of content, such as kart parts or characters.
  • I am fine with it, although I wish the course selection for the waves was different.
  • I am not happy with the Booster Pass, and I wish that Nintendo had done DLC differently for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
  • I am not happy with the Booster Pass, and I wish that Nintendo focus on developing an entirely new Mario Kart game.
  • I have no opinion.

We're quite a way into Nintendo's Booster Passes for MK8 now, so now that there's been a little while for people to play the newest wave to their heart's content, we're interested to hear what you think so far. Personally, while I'm aware that largely they're just ports from Tour, I'd really prefer that the effort go towards a new Mario Kart game at this point. Don't get me wrong, 8 Deluxe is great, but it's starting to get kind of stale, especially because they've just added courses and nothing else. At the same time though, I don't think that just adding new characters or vehicles would really help.

Last edited:
I don't play MK8, so I don't have an opinion on this.

Option 2 because while it added quite a few courses I liked in previous games having to pay that much for it without the NSO Expansion should at least have a lower moderate quantity of new kart material and characters. Even a fraction of them being brought back from previous games would be fine as long as some new kart parts and characters were added in the expansion too.

I have noticed one could strongly think both Options 2 and 3. Oh well.

I'm going with option 1, because I don't really have any complaints about the Booster Pass and I feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it. I do wish the courses were being built from the ground up like the base game retro tracks rather than being mostly ports, though.

Give us Wario Colosseum, too, please.

That said, I'm with FWD, really, though. This is alright, but I'd rather see Mario Kart 9 come along.

Well this poll is fortunately slightly outdated now that the Expansion Pack added what is hopefully the first in a series of new characters. I hope they keep this up.

The Mario & Luigi series has been dormant since AlphaDream's bankruptcy in 2019. How would you like the series to continue?
  • I would like Nintendo or another studio to develop a new Mario & Luigi game.
  • I would like to see remakes/remasters of the existing games, but I do not think Nintendo should make a new one.
  • I would like to see the original games re-released on other hardware, but I do not think Nintendo should remaster them or make a new one.
  • I would like Nintendo to create a new RPG series to replace Mario & Luigi.
  • I do not like Mario & Luigi and don't want to see it continue in any form.
  • I have no opinion.

This poll is addressing the rather strange situation that the franchise has found itself in. As Nintendo's last true Mario RPG series after the shift that the Paper Mario series took, what's going to happen to the series now that their primary development studio's dead? Personally, I'm not much of a zealot when it comes to this topic, I only really think that Superstar Saga was all that great.

If Nintendo wants to keep the series going, that'd be good, because it fills a niche that is otherwise now completely empty and the gameplay was always pretty fun - but if they just want to make a new RPG series or even just rerelease it over and over and otherwise let it die, I probably wouldn't care. Maybe tackling the games with a fresh dev team would ultimately be a good thing anyway, the last few M&Ls were not great.

Option 3. Rereleases are the best way to experience this series in its purist form without the extra modes added when the games were remade. I also think that Nintendo should just make a new RPG game, as Paper Mario is far removed from traditional rpg elements now, and it'll need a new companion in order to survive the next few years.

Option 1 another M&L game, easy. Though even if it was the same gameplay but with Wario and Waluigi I would accept that.

Option 4. I like the Mario & Luigi series well enough, but I've never really been a massive fan of it, I'm more of a Paper Mario guy. Honestly I think starting with Dream Team things started going downhill, and then it crashed and burned with Paper Jam and the cash grab remakes. It's a good time to experiment and start fresh. I wouldn't be opposed to re-releases, and those are probably going to happen going forward if Superstar Saga getting on NSO is any indication, but I don't think that should be Nintendo's main focus for Mario RPGs going forward.

On which of these Nintendo systems have you played Mario games?
  • NES/Famicom
  • SNES
  • Nintendo 64
  • Gamecube
  • Wii
  • Wii U
  • Switch
  • Game Boy/Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo 3DS

A special guest poll from @Hooded Pitohui, this one asks our front page visitors a simple question about which systems they've played games from the Mario series on. For me, it's literally all of them actually. I've been playing video games since I was a kid, and I've played at least one game from the franchise on each of these over the years on actual hardware too, even if said hardware sometimes belonged to a friend or family member. I've owned everything from the SNES up though.

I've played Mario titles on the 3DS, Wii, Wii U, and Switch.

Back