Your favorite one off concepts

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
What is a Mario element that only appeared once or not very much that you like a lot and want to see more?

For me, the locations of the first two Super Mario Land games, I want to see how life is there when things are a bit more peaceful

Last edited:
Yes, I know it was a dream.

A darn good one!

My favourite one-off concept has to be everything that defines Cappy, gameplay-wise. It may seem like a trite choice, but there's no denying the cap-throwing mechanic was executed really well, both in how smoothly it is carried out and how creatively it is used to manipulate enemies and objects. In addition, I commend it for giving way to the game's overarching hat theme. In turn, this influenced the concept of hat-collecting, which served as a fitting side objective to run concurrently with the game's multicultural and globetrotting nature.

F.L.U.D.D. from Super Mario Sunshine. This simple device adds a lot to Mario's moveset, granting him a ranged attack, extra opportunities to stay in air, and enhances his movement. Some people would lament this device because of what it removed (e.g. long jump), but the game that introduced it made Mario a lot of fun to control.

A future game could polish the level design around the FLUDD and give it some improvements. After all, Luigi gets to use the Poltergust in more than one game, so I think it's fair that Mario should be able to use the FLUDD more than once too.

Thank you for reading.

Back