The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

SuperShyGuy

Tumble But Green
Banned User
MarioWiki
TumbleCube
Okay, so a few years ago Nintendo and Universal Studios made a deal to make a Super Mario Bros. movie. Then jump another few years later and they made it clear about the year this movie will come out (which happened to be 2022).
This is basically a thread to discuss about it so far and stuff, even though it hasn't been in theaters yet.

If they put Minions in it will they be friend or foe to Rabbids?
Will Mario and friends speak real words, or will it be old-school slapstick?
Will it follow game logic or make up its own? (ie. How does a fire flower work?)
Will it be better than the original animated Mario movie?
Will it keep up to date with source material or will it take the plumber route?

Assuming it's accurate to modern source material, I wonder if it will incorporate spinoffs like Kart, Party, and Dr. into it. It'd be neat to see a whole Mario world neatly including everything Mario.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even put Yoshi in the most likely tier, he's not in the same realm of importance as Luigi, Toad, and Peach are.

I wouldn't even put Yoshi in the most likely tier, he's not in the same realm of importance as Luigi, Toad, and Peach are.
Then again, he is a staple of the Mario franchise, having countless cameos, merchandise, games, and most importantly....
F O O D.
But, we all have our opinions, and basically almost all of them at least differ in one way.

Can't even appear in the Mario + Rabbids sequel though. Or Luigi's Mansion.

Assuming it's accurate to modern source material, I wonder if it will incorporate spinoffs like Kart, Party, and Dr. into it. It'd be neat to see a whole Mario world neatly including everything Mario.

You do realize how absurdly big the Mario world is right? And this will probably be a 90 minute film at most. Cramming in all that shit into one movie would make it a cluster fuck.

They'll probably play it pretty safe. I could see the cast including Mario, Peach, Bowser, a bunch of different colored toads as citizens and maybe Luigi. Also Birdo. It will probably just be an average, nicely animated Mario adventure.

You do realize how absurdly big the Mario world is right? And this will probably be a 90 minute film at most. Cramming in all that shit into one movie would make it a cluster fuck.
That's why I feel a new TV show will better fit the episodic feel of the Mario world anyhow

If they don't make Charles reprise his roles for the movie, I'll accuse EVERYONE IN THAT STUDIO of being a diva!!!!

EDIT: According to IMDb, the movie should release in September 2022.
I overlooked this. That's not a source.

Last edited:
So I've been thinking about this movie and I gotta ask - Is Mario gonna talk?

Nowadays Mario isn't much of a talker, he really only speaks in short phrases. So are they gonna have him do that for the entire movie? Can short catchphrases like "Let's a go!" and "Mamma Mia" really work in this movie? Or are they just gonna have Charles Martinet talk in complete sentences with Mario's voice? I think that's possible, but it'd be pretty weird.

They could do what some of the RPGs do, and make a dedicated character who can speak to the audience (Like Starlow for example), while just having Mario speak in his usual short catchphrases. I think that would be the best choice, but it could be kinda annoying to hear 1 character talk 90% of the time.

I feel like DK actually has more of a chance of appearing than Wario relevance wise

even as cameos?

So I've been thinking about this movie and I gotta ask - Is Mario gonna talk?

Nowadays Mario isn't much of a talker, he really only speaks in short phrases. So are they gonna have him do that for the entire movie? Can short catchphrases like "Let's a go!" and "Mamma Mia" really work in this movie? Or are they just gonna have Charles Martinet talk in complete sentences with Mario's voice? I think that's possible, but it'd be pretty weird.

They could do what some of the RPGs do, and make a dedicated character who can speak to the audience (Like Starlow for example), while just having Mario speak in his usual short catchphrases. I think that would be the best choice, but it could be kinda annoying to hear 1 character talk 90% of the time.
I want him to talk but I'm just coming in to this expecting that he won't. Having other characters speak for Mario might work game-wise but will sure be pretty grating movie-wise.

That being said, Nintendo's not 100% shy making Mario talk. This video is from 2017.

If you're the type who considers Cat Mario and Mario to be the same character (unlike the idea that Mario and Metal Mario are different), he talks even until now, because the Japanese version of that show is still going on.

I have to agree that Wario isn't necessarily likely, given how he's treated as the same level as Daisy and Waluigi in the Mario branch, albeit only slightly better. Donkey Kong is more likely because he's more popular as a character.

Thank you for reading.

Back