Dash Pepper Mafia (Concept)

Sir Pentious

I have a problem
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
1619988499799.png

Bowser's stolen Peach away again- but this time things are different!
In order to confuse Mario and his friends, he has used Kamek's magical powers to disguise some of his Koopa Troopas as friendly Toadstools, and planted them among the ranks of our heroes! Can Mario and co save the day in record time?

Welcome to Marioboard's first Dash Pepper Mafia!
This isn't just any kind of Mafia. It is a high speed, high stakes Mafia game that lasts less than 2 hours.
You heard me right. Less than 2 hours. I'm going to assume most of you know how to play Mafia already. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend making this your learn-to-play game, because of how fast-paced everything is going to be.

Timing
This Mafia game will start on the evening that is most convenient for everyone here, running from 9:30 to 11:10 EST (this can be reworked depending on what is most convenient for everyone, but that will be around the time it should be running. Putting your time zone in your submission can help with this). Day phases will last 11 minutes, and Night phases will last 5 minutes.

Roles
There are slots for 12 players total. Since this is our first Dash Pepper Mafia, I'm going to keep the role setup simple.

Toad (x6) Vanilla Townie
Doctor Mario Can attempt to save a player each night. Can't save the same player two nights in a row.
Pennington Can investigate one player each night and determine their alignment, but not their specific role.
Ninja Toad Can eliminate one player on a night phase with 2 or more Mafia. Can only use this power once, then acts as a regular Toad.
Koopa (x3) Can speak in a special chat and vote to eliminate someone every night phase.

Players

Subs

I'm sorry man, but 11 minutes for a day phase is FAR too short to get anything fun out of it, much less, 5 minutes for a night phase (I never played as a Mafia side so I don't know how long discourse typically goes).

not something im really interested in right now, but i will pitch in and say that i do agree with l64dd here. the forum software really isnt that well suited to quickfire and rapid discussion based games since you'll get heaps of post conflicts with people trying to have their say in the short time period while having to press the button to get the new posts displayed, as opposed to a chat service where anything you post appears and is able to be read instantly, making people posting at the same time much less frustrating to navigate. i know people in the roleplay board work around this but it seems like a disadvantage when theres much better venues to do this in easily available

also, fwiw, i think 30 mins for a game like this defeats the purpose. the point is a short and sweet game, much like you'd have playing irl mafia with your pals. doing 30 mins per phase with 12 players would mean the game would take 6 hours to finish, which i feel is unreasonable to be asking players to stick around for all in one go. 10-15 minute phases in a live chat environment should work fine and will only take 2-3 hours, a much smaller time investment

not something im really interested in right now, but i will pitch in and say that i do agree with l64dd here. the forum software really isnt that well suited to quickfire and rapid discussion based games since you'll get heaps of post conflicts with people trying to have their say in the short time period while having to press the button to get the new posts displayed, as opposed to a chat service where anything you post appears and is able to be read instantly, making people posting at the same time much less frustrating to navigate. i know people in the roleplay board work around this but it seems like a disadvantage when theres much better venues to do this in easily available

also, fwiw, i think 30 mins for a game like this defeats the purpose. the point is a short and sweet game, much like you'd have playing irl mafia with your pals. doing 30 mins per phase with 12 players would mean the game would take 6 hours to finish, which i feel is unreasonable to be asking players to stick around for all in one go. 10-15 minute phases in a live chat environment should work fine and will only take 2-3 hours, a much smaller time investment
I think this is a good idea! Although something like this would be better suited to an instant messaging service like Discord then the boards imo
I can host this on the MCCW discord server, MarioBoards server, or make a server specifically for this?

Echoing other people but yeah, play Werewolf over Discord for a way better experience

Back