Best 2D Mario platformer?

Even so, Koopa Con Carne's post sounds like he didn't even think the game is totally terrible; it's clear he wanted to like it but there were a myriad of annoyances that prevented him from enjoying the game. I think it's reasonable to explain why his expectations were a bit smothered by how the game actually plays.

Eh, I do need to cut down on the habit of analysing subjects in such a negative light.

If there's any reason I sound so negative on this media franchise time and time again, it's because I am much too concerned with the little marks that taint it. It's a fictional universe that I grew up alongside and feel a degree of attachment to, but this attachment is expressed rather unconventionally. When something is pure perfection

like yoshi's island

I don't usually feel like voicing my opinion on it.

No Chevywolf is just acting trollish. You're entitled to that opinion and if someone is bothered by negativity on a game that's their problem.

I kinda am acting trollish, but I'm not really being spiteful. I was just a little irritated and surprised that someone could be so negative about such a great game, so I got sarcastic which I do a lot.

(Also, the name's ...)

I guess I haven't contributed to this thread yet.

My favorite 2D platformer is New Super Mario Bros. Wii, followed by Super Mario Bros. 2. Wii had multiplayer and mods; I even worked on a mod for New Super Mario Bros. Wii which changed the Toads into the Baby Mario Bros. which increased my enjoyment of the game tenfold, as well as modding the music and voices. Had so much fun both playing it, playing Newer, and enjoying it with all of that.

Super Mario Bros. 2 USA (specifically the GBA version) is my favorite of the classics because playable Toad, no time limit, allowing you to mess around in levels in your own pace and encourages some exploration (such as the trial and error Yoshi eggs in the GBA version but because the potions are trial and error, can be annoying to get at points) and picking and throwing enemies is just fun. The bosses aren't that special but I did enjoy all of them. The soundtrack is only like, three pieces but it's pretty average at the time and I still enjoy the music it had.

Oop hadn't realized it was specific to 2D
Um.. I guess Super Mario World GBA even though I've never had the luxury to play it because it was always always always out of stock and now the price has skyrocketed. Anyway, I loved SMW on the SNES as a kid and I hear the GBA version has save anywhere feature, easier to get color yoshis, and Luigi has his Subcon physics .
On that note, I have a feeling Maker 1&2 will become my new favorite once I play it. An endless variety of SMW was like my childhood dream.

I hear the GBA version has save anywhere feature, easier to get color yoshis, and Luigi has his Subcon physics .

All of that is true. You can easily get the color Yoshis once you unlock them in the Star World and Luigi does in fact play differently and you can play as him any time. I have NO clue why the GBA port of SMB3 doesn't let you play as Luigi whenever you want, that baffles me and I hate it.

The GBA version actually has a point to collecting the dragon coins too. In addition to the nice menu you get that lets you access any level you like once unlocked without trekking throughout the world map to get to the level, it keeps track of your dragon coins and once you collect them all, it turns into Peach coins. It's not as huge as, say, Fall, but it's nice that there's actually an incentive rather than in the original game where they machine gun you lives anyway.

Now if only the screen wasn't so zoomed in.

I enjoy New Super Luigi U Better Than NSMBU. One thing to highlight (in my opinion) is the Level design.
Some Of Them Include:
Stone Eyes that Come Towards You
A Vertical Jungle level where you climb up a beanstalk
Rainbow Platforms
Bouncing Off Of Wigglers to use them as Platforms
Spine Coasters But Not in a Volcano Level
Giant Guysers (however you spell it)
A Vertical Jungle Level

If we're counting any Mario game that is platforming based and 2D, Super Paper Mario but for reasons completely unrelated to the 2D platforming. If only main-series, Super Mario Maker 2. If Maker doesn't count, SMW

Back